View Poll Results: Does your 700P have a light brown or orange tint / hue?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I got a good one.

40 63.49%
  • Yes, but I'll live with it.

19 30.16%
  • Yes and I'm going to call Palm to get it exchanged.

4 6.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    So who else is getting an exchange for this? My replacement is going to be delivered tomorrow and the nice thing about doing replacements / exchanges w/ Palm is that they pay for shipping the defective unit back.
    Placing mine next to my 650, I like the 700 more.
    Not sure bout getting a replacement. All the new batches are probably all the same screen. I'm thinking of maybe swapping the screens with my 650. Anyone done this yet?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Placing mine next to my 650, I like the 700 more.
    Do you notice an orange-ish or light brown tint on your 700's screen?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    So who else is getting an exchange for this? My replacement is going to be delivered tomorrow and the nice thing about doing replacements / exchanges w/ Palm is that they pay for shipping the defective unit back.
    I'm sure it goes without saying, but definitely let us know how your new unit compares to your current one. I'm on the fence about trying for a replacement. I think I'm starting to get used to the screen, but if your replacement is much better I just might have to follow suit.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    this is a basic 'color temperature' thing, where various levels of rgb (reg green blue) light give you various shades of white. What is really white is really arbitrary with light, since it is actually a combination of all three colored lights, rather than an absence of light that makes the color 'white'.

I admit I kind of liked the 650 screen , which was quite a bit on the blue side which gives you the illusion of a brighter white, sort of like how color-safe bleach alternative makes a white t-shirt seem brighter (I once read/heard it adds a blue tint to the wash), but I actually think the 700 is more natural, especialy on the whole range of colors - like with photos - and when I hold both up agains my dell 700p screen, which is one of the best tfts i ever saw, the 700 is actually MORE blue.

So sorry for the wordiness, but really I doubt anything is wrong with these treos. What i do wonder is if there is a way to adjust color temperature, just like you can do on almost any CRT monitor if you get into it's screen menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby
    I have noticed though that it seems like it takes the 700 screen a second to warm up or something. When I first turn the screen on when it's been off for a while, it looks gauzy for a sec but clears it up pretty quickly, anyone else notice this?
    Yes, I've noticed this as well and was wondering if I was imagining it. As you said, the effect is similar to pressing the degauss filter button on an computer monitor.

BTW, my 700p's screen seems a bit brighter and more towards yellow (vs the 650 being more towards blue). I prefer the way this looks over the 650.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Do you notice an orange-ish or light brown tint on your 700's screen?
    I'm currently looking at the phone screen on both with the same brightness setting and the same picture (I bet 95% of the pixels are the same, only the upper right corner is different on the new one). I'm no expert, but I'd say the 700 is a bit lighter (and perhaps a tad brighter), but the colors seem to be consistent. Of course YMMV by production batch.
    I had that problem back when I kept getting warranty replacements with the Treo 600 & 650. Some were orange, some were darker or more faded. There was no consistency at all. But I always could take it back in & they replaced it again... I just want my damn phone to get here already!!!
    did you get it yet, please post your experience when you do
    Treoing & Loving it
    I agree that the 700p is slightly redder than the 650, but the 650 is more blue than a pure white. I think the 700p actually has more accurate colors than the 650. I honestly don't see anything to complain about.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12.    #32  
    Ok, got my replacement today and compared the screens using LCD Analyzer. The screen on the new one looks more like my 650's. There is no orange-ish tint. No dead pixels either.

Now I just have to decide whether I have the guts to install an Invisible Shield screen protector. Looks like it would be hard to get dust off of it if dust did get caught under it during installation.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 06/03/2006 at 03:51 AM.
    so you are saying you can that there is a difference between your OLD 700p and the NEW one? Are you absoultley positive. I remeber you saying you don't have the 650 anymore so you are comparing the two 700 to each other and you are saying there is a difference?
    Treoing & Loving it
  14.    #34  
    I don't have my 650 anymore so I'm just comparing the two 700Ps. The screen on the new one does look better. This seems just like what happened with the early 650s with some having yellowish tints.
    in the phone app dial ##786 and check warranty date, SW, HW. mine says 5/12/06, 1.08, HW A what does the new one and old 700p say please?
    Treoing & Loving it
  16.    #36  
    Warranty Date: 05-11-2006
    Hardware Rev: A
    My screen also suffers the orange/red hue. But what's MUCH more noticable is the difference in the camera's light sensitivity.

Side-by-side comparisons show the 700 to be much darker and less detailed.

Pushing display brightness to full on the 700 is still darker than my 650 at half.

Believe it's time for a call to Palm...

Date: 5-11-2006
    Soft Rev: 1.08-SPNT
    Hardw Rev: A
    Last edited by DelMelo; 06/03/2006 at 11:43 AM.
    Based on the discussions here I called palm and they did a re-ship order where I won't get charged for anything (not even temporarly) I will compare the two (when I receive the new one) and report back to you guys. when comparing the two devices I will compare sound level (this one is awsome w/o volumecare so I've been told by the ppl I called), and camers since now others are reporting this issue.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I am now at the palm store in charleston NC airport, you can definatley tell the difference bw my 700p and the one on display here.
    Treoing & Loving it
  20.    #40  
    What does the one in the airport look like?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast