Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pardon me for posting a useless message, but . . .

THIS IS TOTALLY COOL!!

I had never heard of Orb and ignored this thread over the past week, but finally peeked in. I tested it by watching Meat Loaf's Paradise By The Dashboard Light video while walking the dog tonite!

My productivity at work tomorrow is going to be so low!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    bump

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just a question. I currently live in the HELL hold where I don't have EVDO yet. But I travel a lot so all is good. Anyways, trying out Orb, and setting it to 3GP I keep getting Sorry, an unexpected error occurred. Anytime I try and play anything. But if I set it to WMV it streams fine. Just trying to get the best settings, and wondering what I might be doing wrong. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for pointing us all in the right direction.
    this is ASTOUNDING. working great grabbing with my scheduled recordings from my ati aiw pro
    Last edited by aero; 06/11/2006 at 06:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    this is not like slingbox at all!! you cannot pause, rewind, fastforward, etc on Orb. Also it only let's you see stuff on your computer. Slingbox let's you view everything on your tv whether it is live or tivod. Orb is lame & that is why it is free.

You must work for slingbox...hmmm let me weigh my options...~$200 free, ~200 free...I go for free...Slingbox is lame if you ask me.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Picked up an Orb-supported Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 (Model 1045) tv/recorder card for $60 (after rebates, of course) from Circuit City on Saturday. Got it hooked up and working on my PC. Re-configured Orb to allow TV viewing, and voilą I'm watching cable on my 700p!!

I did have a problem with the sound dropping out after a couple of minutes; Kinoma Player complaining of bandwith limitation. The video would keep playing though. So I set Orb to use regular quality rather than high quality (the only relevant configuration option I could find there). Problem remained.

By default, Orb performs a linespeed test each time it is run. From the Treo, it was reporting "PC Upstream Speed" of 263 Kbps and "Web Network Speed" (or something like that) of 3.4 Mbps. At the bottom of the my.orb.com page is an option to specify the Web speed manually. After some experimentation, I found that setting it to 1800 Kbps resulted in uninterrupted streaming with great quality.

Needless to say, the Ultimate Power Vision add-on is going bye-bye at the end of the free month.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Will this setup only work for a Treo 700p? Will it work for a Treo 600/650 as well?
    Ok I must be the only one not getting this working correct. Please anyone please tell me the proper way to set up your 700p and orb and how to view it in?
    When I do get it to run, it plays well for less then a min and I get a

408 - request time out

anyone have any idea why?

thanks
    Last edited by tarkwolf; 06/12/2006 at 11:18 PM. Reason: updating information
    Quote Originally Posted by jcl_cls01
    Will this setup only work for a Treo 700p? Will it work for a Treo 600/650 as well?
    I don't know, but my guess is that the speed of EVDO may be necessary.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    I've been playing with Orb for the last several days and so far I really can't use it for much. It looks to me like the Sprint Network speed (yes, EVDO) is not fast enough around here. I get constant messages of "insufficent bandwidth" and very, very, choppy video if any at all. I'm bummed because I really wanted this to work for me. I don't think the problem is on my end because when I go to Orb's test site, I have the same problem. Anyone else experience this?
    has anyone been able to get the orb test site to work with Verizon 700P. Or Orb in general to work wit Verizon. I try to log in to test.orb.com and it allows me to select a player and stream but it just sits in connecting mode forever?
    If you're sure you're on the EVDO network and you're getting choppy video, check to see what your computer's upload rate is. It will be listed at the bottom of Blazer after you first login to Orb and the speed test is done. For me, a good rule of thumb has been to set my download speed at roughly half up my computer's upload speed.
    On the Orb speed test, you will probably have a tested download speed that's way too high, like 3.4 mb. That's 3400. So, if you have a CPU upload of 250, try to set your speed to 125 (don't forget to click the "Set Speed" button).
    My computer upload speed is 495, so I set my speed to 250 and I get very good quality video with no choppies.
    Last edited by grim02; 06/13/2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcl_cls01
    Orb doesn't work on the 600 or 650 because the needed software isn't available for either Treo. There is a version of Kinoma embedded into the new Blazer on the 700p that allows the streaming of the proper formats on the 700p. Hopefully they will release a standalone version of their program for other Palm OS devices.
    Grim02 Are you using it on Verizon or Sprint? I changed the setting to 125 as you suggested but I just get hung in the connecting screen?
    I am on the Sprint network. Also, like others have said, make sure you have WMV listed as your favorite, and 3GP checked as supported. Try connecting with High Quality checked and not checked.

One last thing would be to try and access from a regular computer to ensure that you can stream the "normal" way.
    If I purchase a compatible tuner for my PC, how would I get my cable boxe's premium channels through ORB? I am trying to simulate a SlingBox experience on Palm 700p (I use it now on the 700w but hate WM5).
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo
    If I purchase a compatible tuner for my PC, how would I get my cable boxe's premium channels through ORB? I am trying to simulate a SlingBox experience on Palm 700p (I use it now on the 700w but hate WM5).
    You simply have the output from the cable box run to the input of the video card. Then when you run Orb, it will take you to MeeVee and you tell it your location and what services you have.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I have gotten Orb to work great streaming video. I have Cable at home with a 384 upstream spead. I set the PC speed to 100, and have my 700p set to 220. Works great now.
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    You simply have the output from the cable box run to the input of the video card. Then when you run Orb, it will take you to MeeVee and you tell it your location and what services you have.
    Yes but how do you change the channel????? Or select the guide or other cable services?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast