1.    #1  
    It's finally here! For all those people who wanted to keep their phone on Roaming in areas such as work or home that have a strong roaming signal but weak Sprint signal, there is now an option.
    If you go to the phone screen, menu, Options, Roaming Preferences - under Network Selections you can pick "Romaing Network Only" (as well as "Home Network Only" or Allow roaming for automatic).

Remember that you have to pay roaming charges UNLESS you are on one of Sprint's free roaming plans.

Note, this was in the last phone overlay for the 650, just not enabled/implemented so the user could see it.
    If you are roaming, you can't use the data side, right?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    If you are roaming, you can't use the data side, right?
    Sprint signed an agreement with alltel to allow evdo roaming earlier this month to go into effect july 1.

Press Release

I wish i had alltel roaming available, all i have is verizon. BUt i guess the ability to send/recieve text while roaming is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Bumble; 05/31/2006 at 09:11 AM.
    Would be nice if they had an 1xRTT/EvDO roaming agreement w/ VZW.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am coming from a GSM Treo 600 where this was never an issue, so if I have unlimited roaming on my new Sprint plan, would I be best to select automatic just to get the better of the 2 for Sprint and Verizon (Alltel is not in Chicago that I am aware of)? Would data then automatically be Sprint only if there is no roaming agreement with Verizon?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    Sprint signed an agreement with alltel to allow evdo roaming earlier this month to go into effect july 1.

Press Release

I wish i had alltel roaming available, all i have is verizon. BUt i guess the ability to send/recieve text while roaming is better than nothing.

I have sprint and I have to keep it forced to roam at my house. I am on verizon's network for sprint's prices, not bad I guess. my question is on July 1st will we be able to use data on roaming without changing anything on the phone? Now when you try to access the web on my Samsung A900 it just says service not available while roaming.
    ok I'm a retard I can't find it, this is my first Treo so please bare with me and help
    "So, Bond, how did the new smartphone work out?"

"Fine, Q. It has excellent aerodynamic properties."

"I'm sorry?"

"I tossed it at a Russian agent, stunning her. Then I took her Treo 700p."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Depicted1
    ok I'm a retard I can't find it, this is my first Treo so please bare with me and help
    On a Sprint phone (I don't know if Verizon has the same menu), at the phone dialpad screen hit the menu button and then press R. OR hit menu, scroll right to Option then down to Roaming Preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    On a Sprint phone (I don't know if Verizon has the same menu), at the phone dialpad screen hit the menu button and then press R. OR hit menu, scroll right to Option then down to Roaming Preferences.
    thanks, I got it now, Treo noob so pardonez moi!
    "So, Bond, how did the new smartphone work out?"

"Fine, Q. It has excellent aerodynamic properties."

"I'm sorry?"

"I tossed it at a Russian agent, stunning her. Then I took her Treo 700p."
    OMG! I am NOT a newbie and I swear I DO NOT HAVE A ROAMING OPTIONS choice.

In my options menu, the choices I have are: Sound Prefs; Phone Prefs; Dial Prefs; System Prefs; and Phone Lock.

Why am I the only one with a Sprint 700 who seems to be missing this option?

K
    Ok, very strange!

I did a hard reset and viola....Roaming Prefs. is THERE! How strange. I've never seen a 3rd party app interfere in this way, but apparently something I had installed deleted my Roaming Prefs. options!

k
    Another report: I reinstalled all my apps one by one and the problem did not replicate. Soooo, now I'm thinking that when I synced all my Treo650 stuff over to the 700, some Preference must have caused the trouble.

K
    Note, this was in the last phone overlay for the 650, just not enabled/implemented so the user could see it.
    So, is there any way to activate this on the 650? Possibly a magic key command or software hack to "unhide" it or something?
    I'll admit right off the bat that I don't know much about digital roaming and how Sprint handles it for their different plans... but I remember running into some literature on their site relating to "free roaming" that said roaming is only free if less than half of your calls/minutes are made while roaming. I would imagine that, if true, this could be an issue if you force your phone into roaming mode.

Here's a link... this is part of the site's help system....

http://www.sprintpcs.com/support/help/help83.html
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rackbreaker
    So, is there any way to activate this on the 650? Possibly a magic key command or software hack to "unhide" it or something?
    Anybody know? I moved 1/2 mile to a new neighborhood and my Sprint Treo is useless because it will not switch to roaming -- and the Sprint signal is so weak that I can not use it.
    Mine is slow to swith back and forth between roaming and sprint, I have to roam in my office becuase of no signal and sometimes it switches quickly and other times it takes a while. This was addressed a long time ago in a firmware update, I think. Furthermore it will not hand off a call from Sprint to a roaming situation, it dumps you every time.

Check your firmware depending on the age of your phone maybe it needs an update. Check palm support site and you find out quick.
    Device -> 700p
    The device grave yard:
    Newton MP120 -> Newton MP 130 -> Newton 2100 -> Nino 320 -> Palm IIIc -> Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 -> Dell X5 -> Dell X3i ->Treo 650
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Anyone try to do this the other way around? sync 700 stuff over to the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    Another report: I reinstalled all my apps one by one and the problem did not replicate. Soooo, now I'm thinking that when I synced all my Treo650 stuff over to the 700, some Preference must have caused the trouble.

K
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have a 650 on Sprint. I can't get a signal at my office. If I enable digital roaming, and still don't get a signal, does that mean Verizon doesn't work here either?
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    I have a 650 on Sprint. I can't get a signal at my office. If I enable digital roaming, and still don't get a signal, does that mean Verizon doesn't work here either?
    right you are!