Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    ...to me anythiung w/o BT wasn't worth having. I'm in no rush....I don't get any thrill outta being first on block w/ new phone.
    Oh, I totally agree. As cool as it was, I purposely avoided the 600 because it was BT deficient. But I needed a keyboard, so instead I went with Nokia 6820. When the 650 launched, I breathed sigh of relief -- well, at least until I get my first 100 resets -- at BT, larger screen, and wider variety of applications.

I understand not being in any hurry. Palm aren't making significant enough improvements in hardware or OS -- are you hearing us Palm??? Get a real OS in there!! -- to even come close to making incremental upgrades worthwhile. I couldn't give a rat's sphincter about broadband... I want more RAM, stability, memory protection, a proper networking stack (I still laugh about 8 sockets... who cares if you can stream data really fast if you only have 8 freakin' sockets!?), etc.

Bring something real to the table and they/we will come.
    I am trying but I just can't quite understand the need to get a new phone every time something new comes out. If 3 competitors of Palm came out with :

Model A - has a spinning red light that circles around the antenna when a call comes in.
    Model B - spoke back keystrokes to ya
    Model C - Took voice memos and translated them to text.

People would be complaining that Palm sucks cause they don't have a Treo with spinning red light, voice dictation and keystroke readback. There's an expectation that every single feature that has ever been thought of will be incorporated into the Treo device and if it isn't Palm sucks....despiute the fact that no device ever released on the market has all 3 of those things, Palm wil still suck.

Geez.....after centuries between Captain Kirk and Captain Picard and then more to get to Janeway, the damn tricorders STILL only did THREE things !!! At least I never heard about no Quadcorders or Quintcorders.

Now if The next GSM Treo comes with Voice Signal's VMode and VSpeak, I getting it early....that is 3 -5 months down the line after the first ROM upgrade fixes all the bugs the early adopters beta'd.
    I agree. People can say that it is missing xx feature, when it already has everything you'll need pretty much.
    I am trying but I just can't quite understand the need to get a new phone every time something new comes out. ... There's an expectation that every single feature that has ever been thought of will be incorporated into the Treo device and if it isn't Palm sucks...
    No, I don't think Palm sucks because of lack of features. I wouldn't mind seeing some useless things go away (esp that camera) if it meant they could focus on the things we really need: phones that don't crash all the damned time, better performance, and improved quality. The reason I think Palm sucks is that they are apparently failing to improve on these measures as new devices come out. If the 700p had actually made improvements on these measures -- it did improve reliability slightly with more RAM, but introduced all kinds of new issues -- then I wouldn't have thought twice about upgrading. Oh, and the small oversight of no GSM version -- but I suppose the carriers could be blamed for that one.
    As a 700p owner on Sprint (and based on peoples comments about the differences between the 650 and 700p (or lack thereof) I think that a 700p on GSM would have very little extra to offer for most 650 users. Probably the biggest improvement with the 700p is EVDO and the overall internet experience it offers. This gain would be essentially non-existent which is why I wouldn't be surprised that Cingular would pass on it.

We're now entering a wierd time in the Smartphone market as Palm OS is getting to a point were the current incarnation is just not cutting it anymore (even for the diehards) and WM5 is still needs some work before it becomes as elegant a solution as Palm OS is now. Also, the next version of Palm OS with the extensive changes planned for it will probably be a few versions away from being as mature as the current version of the OS when it is released (this is assuming that the new product will be good enough at the basics to carry the Palm OS torch in the first place).

Unfortunately, usually with these sort of transitional periods, it seems it is the consumers that get screwed in the short term (since some end up inevitably buying into what will turn out to be the losing standard). I like my 700p (it's actually my first Treo) but I realize that I've joined in a bit late in the game for the current incarnation of the OS and that in reality the 700p may be seen as little more than a stopgap product a year from now when the new-gen products arrive. I don't really mind this so much as I'm content sitting back and seeing how the many changes due in the smartphone market all play out (hopefully the dust will have settled by the time my contract is up again).

Oh and BTW, on an unrelated and oft disputed note, in my experience the overall phone quality I've been getting on CDMA is vastly superior to what I was getting with GSM. I know that there are many variables that can play into this, but I can at least say that a Treo 700p on Sprint in Orange County is performing much better than my Moto v600 (and for that matter a v505)did on Cingular. The sound is just smoother, much less stuttering, little or no dropped calls so far, etc. Sure you still get an occasional subtle garble, but in general the quality sounds much more clean and "effortless". Still, that having been said, if international travel was more of a requisite I'd have no choice but to stay with GSM, that's one area where it can't be beat.
    Last edited by ajabbari; 07/03/2006 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    No, I don't think Palm sucks because of lack of features. I wouldn't mind seeing some useless things go away (esp that camera) if it meant they could focus on the things we really need: phones that don't crash all the damned time, better performance, and improved quality. The reason I think Palm sucks is that they are apparently failing to improve on these measures as new devices come out. If the 700p had actually made improvements on these measures -- it did improve reliability slightly with more RAM, but introduced all kinds of new issues -- then I wouldn't have thought twice about upgrading. Oh, and the small oversight of no GSM version -- but I suppose the carriers could be blamed for that one.
    How many of these issues are "outta da box" ? Howe many are with phone or built in apps ? How many critical updates has MS released since Service Pack 2 for XP.....over 50. If you are gonna be the first one on line at the store when any computing device hits the market, expect these kinda things. When you build yaself a PC, do you but MoBo's which were released last Tuesday ? If you do, pray that a later hardware revision don't come out and fully expect to be doing from 3 -6 BIOS upgrades.

Why don't manufacturer's test more ....cause of he least common denominator. If Palm extends the testing period, then their competitor gets the device to market first. Look at the Q which is what I expected Palm's lowrider to be ... wouldn't Palm have benefited by getting it on market ebfore Moto did the Q ?

So what happens is the 1st carrier to carry a new model device is essentially doing the beta. Then after feedback from the testers (early adopters) , the rest of us get the things with the 1st ROM upgrade all done and 98% of the problems we never see.
    I would say that Palm did a pretty good job, for initial release, on the 700P. I have 37 games and 18 apps installed (3rd Party) and they all run fine and the phone never crashes. I do reset the phone once a week out of habit.

The following are installed:
    3D Hockey
    3D Pong
    Aces
    Agendus Pro
    Astro
    Bang!
    Battleship
    Bejeweled
    Billiards
    Bowling Deluxe
    Breakout
    Bzzz
    Chromagames
    Converter
    Darts Deluxe
    Dir Assist
    Docs to Go
    Easy Notes
    Express
    ezReset
    ezTipper
    FileZ
    Fun TicTacToe
    GTS Racing
    Hanoi
    Hold Em (Dices)
    JAMDAT Bowling
    Joust
    MahJonggHR
    MegaClock
    MiniGolf
    Monopoly
    OneBridge
    PDA Cookbook
    PDANet
    Pool Deluxe
    PocketTunes
    RBTapper
    Ricochet
    Rocketmania
    RoundUp
    Rummy
    Scrabble
    SecurID
    Solitaire
    T-Blaster
    Tetris 2
    Tradewinds
    TravelDeluxe
    Trivial Pursuit
    Verichat
    Yahtzee
    Zap2016
    ZLauncher
    Zuma

and Oxford Dictionary on my SD card, along with almost 150 mp3's.

More than half of this would not even have made it onto the 650 I had, and I would get crashes on my old 650 from some of these apps. Now the V700P with all of this installed works great and all the apps work as advertised.
    amazing, already AUGUST now! I am pissed off as still no GSM available! Can anyone of you knock the door of palm's CEO and challenge him why he let 2 billion global GSM users wait for so long? why in this way he is pushing many die-hard palmers away? I have no patience left now and the 400 USD in my pocket has to be spent on a new super pda phone asap! Shall I switch to ppc???????!!!!!!!!
    Well, an interesting thing is happening to me, while waiting -- I'm getting happier with my unlocked GSM 650. It does what I want, mostly. Sure, it resets itself some. But it isn't so bad.

I'm on T-Mobile, and I know that I'm not going to get any cool subsidized phones there anytime soon.

I think the delay saved me some money and cost Palm a sale or two from me (because whatever I get my wife would want too).

Whereas a little while ago I would have dropped cash immediately for a GSM 700p, now I'm not going to bother. I played with one today at a Verizon store. Yeah, it's nice. But it won't be a significant change for me in capabilities. It ain't compelling.

Another reason? The Q popped up over the horizon. This tells me that more of its ilk will come. Mr. Market is speaking, and Mr. Market is saying "Same features (nearly), lower prices (dramatically). Meaning, a decent enough set of features, and half the price. If Moto doesn't do it, someone else will. The E61 might be that phone right now, if it drops another $100.

Another reason? I think unfortunately I took a sanity pill and realized that $600 is a lot of money for a phone, as nice as it is. I'd rather buy a new fridge for the house. Sorry, Palm.

Another reason? I rather like the PalmOS and since it's likely that we're near the end of life for it, why should I drop another $600 or so on new PalmOS hardware? Why not just run this 650 until the wheels fall off and I move a bit reluctantly to something else?

I need PIM. I need relentless email. I want the Treo/E61/Q form factor. That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Well, an interesting thing is happening to me, while waiting -- I'm getting happier with my unlocked GSM 650. It does what I want, mostly. Sure, it resets itself some. But it isn't so bad.

I'm on T-Mobile, and I know that I'm not going to get any cool subsidized phones there anytime soon.

I think the delay saved me some money and cost Palm a sale or two from me (because whatever I get my wife would want too).

Whereas a little while ago I would have dropped cash immediately for a GSM 700p, now I'm not going to bother. I played with one today at a Verizon store. Yeah, it's nice. But it won't be a significant change for me in capabilities. It ain't compelling.

Another reason? The Q popped up over the horizon. This tells me that more of its ilk will come. Mr. Market is speaking, and Mr. Market is saying "Same features (nearly), lower prices (dramatically). Meaning, a decent enough set of features, and half the price. If Moto doesn't do it, someone else will. The E61 might be that phone right now, if it drops another $100.

Another reason? I think unfortunately I took a sanity pill and realized that $600 is a lot of money for a phone, as nice as it is. I'd rather buy a new fridge for the house. Sorry, Palm.

Another reason? I rather like the PalmOS and since it's likely that we're near the end of life for it, why should I drop another $600 or so on new PalmOS hardware? Why not just run this 650 until the wheels fall off and I move a bit reluctantly to something else?

I need PIM. I need relentless email. I want the Treo/E61/Q form factor. That's all.

It's as if you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Just call me Berd.
    Ah shucks guys! With every other post I flip back from satisfied 700p owner to buyers remorse. Gee willikers. I just want to be happy with my $600 upgraded slower phone for while.
    so give me an advice, dude! what shalll i do now? buy a treo 650 or anything else??

my biggest concern is the small memory size of 650 as well as its poor camera resolution...
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq
    amazing, already AUGUST now! I am pissed off as still no GSM available! Can anyone of you knock the door of palm's CEO and challenge him why he let 2 billion global GSM users wait for so long? why in this way he is pushing many die-hard palmers away? I have no patience left now and the 400 USD in my pocket has to be spent on a new super pda phone asap! Shall I switch to ppc???????!!!!!!!!
    The 650 GSM is 17 months old....model cycles are typically 18-24 months since the major purchasers (businesses) won't cycle hardware faster than that (me neither ) . Cingular is still saying it will not carry a 700p nor a 700w.

I don't think we'll see a non WM5 GSM product till February so if that money burning a hole in ya pocket, I'd spend it now.
    The 650 GSM is 17 months old....model cycles are typically 18-24 months since the major purchasers (businesses) won't cycle hardware faster than that (me neither ) . Cingular is still saying it will not carry a 700p nor a 700w.

I don't think we'll see a non WM5 GSM product till February so if that money burning a hole in ya pocket, I'd spend it now.

Till FEB 2007??!! Can't believe I have to wait so long to get a 700p GSM!!! Yes the money and I are burning now~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq
    Till FEB 2007??!! Can't believe I have to wait so long to get a 700p GSM!!! Yes the money and I are burning now~~~~~~
    ..if only that were true..
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle

It's as if you took the words right out of my mouth.
    ... and mine...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Cingular Treo 750 Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12