Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by dnb
    Ok, so here's a quick update. I tried the experiment and found a few things out after much fiddling. If all of this is gibberish to you, feel free to skip this message and just take the following summary: "Nope, doesn't work as one would hope."

Setting the phone type to A900 and choosing a "TrueTone" did not work as I had hoped because:
    1. the SMS message for purchase handed Blazer a URL it couldn't quite handle. It would appear to download the ringtone data, but then would not put it any place useful. My guess is that it handled the GCD URL fine, but punted on the actual data (more on that in a sec).
    2. getting a copy of that GCD file to examine was no mean feat. I eventually had to download a copy of my Messages database to my laptop, look at its contents using strings to find the right URL, and then (because that web site choked on anything that wasn't a WAP browser) feed that URL to http://www.wapsilon.com/, which then handed me back a URL which pointed at a GCD file. I grabbed the GCD file with wget, and looked at it to see where it pointed the phone for the actual data file.
    3. and (surprise!) that actual file was a .mp3 file. Bad dog, no AAC download for you!

Yes, I was (thanks to other posts in this thread) able to convert that mp3 to AAC and get it into the phone (read: export using the quicktime plugin, rename the file to .m4a, upload it to the phone), but it definitely felt like one big game of Mousetrap. I think it is still an open question as to whether there's another Sprint phone whose native non-polytone ringtone format is AAC and compatible with the 700p, but I can now tell you from experience that the A900 isn't it.

-- dNb

But the thing is, there's no such thing as A900 AAC's and Treo 700p AAC's...if you take any properly encoded AAC file, it should work on a 700p and an A900 with no problems. The problem here is that the ringtone you downloaded was an MP3 (The A900 supports both MP3 and AAC ringtones), and the simple fact is the company that made those ringtones simply chose to use MP3 instead of AAC. If they had given you an AAC ringtone, it probably would have worked just fine with no hassles.
  2. dnb
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    The problem here is that the ringtone you downloaded was an MP3 (The A900 supports both MP3 and AAC ringtones), and the simple fact is the company that made those ringtones simply chose to use MP3 instead of AAC. If they had given you an AAC ringtone, it probably would have worked just fine with no hassles.
    Sorry, I wasn't being clear either in my last explanation or my previous question that you were kind enough to answer.

I have a good understand of encoding formats and why this attempt failed. I was hoping to find a phone that had AAC as its standard, native (and I guess sole) supported format such that I could "trick" the company into sending me a GCD that pointed to an AAC-encode ringtone which would then work fine on my 700p.

I read too much into your previous response and thought that the A900 was just such a phone. Now I realize that the A900 can use MP3 natively and was not the optimal choice for a substitute phone. My last post was just an attempt to let others benefit from the work I went though to discover this fact.

Finding specs for all of the phones supported by this company and their ringtone formats takes a fair bit of work so I was hoping that someone had discovered a good substitute phone. I guess the search continues.
    So, it's a few days later...has anyone found a way to copy AAC ringers straight from the card to RAM?
    Hi,
    The Focus upload worked, thanks... Has anyway figured out how to convert our aac files and install them without the focus upload? Thanks!
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Oh, for the love of pete, people...this isn't rocket science.

Per this Palm support page (http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...psprint_UG.pdf), the 700p supports four file types as ringtones: MIDI, QCELP (a.k.a. QCP), AAC and AAC+ (notice that AMR is not listed)

Step 1: Take a sound file in any of those formats and stick it on your SD card somewhere (somewhere easy to remember -- I just created a first-level directory called "tones") using a USB card reader hooked up to your PC or Mac (everyone should have one of these and they're cheap, so no complaining)

Step 2: Open Blazer. In the address bar, type the following: file:///tones/foo.wav where you replace "tones" with whatever directory you stuck the ringtone in and "foo.wav" with the actual tone's filename. Click "Go"

Step 3: Confirm all the OK's and what-not. You should have just accepted the file into VoiceMemo.

Step 4: Open Voice Memo, select the ringtone file in the list shown, hit Menu, and "Copy to Ringtone"

Step 5: Open Prefs: Sounds & Alerts: Manage... and tap on the ringtone you just added -- if it plays, you did it correctly. You can then assign it to callers or call types, as needed.
    Your steps are correct. However, I'm finding a problem with wave files that the 650 didn't have.

When you copy as a ringtone from voice memo, it seems to truncate the file around 200k. Are you seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by craigf

Per this Palm support page (http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...psprint_UG.pdf), the 700p supports four file types as ringtones: MIDI, QCELP (a.k.a. QCP), AAC and AAC+ (notice that AMR is not listed)

Step 1: Take a sound file in any of those formats and stick it on your SD card somewhere (somewhere easy to remember -- I just created a first-level directory called "tones") using a USB card reader hooked up to your PC or Mac (everyone should have one of these and they're cheap, so no complaining)

Step 2: Open Blazer. In the address bar, type the following: file:///tones/foo.wav where you replace "tones" with whatever directory you stuck the ringtone in and "foo.wav" with the actual tone's filename. Click "Go"

Step 3: Confirm all the OK's and what-not. You should have just accepted the file into VoiceMemo.

Step 4: Open Voice Memo, select the ringtone file in the list shown, hit Menu, and "Copy to Ringtone"

Step 5: Open Prefs: Sounds & Alerts: Manage... and tap on the ringtone you just added -- if it plays, you did it correctly. You can then assign it to callers or call types, as needed.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Your steps are correct. However, I'm finding a problem with wave files that the 650 didn't have.
    One comment -- you need to make sure it's a PCM-format WAV file. I have good luck with 11,050 Hz, 16-bit, mono -- sound good and are reasonably small.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    When you copy as a ringtone from voice memo, it seems to truncate the file around 200k. Are you seeing this?
    Yep...I just tried a 700KB WAV and it got saved as a truncated, 195KB ringtone.
    This can be done a bit easier if you have Explorer or Filez. Browse for and highlight your file, then open it with Voice Memo.

My files also are truncated at 200k. That's really the only thing that's left to work out....the file size limitation.
    I use a couple of programs to chop and convert mp3 to acc. Wavepad, the free version will do it all, or Easy CD-DA Extractor (converts) but costs, and mp3directcut (free) will cut the mp3 to size but won't convert. I have made 5 acc ringtones using these methods and uploaded via the free upload sources mentioned above.
    Hi,
    I appreciate the info. When I did it with an .m4a file it opened into Kinoma player and showed a file error... I renamed the file with .aac and it tried to download it into Blazer..

Quote Originally Posted by craigf

Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    I cannot get this 5 step process to work with .acc but it does work with .wav. My 700p tells me that the file type is invalid for the device when I load it with the browser. Any thoughts?
    Ok, I've tried all of the above suggestions. I have taken a short audio clip in a WAV file (44.1 KHz stereo) and have used dBpowerAmp to encode it into AAC. First I encoded it into an MP4 wrapped file, but then tried the codec that went straight to AAC. No luck either way.

I renamed the files with an extension of ".amr", sent the files to my Treo 700p via email, opened them up in Voice Memo, copied them to ringtones, then used FileZ to change the files type to "AACf".

I can see the files in the Sounds program, but when I assign them to anything, they don't produce any sound.

Any ideas? Can someone post a link to an AAC file that they have successfully converted into a ringtone, so I can compare it to the one I have generated?
    I have had similar resulsts. However, I did get a one of these files to correctly play as a ringer. Unfortunately, the file went from 1.5MB to .5MB, which is still larger than I would like. I tried a different frequency, but it did not produce any sound. I guess I am going to have to do some experimenting this weekend...
    The trick is to keep the file size small, no larger than 300 kb. I was having problems too until I cut the final version of the aac down to around just over 200 kb and then voila it worked fine.
    OK, I have had great success following these directions:
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54271
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678