Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I recall there was some third party app for the 600 to break up SMS messages.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Just made the move from 600 to 700p. I love it. Great upgrade!
    Bo Meyer
    Visor 90 --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 700p
    Mac OS X
    I just made the same upgrade because my 600 has been consistently crapping out more and more over the past year. For the others who made this move, is the 700p the exact same screen size (not resolution, but actual size) as the 600? The reason I ask is that I hope that there is at least ONE accessory that I can reuse between the two- my leftover screen protectors.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Yeah, you can use the same screen protectors.
    600 to 700p upgrade here. Absolutly satified, but I'm not a real power user. Basic PIM functions are pretty much my game; no chatter; no itunes; no push mail; etc. I'm within the 30day return period on sprint so I went up and looked at the WX...NAH. I'm not ready to learn a new OS yet. POS is still competative if a bit dated and the 700p is a NICE phone.

The single most impressive feature from the 600->700p shift is 320x320...GAH what a screen! Now I can read pdf's and such in bed. Now I can read on my palm.

Next most impressive: EVDO. Now I can surf in bed...

Yea, it lags between apps. But what is 2-4 seconds??? Really? Firmware upgrade should fix that...eventually.

Bottom line, I'm a POS user. My NEXT upgrade will in depthly look at the state of POS vs WM, but right now POS is where I'm at and where I'll stay...
    Yeah, I also considered Windows Mobile for a little while for the multitasking features, but after playing with it on the MS emulator for a while, decided I didn't like it. Maybe next time I need a new cellphone, I'll switch to WM, but I agree that as of right now, I'm sticking with Palm, and I REALLY hope that they have true multitasking by the next time I need a new phone.
    I have a 600 with T-Mobile (month-to-month). I'm strongly considering the 700P (though I REALLY don't want a 2-year contract).

Did any of you 600 to 700 upgraders go from GSM to CDMA? What were your experiences?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Yep, I went from Cingular (and their high data plans) to Sprint (and their FAST and CHEAP data plans). I have a Sprint SERO plan and pay less for my plan than what data alone would cost on Cingular. I get much better reception, and most importantly, no GSM static when I am near a radio or a computer. Go for it, you won't be disappointed at all. Only thing I miss is not being able to type long sms msgs and having it broken up automatically.
    I'm another happy upgrader from the 600 to the 700p. I got my 600 the day they were put on the market in September of 2003. My son uses it now and it is still going strong. I tried a 650 for while but the lack of memory did not work for me. (I know that issue has since been fixed by Palm). I got my 700p the day they were released (May of this year). The thing is just plain awesome! Rock solid stable, fast, and works perfectly. The garnet OS is stable as long as you don't install hacks or crappy software.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    For me, the T600 to the T650 was a decent enough upgrade: removable battery, hi-res screen, NVFM, Bluetooth (though I haven't found/used a decent Bluetooth headset yet, I'm working on it) and most importantly, the placement of the home and menu key near the top of the keyboard; it's a shame the T700 didn't keep that last spec.

The only thing that sucked: The T650's paltry 32MB of internal memory. I can live without the non-EVDO Internet connection. I'm riding my T650 out 'till the Treo after the 700P. Based on that, that's when I make my next decision (ALP, Linux, FrankenGarnet or Windows? WiFi or no WiFi?).

Things to also consider: whether if you are still under contract with your carrier--or month to month (I'm month-to-month) and whether or not you currently fall under the every 18 to 24 months new discount on handset deal. My plan of attack is to keep beeing month to month; Sprint's is every 24 months. I have another 6 months before I get the new handset discount. When all that stuff happens, I'll be able to negotiate a much better wireless plan than I do now.

Also, depending on your carrier: consider what technologies and services they have in the pipeline or currently testing. I'm with Sprint, and all the hiccups with EVDO (they're also supposedly testing this new thing called Wimax) and multimedia services like MobiTV and Slingbox capability should even be more refined in 2007 then they are now.

That said, I agree with the T600 to T700 users: go for it! This transition mentioned in this thread is a worthy upgrade.
    Last edited by KevMeister; 10/25/2006 at 10:52 PM.
    I ordered my 600 (Sprint) the day it came out. It served me extremely well, but memory became an issue for me. Subsequently I couldn't go to the 650 even though I lusted after the hi-res screen. The 700p (Verizon) was the long awaited answer to my prayers. After some initial issues such as getting off Verizon Active Sync and back on Snapper and the upgrade for Launcher X it has been just awesome. I still have nearly 30 MB of RAM left even though almost all of my applications except games are in main memory. Here is my list of applications, all of which work:

9-Ball
    Alchemy
    Atomica
    Audible
    Audible Air
    BackupBuddyVFS
    BeCrossword
    Bejewelled
    Blocks
    Bonsai
    Bookworm
    Butler
    Card Reader
    CardKeeper
    CityID
    Cleanup
    ClipPRO
    DateBk6
    DBCacheTool
    Dir Assist
    Docs to Go
    eReader Pro
    Files
    FileZ
    Google Maps
    GPS Tester
    HanDBase
    HandZipper Lite
    HappyDays
    HB Forms
    Icon Manager
    Info Select
    iNoah
    iPedia
    Keyguard Time+
    KeyLink
    Launcher X
    Lottery
    MacroPlay
    MegaClock
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide
    Nexus Dictionary
    NumberZ
    PDAReach
    Phone Technician
    Pocket TV Browser
    PocketCodes
    PSMemo
    Rebate Tracker
    Scrabble
    SevenSeas
    Shanghai
    SmartList
    Snapper
    Spanish Dict
    SplashID
    SplashMoney
    SplashPhoto
    SplashShopper
    Stamps
    STOIC
    T-Blaster
    Tom Tom Navigator 5
    TreoMax
    Tube 2
    Uninstall Manager
    Vindigo
    Voice Memo
    WordPop
    WordWatch
    Yahtzee
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Once again, the last of the early adopters has arrived. I ordered the 700P yesterday. Last night I realized I hadn't investigated software costs. Will I have to buy all new licenses (moving from GSM 600 to CDMA 700 w/new memory technology)?

Of significance is Backup Man, Card Export II, Lightwav, Notepad, SnapperMail, SuDoKu.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Once again, the last of the early adopters has arrived. I ordered the 700P yesterday. Last night I realized I hadn't investigated software costs. Will I have to buy all new licenses (moving from GSM 600 to CDMA 700 w/new memory technology)?

Of significance is Backup Man, Card Export II, Lightwav, Notepad, SnapperMail, SuDoKu.
    You won't need new licenses as long as your Treo device name is the same. I would definitely install the latest versions, however, as many applications have been been tweaked for the 700p. Unfortunately Card Export II doesn't work - I had to change to Card Reader. Snapper works great, but I don't know specifically about the others you mention or which Sudoku you mean.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez View Post
    You won't need new licenses as long as your Treo device name is the same. I would definitely install the latest versions, however, as many applications have been been tweaked for the 700p. Unfortunately Card Export II doesn't work - I had to change to Card Reader. Snapper works great, but I don't know specifically about the others you mention or which Sudoku you mean.
    That's good news. Thanks for the insight.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I never used Card Export, but purchased Card Reader & USB modem as a combo and have been very happy with both. BackupMan, I reinstalled the old version and it has been working fine rather than paying for the new version. Lightwav ... I liked the features of the program, but it always seemed buggy and there was always a new version with a different name of the program, since I just wanted to have mp3 ringers for a few contacts, I just converted the mp3's to AAC's and added them in on the contact page under Ringtone's for them and was very happy with the result.
    Just got my 700p. The biggest improvement so far has been Bluetooth for me --my Jabra BT250v headset has been superb, whereas with the 650p I had quite a few issues (1.05a ROM fixed this, but the 700p engages with the headset faster even compared to that). I like the new keypad; the change looks minor, but I've found typing with it to be a lot nicer. The five-way feels a little more comfy too; minor changes, but nice. Also, I notice that when I use my Seido InnoDock, the phone is detected on Windows XP the moment it is docked, rather than when the Hotsync button on the dock is pressed. Hotsync has so far been more reliable (I had some "Unrecognized USB Device" issues with the 650p which would necessitate undocking/redocking the phone).

The Pics&Videos app (formerly Media) has an improved interface, and I'm sure there's other software improvements too. So far, I've only had two issues. When I first sync-ed my 650p stuff over to the 700p, the phone didn't recognize my SD card; ejecting and reinserting the card fixed it. I also experienced (only once so far) the lockup people have been talking about during SMS-texting, right after someone had sent me a message, the phone seemed to freeze, and I couldn't reply. Rather than wait to see if it cleared up, I soft-reset, and haven't had it again (yet).

Time will tell how much of an improvement the 700p is over the 650. The 1.05a ROM update helped the 650p a lot, but so far the little things make the 700p a little nicer phone to me. As for upgraders from the 600, it'll be night-and-day. I have a 600 on my desk (we just upgraded a user to a 650) and the screen, keypad, and UI aren't even close (IMO) to a 650, let alone a 700. The 5-way feels pretty sluggish in comparison too (though I guess that could have been due to usage).
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I have a 600 with T-Mobile (month-to-month). I'm strongly considering the 700P (though I REALLY don't want a 2-year contract).

Did any of you 600 to 700 upgraders go from GSM to CDMA? What were your experiences?
    I just went from Tmo/GSM 600 to Sprint/CDMA 700p

Advantages:

• better sound quality on calls reported by my callers
    • screen is awesome, can runs hi-res only apps like mOcean
    • ability to upgrade skins and icons to hi-res versions in apps like datebk and ptunes
    • high speed data is awesome
    • faster scrolling within apps. My ebook reader plucker can zip through files much faster than before without lag on big documents. LauncherX is faster moving through tabs
    • extra side button for voice recording or any other things you want to program it to do
    • More apps in main memory which makes them load faster than loading from a card
    • bluetooth
    • better camera and addition of self portrait mirror
    • better and faster lookup of contacts in sms app
    • can use same screen protector as the 600
    • Sprint SERO was cheaper than equivalent plan on Tmo

Disadvantages:
    • slower switching between apps [EDIT: I was able to improve this with a clean install that didn't sync my Treo 600 files and had Versamail conduit disabled before the first hotsync, along with avoiding setting up versamail on the phone]
    • can't launch an app with a simple press of the 5-way off the phone screen. 5-way is now all about scrolling through favorites and you have to select to launch
    • can't take a call on call waiting and then conference the two lines like you can with GSM
    • can't drop one of the two lines quickly/easily on a conf call (you can hang up on one, wait 3 sec where it looks like you hung up on both, then you get a ring with the other party still there)
    • center button sometimes activates call log, sometimes contacts in dialer. It tries to be smart and guess based on whether I just finished a call or not, but I find it annoying
    • opt-p is no longer a quick toggle between nightmode and day mode, but instead activates the brightness control. [EDIT: OPT-Menu is now the toggle]
    • requires upgrading certain apps and accessories (ie your 600 charger and sync cables won't work) and some progs don't have 700p versions yet

All in all I'm happy with the 700p. The high data and the fast scrolling within apps are big wins for me since I spend most of my time on it reading webpages or plucker documents. High res screen is really a treat, especially with maps, video and images over the net.
    Last edited by GeneralZod; 11/30/2006 at 09:38 AM.
    I am using Card Export II in my Sprint 700p no problem. I too upgraded from a 600 knowing of all the problems of the 650 thinking the 700p was going to be a nice evolutionary upgrade. Instead it has enough problems to make it annoying, specialy for 650 users.

Overall, I agree it's a good upgrade for 600 owners but does not feel as reliable as the 600 did.
    I love my 600 (Tmobile)->700p (Spring) upgrade!

No lags, amazing speed, amazing screen, much better camera (now actually may use it!) - well worth it!

Apps seemed to have transferred fine, but my itunes skin (160x160) for PocketTunes was free but the itunes skin (320x320) is $$

First question: I like to use speakerphone (which now works w/no echo - great!) when calling voicemail (in private - sheesh!), and I used to use the spacebar to activate it - that no longer works. Is there a replacement key for speakerphone and putting a call on/off hold?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123