1.    #1  
    I'm trying to figure out Dial Up Networking on my new Sprint 700p.

The materials with the phone seem to indicate that the USB cable that came with the phone will work, although the Sprint CS rep told me that I have to go to the Sprint store to sign up for the service and that I would then need a special cable....mmmmm.

Also, I tried to download the Sprint Connection Manager. Just finding this software was a challenge as they have multiple versions of it. I have an XP laptop. I installed the software which offers drivers for every type of phone BUT not the Treo 700p. Once installed and ran, it does not recognize that my phone is attached. Mmmmmmm.

If anybody has the link to the software that will work for me and / or verify that the cable included with the 700p is what I need, I would appreciate it.
    Carter Patterson
    This reminds me of that Mac commercial that's running now. "Everything just works with a Mac..."

I hooked the phone via Bluetooth to the MacBook Pro and everything worked like a charm the first time - Sprint DUN is one of the standard options in OSX, no special software from Sprint required. Tested my speed at dslreports.com/stest and got 350 down 35 up. I'll be sitting pretty next time our office WiFi is out for whatever reason and I'm still humming along...

(Sorry, couldn't resist I just switched from XP to Mac last week and have been having fun discovering how much progress they made over XP since I last used a Mac).

Anyway, when I was installing HotSync, I noticed that the installation disk comes with a new version of Sprint Connect software for XP - you might want to try the version off your installation disk instead of the version downloaded from their site.

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    ... the installation disk comes with a new version of Sprint Connect software for XP - you might want to try the version off your installation disk instead of the version downloaded from their site.

Ding ding... we have a winner...
    First off, how do you turn on DUN? It isn't an option in Bluetooth. And secondly, can I still use the non-EVDO connection (slow) for no additional charge? I can't justify $40-$50 a month to use on my powerbook (it made sense before, if I needed Internet access in the car or if the Internet went out at work)
    what are the plans for the treo 700 and DUN? $40+ /month for unlimited laptop usage?
    Extra $15 per month to use with laptop (internet on laptop). This is on top of the dataplan at $45.... around $60 in total....

They may have some signup specials.
    Is that Verizon?? Must be, the Sprint homepage has "Phone as a Modem" Power Vision plan for $25.00 / month. That's not on top of any other data plan, it's simply just "one of the normal offerings"...
    Quote Originally Posted by spookysco
    Is that Verizon?? Must be, the Sprint homepage has "Phone as a Modem" Power Vision plan for $25.00 / month. That's not on top of any other data plan, it's simply just "one of the normal offerings"...
    Yes, but read the fine print on Sprint - that $25 plan is unlimited phone usage but metered data usage at 2 cents a KB.

The PAM plan with unlimited data usage requires either a 1 year contract with $49 a month, or a 2 year contract for $39 a month. (That's both unlimited data on phone and unlimited on Phone-As-Modem).

Verizon is much more, I don't know their current rates, but last time I looked at switching it was insanely high ($45 a month compared to $15 a month for Sprint for unlimited data, this is pre-PAM).
    Quote Originally Posted by headgeek
    First off, how do you turn on DUN? It isn't an option in Bluetooth. And secondly, can I still use the non-EVDO connection (slow) for no additional charge? I can't justify $40-$50 a month to use on my powerbook (it made sense before, if I needed Internet access in the car or if the Internet went out at work)
    I would really like the answer to the second question! I'm considering the 650 -> 700p upgrade. The only thing stopping me is the DUN issue. I'm an infrequent user of Bluetooth DUN on the 650 (using Shadowmite's hack) and I really don't want to be forced into paying for a data plan (high speed or not) that I don't use often (but like most of us, when I need it, I REALLY need it...) Since it's free, I'm willing to accept the measly 12kbps DUN speed for those few occasions I need it. (I'm on VZW if that matters.)
    This is for Sprint. Total is $40/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Fikse
    what are the plans for the treo 700 and DUN? $40+ /month for unlimited laptop usage?
    This is for Verizon. Total is $60/month.
    Extra $15 per month to use with laptop (internet on laptop). This is on top of the dataplan at $45.... around $60 in total
    Sprint may go to $50/month total. There is a hack that, if it works, would allow DUN for $15/month on Sprint and $45/month on Verizon. Might risk terms of service violation or worse.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    PdaNet for the 700p is coming soon and is another option for occassional DUN users.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    PdaNet for the 700p is coming soon and is another option for occassional DUN users.
    Yes, but (correct me if I'm wrong) this only saves you the monthly $15 (VZW) or $25 (Sprint) for the phone-as-modem option. You still need the $45 (VZW) or $15 (Sprint) wireless data plan. Not a bad way to go if you're on Sprint, since then you're only out $15/mo, but not that helpful on VZW where you're still out $45/mo, which totally worth it for heavy users but a lot to pay for an occasional service.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way on the 700p to have the 700p call my dial up service (not part of VZW) and connect that way, without going through VZW's or Sprint's data connections, just the voice connection (like you did in the bad old pre-DSL days when using a dial up modem at home). This is something many people like me do on the 650, thanks to the Shadowmite hack. The advantage is that (on the 650) there is no charge other than phone minutes (since my dial up connection is free through work.) Again, it's slow, but acceptable for the few times I need it.

My question is, can't this be done on the 700p with a Shadowmite-like hack, or has Palm re-written the Bluetooth manager so it's not just a simple two-byte patch like Shadowmite created for the 650, that enables a "hidden" feature?

I know, I know... solution is to drop VZW, switch to Sprint. I might...
    Quote Originally Posted by headgeek
    How come noone answered his question?
    DUN automatcally enables when you try to use it as long as BT is on
    I am paying $40/month for the phone as a modem. It includes unlimited data surfing from my Treo and when tethered to my laptop. You're not required to carry any Vision pack if you have this option.
  16. 2yd
    I am no expert in these matters but I followed the Tethered Mode Hack instructions http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115986 and the old T650 DUN instructions and blogged my family vacation with my laptop-700p using the 1rxtt, i.e., slower connnection speed; much to the delight of my home-bound parents. Someone else might be able to link into the DUN step by step instructions. No DUN charges on my Sprint bill either.