1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I'm a new treo owner, but I've owned PDAs since the black and white handspring devices of old.

I just got the 700w, but I'm really really disapointed with its function. It seems awful, I can't stand all the lockups. I just went to the indianapolis 500 and had a LOT of photo opportunities, but was just left frustrated as my camera or start menu locked up.

My uses are as following:
    -Internet Browsing
    -Instant Messaging
    -Text Messaging
    -Microsoft Word compatability / authoring
    -Multitasking (between 2-3 of these programs)

My 700w, when functioning, does an incredible job of this, but it freezes up too often, and I'm sick of waiting 2-3 minutes in between program switching or opening my start menu. I've also missed numerous calls and require many soft resets, its getting to be too much.

I hear, and have experienced, that the palm OS is much more streamlined. Everything happens more quickly, with fewer bugs.

Is the 700p right for me?

Also, I opened the CD that came with my 700w, the one with the windows license on the cover, does this void my return policy?
    Hi Markio -

Others may have different opinions, but for what it's worth - here are mine. I own an iMate JasJar which works with WM 5.0, as does your 700...

INTERNET BROWSING
    I think you'll have a similar experience with Blazer as you do with Pocket Explorer. Neither are great as far as I'm concerned - but the UI is a little better for me in Blazer.

INSTANT MESSAGING
    I use Verichat for IM, and it works great on both phones.

TEXT MESSAGING
    I don't really use it, since I use Verichat.

MICROSOFT WORK COMPATIBILITY
    The new Treo has a program called "Documents to Go," which I think will allow you to work with MS Word Docs. I've never used it - but folks seem to like it.

MULTITASKING
    I think you'll prefer the WM 5.0 OS for multitasking. Palm allows some things to run in the background, like Versamail - but part of the system's speed is derived from only one thing running at a time. I just received my 700p this afternoon, so I'm still putting it through its paces - but it seems a lot like the 650 but with better speed and memory.

Palm OS is an older system than WM 5.0, and many have decried its "showing age;" but in my experience Palm does operate faster than Windows Mobile. I find my JasJar gets hung up on things even when hardly anything is open. I've always appreciated the Palm OS because its easy to use and intuitive. I tend to only do one thing at a time, so it works well for me. Also, if you go for the 700p you will really notice the improvement in the screen. My friend has a "w" and you can really tell the difference.

If you're interested, why not take the kit and kaboodle back to Verizon and ask to trade the w for a p? I don't know why they wouldn't work with you on the price if you're a loyal customer...of course that's presuming good customer service, something I haven't had much of today at Sprint!

Good luck -
    LZ
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Quote Originally Posted by LZMutant
    TEXT MESSAGING
    I don't really use it, since I use Verichat.

MICROSOFT WORK COMPATIBILITY
    The new Treo has a program called "Documents to Go," which I think will allow you to work with MS Word Docs. I've never used it - but folks seem to like it.

MULTITASKING
    I think you'll prefer the WM 5.0 OS for multitasking. Palm allows some things to run in the background, like Versamail - but part of the system's speed is derived from only one thing running at a time. I just received my 700p this afternoon, so I'm still putting it through its paces - but it seems a lot like the 650 but with better speed and memory.

I'd like to add to this. For text messaging, the 700p (and 650) is better for managing the texts. You can put the texts into "threads" which is something the 700w can not do out-of-the-box. Documents-To-Go will allow you to view/edit Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents. I can't personally say it does it better/worse than the 700w, because I haven't used a 700w. It should be able to handle what you want it to do however. As far as multitasking goes, Palm can't really handle this. There are a few programs that run in the background, but for the most part multitasking is not allowed. However, I'm not sure you would find this bothersome. You can only work in one program at a time. The program you are working in should save your data before you exit it. Let me give you an example. If you are looking at your schedule and suddenly you remember you need to look up a contact, why do you need both programs to be open? You exit out of your calendar and open your contacts. The process really isn't any slower than minimizing your calendar on the 700w and opening your contacts. The big difference is, the 700w will become bogged down very quickly with several programs open. Closing programs on the 700w isn't as easy as clicking the little "x". You actually have to go into a menu, or buy a piece of software to close programs. So that possible extra few seconds you might save with multitasking with come back to bite you in the a$$ in the end. If by multitasking, you meant that you want to be able to talk on the phone and browse at the same time, this is not possible on either phone. In fact, it's not possible with current Ev-DO hardware on the market. If you want a flashy phone with lots of multimedia capabilities built-in that you can show off to your less than tech savvy buddies, then stick with the 700w and buy yourself some memory management programs. I don't know if you realized this, but you have to use Outlook with the 700w (i.e. no mac, without extra software anyways), whereas there are a few (though not an infiniate amount) of programs you can use to sync with your device (not all free, but at least it works with either operating system out-of-the-box). The 700p also is much better at handling one-handed use. In addition to this, it won't have as many memory problems (in theory) because the same amount of memory goes a lot further on the Palm OS. In the end, though, it's really hard to say which phone is better. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. You're going to have people on either side of the argument, and they will come up with equal arguments. It sounds, though, like you really like the 700w, however, you just wish it didn't have the memory issues. What I would do is head over to the 700w forum and look up the memory managers and install a trial on your phone. It may clear up the issues you have. If it doesn't then come back and take a look at the 700p. It won't be in stores for another week or so (at least we hope by that time), so it's hard to really give you an ample amount of information because so few of us have actually played with the phone and founds ways around a few of it's shortcomings (which it does have). I'm certainly not steering you away from the 700p. I just figure that if you have already purchased the 700w, you might as well give it another try before you go through the headache of trying to return it for a 700p.

Hope that helps.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    There's a reviews thread for the 700p listing all the reviews I have seen or had pointed out to me.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=reviews

But here's some quotes from PC mag

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp

Palm's new Treo 700p may look like older Treos, but it is loaded with internal improvements that Treo fans have been waiting for. The 700p, available in two versions (for Verizon and Sprint; we tested the latter), adds high-speed EV-DO networking, a better camera, and updated software to our Editors' Choice Palm Treo 650. That's enough to keep Palm in the lead for the best-balanced, easiest-to-use smartphone in the USA.
    The advances in the Treo 700p are in software. It takes the 700w's advantages—fast EV-DO networking and a 1.3-megapixel camera—and marries them to the latest in easy-to-use Palm OS software.
    The Treo 700p offers an excellent balance of phone functions, PIM, media, and high-speed Internet access. It's a joy to use and will satisfy all but the geekiest feature hounds. For that, it's a worthy Editors' Choice.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911100,00.asp

The most usable one-handed Pocket PC, the Palm Treo 700w, will be welcome in Microsoft-dominated workplaces looking for an e-mail-oriented phone that works with the latest Exchange servers. We can't recommend it as enthusiastically for individual consumers, because it isn't quite as easy to use as the Treo 650 and doesn't take advantage of all the power the Windows Mobile platform has to offer. The Treo 700w is a slightly uncomfortable compromise, but one you can accept cheerfully if your IT department chooses it for you.
    You can compare the Treo 700w against its predecessor, the 650, or against other Windows Mobile handhelds. The Palm OS used in the Treo 650 still requires fewer taps and clicks than Windows Mobile, uses less battery power in PDA mode, and feels zippier with the 312-MHz processor.