Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Well is it that site that does that or blazer itself?
    The site does it...All Sprint phones use GCD's (General Content Descriptors) for their downloads. The GCD file however, isn't the actual file, it tells the phone where to download the file from.

That being said, I remember a while ago there was a site that had a GCD creator so you could make your own GCD's, and in turn, upload ringtones and other files by yourself. I'm not sure if it would be possible to create a GCD that points to F:/// in blazer, but if it is, then that might make it a bit easier to download ringtones.
    what the hell.... how are you guys getting the fiel into the sounds manager on the 700p? I uploaded a .mp3 from funformobile and I go tthe text message and everythign but it only lets you save it to your sd card. I took the SD card out and it would let me save it. How do I get the file inot my sounds application?
    nevermind.. im a dumbass. it needs to be a .mp4 or .acc file. In funformoble you can jsut select any phone model and it will work... sorry
    the whole thread is about aac files. pretty sure mp3 will not work
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    the whole thread is about aac files. pretty sure mp3 will not work
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    The site does it...All Sprint phones use GCD's (General Content Descriptors) for their downloads. The GCD file however, isn't the actual file, it tells the phone where to download the file from.

That being said, I remember a while ago there was a site that had a GCD creator so you could make your own GCD's, and in turn, upload ringtones and other files by yourself. I'm not sure if it would be possible to create a GCD that points to F:/// in blazer, but if it is, then that might make it a bit easier to download ringtones.

But what about AMR files though? As I recall the 650 could play those natively as ringers as well and they could be loaded from the card if I'm not mistaken? In this particulat case, wouldn't it be blazer that converts the file for native support? Btw, does the 700p stil support AMR?

Anyway, it just seems weird and cumbersome method to rely on some 3rd party werbsite for this purpose. I thnk there has to be a workaround or hack etc that would allow one to load AAC files etc natively from the card of the device itself. The PalmOS does NOT support various native files types like AAC, doc, mp3 etc in ram. Thus they have to be converted to compatible palmos formats (*.pdb). I'm just hoping an app or blazer itself is converting the files...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7. dnb
    The site does it...All Sprint phones use GCD's (General Content Descriptors) for their downloads.
    Do they all handle the same basic AAC file format pointed to in a GCD? For example, if I see a ringtone for sale for one of the other PowerVision phones, is it likely it will work on a 700p?

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has had a successful or unsuccessful experience purchasing a ringtone for a Sprint 700p by claiming they had a different phone.

-- dNb
    sending aac ringers via sprint users upload, all works ok but ringer shows up with lock in sound manager....cant share ringer then ... : (

u also cannot email the ringer to your phone , when u go to download , the phone resets...

how do u get around having ringers locked...?
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot
    sending aac ringers via sprint users upload, all works ok but ringer shows up with lock in sound manager....cant share ringer then ... : (

u also cannot email the ringer to your phone , when u go to download , the phone resets...

how do u get around having ringers locked...?
    Use FileZ.
    Edit Attributes.
    Remove Copy Protection.
    Voila!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Re: Unlocking Ringers. This might be somewhere else, but easy enough to repeat...

Not sure if other File Managers can do this, but I simply used ZLauncher's File Manager.

1. Select the "Ton-xxx..." file to unlock. It will be highlighted in yellow
    2. Tap and hold in the yellow, select "info"
    3. Click in the "Attrs:" dotted line box
    4. Uncheck "Copy Prevention". Click Done
    5. VERY IMPORTANT. Click "Save" to make the change. If you only select OK, the attributes change will not be made and the ringer will still have the Lock in the Sounds Manager App.
    6. Done. Beam or copy the file as much as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot
    sending aac ringers via sprint users upload, all works ok but ringer shows up with lock in sound manager....cant share ringer then ... :
    You can try the above or just HotSync your device and install the Ton-xxx.pdb file from the Backups folder into the new device. Works like a charm.
    Cool. I didn't realize that the 'backups' folder files had the "Copy Protection" flag turned off. Why would that be?

It seems to be too easy of a way to get around the supposed protection for paid downloads - obviously this protection wasn't really intended for the tones we create and send to ourselves via Sprintusers.com.
    To trim songs for macs, I use quicktime
    Quote Originally Posted by dnb
    Do they all handle the same basic AAC file format pointed to in a GCD? For example, if I see a ringtone for sale for one of the other PowerVision phones, is it likely it will work on a 700p?

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has had a successful or unsuccessful experience purchasing a ringtone for a Sprint 700p by claiming they had a different phone.

-- dNb
    The MM series (MultiMedia) phones do. Yes, an AAC from an A900 for example, should work with the 700p.

But why purchase from Sprint though? The whole point of using your own ringtones is being able to make your own ringtones for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    But what about AMR files though? As I recall the 650 could play those natively as ringers as well and they could be loaded from the card if I'm not mistaken? In this particulat case, wouldn't it be blazer that converts the file for native support? Btw, does the 700p stil support AMR?

Anyway, it just seems weird and cumbersome method to rely on some 3rd party werbsite for this purpose. I thnk there has to be a workaround or hack etc that would allow one to load AAC files etc natively from the card of the device itself. The PalmOS does NOT support various native files types like AAC, doc, mp3 etc in ram. Thus they have to be converted to compatible palmos formats (*.pdb). I'm just hoping an app or blazer itself is converting the files...
    I don't exactly understand your question about the AMR ringtones, but I'm pretty sure the Treo isn't converting the file. AAC support was probably a Sprint thing, because many of Sprint's other phones support AAC ringtones. Either that or Palm didn't want to license MP3, but I think it was more of a Sprint thing.

It's wierd to you because the 650 would let you just copy it over, but with all other Sprint phones, the only ways are to use QPST or BitPim to upload via a USB cable, or to use a third party uploader. Cell phones companies do this so you're more likely to buy their ringtones. If you had a regular cell phone from Sprint, you'd be using an uploader to get your ringtones for free.
    I don't know if they've changed it, but I remember a few years ago, Verizon phones weren't able to download content from anywhere else but Verizon. I'm not sure if this still holds true, but knowing Verizon, it probably is, and an uploader may not necessarily work for Verizon (if there are any, I haven't seen any myself).
    You can download from any website. I haven't found any restrictions with Verizon.
  17. dnb
    But why purchase from Sprint though? The whole point of using your own ringtones is being able to make your own ringtones for free.
    Believe it or not, I'm actually more interested in the ringtones at http://mobilestore.sesameworkshop.org/SesameStreet/. Your messages leads me to believe I should try purchasing one just as an experiment. Thanks!
    I just created a 48K WAV file (using Sonar 5 Producer) of a piece of Aerosmith's "Mama Kin". I then converted it to mp4/aac using dBpowerAmp. I uploaded the file to www.funformobile.com, and it sent it to me as a text message. I was able to save the sound, and I can see it on my 700p "Sounds" application, but it doesn't make any output sound! I tried assigning it to a phone number, and when the call comes in, you don't hear anything.

Any ideas?
  19. dnb
    Quote Originally Posted by dnb
    Believe it or not, I'm actually more interested in the ringtones at http://mobilestore.sesameworkshop.org/SesameStreet/. Your messages leads me to believe I should try purchasing one just as an experiment. Thanks!
    Ok, so here's a quick update. I tried the experiment and found a few things out after much fiddling. If all of this is gibberish to you, feel free to skip this message and just take the following summary: "Nope, doesn't work as one would hope."

Setting the phone type to A900 and choosing a "TrueTone" did not work as I had hoped because:
    1. the SMS message for purchase handed Blazer a URL it couldn't quite handle. It would appear to download the ringtone data, but then would not put it any place useful. My guess is that it handled the GCD URL fine, but punted on the actual data (more on that in a sec).
    2. getting a copy of that GCD file to examine was no mean feat. I eventually had to download a copy of my Messages database to my laptop, look at its contents using strings to find the right URL, and then (because that web site choked on anything that wasn't a WAP browser) feed that URL to http://www.wapsilon.com/, which then handed me back a URL which pointed at a GCD file. I grabbed the GCD file with wget, and looked at it to see where it pointed the phone for the actual data file.
    3. and (surprise!) that actual file was a .mp3 file. Bad dog, no AAC download for you!

Yes, I was (thanks to other posts in this thread) able to convert that mp3 to AAC and get it into the phone (read: export using the quicktime plugin, rename the file to .m4a, upload it to the phone), but it definitely felt like one big game of Mousetrap. I think it is still an open question as to whether there's another Sprint phone whose native non-polytone ringtone format is AAC and compatible with the 700p, but I can now tell you from experience that the A900 isn't it.

-- dNb
    I have tried both sprintusers and funformobile and I get the same bad results. I get the sms file but when I select the link it opens Blazer and I get the following message: "The file you are attempting to download is not supported on your device." Any advice?
    "I want my 2 dollars!"
    - Better Off Dead -
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast