Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1.    #1  
    An employee at a Palm retail store (Palo Alto) stated today that the GSM version of the 700P won't be release until "early Christmas".

    This is just something that was asked and responded to at the retail store. No printouts, no official statements, no promises. Just thought I'd share what I'd heard from the closest thing we're going to get right now.
    Last edited by TheHandlessKing; 05/31/2006 at 12:30 AM.
    Latest moBlog shot:
  2. #2  
    well, that was the date i anticipated too!

    my gf's been telling, get one for yourself as Christmas present! :P
  3. Germanguy's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    An employee at a Palm retail store (Palo Alto) stated today that the GSM version of the 700P won't be release until "early Christmas".
    I was under the impression that there will not be a palm based GSM version. Hollywood is supposedly windows based and will have 3G capabilities (also smaller and no antenna). I heard that Cingular passed on the Treo700P GSM equivalent (probably because it only had edge)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy
    I was under the impression that there will not be a palm based GSM version. Hollywood is supposedly windows based and will have 3G capabilities (also smaller and no antenna). I heard that Cingular passed on the Treo700P GSM equivalent (probably because it only had edge)
    Still holding out hope for either Cingular 700P or an unlocked unbranded 700P on GSM
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5. #5  
    Cingular is saying "we ain't doin no stinkin 700p". They saying that they skipping 700 and launching next version tho. Liklely Wm5 version in September / October and "Palm" version early in 2007. And by Palm i mean something other than WM5 but not necessarily Garnet.
  6. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Cingular is saying "we ain't doin no stinkin 700p". They saying that they skipping 700 and launching next version tho. Liklely Wm5 version in September / October and "Palm" version early in 2007. And by Palm i mean something other than WM5 but not necessarily Garnet.
    That is what I am hearing also. Sept or Oct for a "new look Treo". No info on OS, my guess is WM5, I was told the 700P had several unresolved issues in the early testing phase for them to pursue (I asked if that meant they did not want to wait for the exclusive on VZ and Sprint, reply was no comment).
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    That is what I am hearing also.
    But who (I realize you may say Cingular, but who from Cingular said that?) and where are you seeing this info?
    Latest moBlog shot:
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    But who (I realize you may say Cingular, but who from Cingular said that?) and where are you seeing this info?
    It's been repeated and repeated in several of the threads with "GSM" in the thread title in the 700p section. In my case, it was two separate "major accounts managers" I have spoken to in relation to signing up a potential 2,500 customers here in NY and potentially 45,000 nationwide.
  9. #9  
    Hey Jack!
    Who exactly do you think you are to be making such claims?
    My Brothers girlfriend says her Cing Rep said they don't even know Jack!
    What do you have to say to that?
    Just Cause you're an Engineer, You think you are some kinda infallable source of knowledge!
    Just call me Berd.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Cingular is saying "we ain't doin no stinkin 700p". They saying that they skipping 700 and launching next version tho. Liklely Wm5 version in September / October and "Palm" version early in 2007. And by Palm i mean something other than WM5 but not necessarily Garnet.
    Did you hear anything about the HP 6900? They're still selling the 6515, but it has WM2003. Time to update!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Who exactly do you think you are to be making such claims?
    My Brothers girlfriend says her Cing Rep said they don't even know Jack!
    What do you have to say to that?
    Just Cause you're an Engineer, You think you are some kinda infallable source of knowledge!
    I think I'm just another poor slob wondering what he gonna be using come february. I often wonder whetehr any of these big wigs are any more clued in thatn your girlfreind's brother's "life mate's" cousin's neighbor.

    But here's another one ...the rambling makes it appear a bit clueless but timing is such that I expect it's the "thing that is no longer called Hollywood" rather than the 700p. Besides, coming from Thailand I'd expect the VoiceSignal voice prompt to be different...instead of "say a command", it might be "me love you long time"

    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...00p_gsm_o.html
  12. #12  
    I cannot say how I know this, so I'll pretend to "look into my crystal ball" and say - there absolutely will be a 700P GSM phone.

    What I do not know is whether Cingular will carry it or if we'll only be able to get it here in the states as an unlocked phone from Palm (fine by me).
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think I'm just another poor slob wondering what he gonna be using come february. I often wonder whetehr any of these big wigs are any more clued in thatn your girlfreind's brother's "life mate's" cousin's neighbor.

    But here's another one ...the rambling makes it appear a bit clueless but timing is such that I expect it's the "thing that is no longer called Hollywood" rather than the 700p. Besides, coming from Thailand I'd expect the VoiceSignal voice prompt to be different...instead of "say a command", it might be "me love you long time"

    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...00p_gsm_o.html
    That was a joke?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That was a joke?
    I guess ya had to see the movie
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me
    What I do not know is whether Cingular will carry it or if we'll only be able to get it here in the states as an unlocked phone from Palm (fine by me).
    That changes it from a $325-375 purchase to a $649-699 purchase....not gonna happen for me.

    But the one problem I still have is fitting it into Palm's "4 new Treos this year" statemnt :

    CDMA 700w
    CDMA 700p
    Lowrider
    "thing that ain't hollywood"

    I'm tempted to lump CDMA and GSM together but Colligan's wording led me to believe that changing the radio would constitute a different Treo.

    Also, regarding Cingular, does it seem likely that they would introduce 2 or 3 different Treos within a matter of 2 or 3 months ?
  16. #16  
    Again, don't know if it will be Cingular or not. Doubtful to me that it will be T-Mo since they are still trying to get the Sidekick3 out the door. So I'd have to assume that it will show up overseas first if Cingular doesn't bite...which is fine by me since my contact works at Palm and I'll get an unlocked version from him.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Cingular is saying "we ain't doin no stinkin 700p". They saying that they skipping 700 and launching next version tho. Liklely Wm5 version in September / October and "Palm" version early in 2007. And by Palm i mean something other than WM5 but not necessarily Garnet.
    Personally, if people weren't having so many damned problems with the 700W and 700P, I'd have jumped at a P version with EDGE. That's what the 650 *should* have been when it launched, IMHO.

    But if I'm gonna wait for the next real improvement over my 650 GSM, then it'd better not be running Garnet. Good riddance, I say. Get Linux on there and let's get some real OS features and stability on this platform. Apparently not even WM5 could offer that (on the W).

    For me, having to wait for something substantively better isn't a problem. It's waiting for that and then having missed expectations that's Palms recurring problem. I hope they get the next one right.
  18. #18  
    Saw the movie, lived the movie. Great tastless and offensive reference. Bad at so many levels. Love it.
    Harvey
  19. #19  
    This Dutch internet phone store has announced the GSM 700p on their "coming soon" page (700p at the bottom right hand corner)

    http://www.belstore.com/belstore/RAPRL/13.html

    When you click the "meer" (= more) link, this is what you see:
    http://www.belstore.com/belstore/mcs...pzg&ab_agid=13

    It does not really give you much info. There is a link "mail mij zodra dit produkt leverbaar is" (mail me as soon as this product is in stock) which allows you to enter your mail address.

    Needless to say, I did just that.
    -Wouter
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Personally, if people weren't having so many damned problems with the 700W and 700P, I'd have jumped at a P version with EDGE. That's what the 650 *should* have been when it launched, IMHO.
    When the 650 came out, that's what I said about the 600.....to me anythiung w/o BT wasn't worth having.

    I'm in no rush....I don't get any thrill outta being first on block w/ new phone. Still no sign of EVDO / HSDPA in my area so the only tickler is memory and system improvements. I have no performance / stability issues so have no reason to get something new....then again, who needs a reason to get a new toy

    However:

    1. This thing I think gonna have a MSRP from $749-949
    2. My investment in GPS will probably be lost...new cradle w/ GPS ($100), new proclip ($30), maybe even new software ($150)
    3. Figure a week's lost productivity in office.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions