Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    It doesn't even matter how long the phone's been out, the webpage was up before the phone was released. Someone could have planned to purchase the 700p because they thought it would support MP3 and video ringtones, but when they get their 700p, they find out it doesn't. That's false advertising, regardless of when the page was fixed.

and nchargeed, try using dbpoweramp to convert your ringtones to AAC, and rumkin to upload your ringers. You might also want to try removing ringo if you haven't already.
    How did you use QuickTime to make them? I have QuickTime Pro, but I can only see a way to make AAC in iTunes. In QuickTime, you can export as MP4, but it seems like this is a video file (it's .mp4, not .mp4a).

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Have the file in an m4a or aac format (they're the same thing, in fact you can use quicktime to make these). Go to the site, browse to the file, put in your phone number. Your phone will then get an SMS with a link. Click the link and download and save. Then when it's all done go to the "sounds" app and it's in there.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    How did you use QuickTime to make them? I have QuickTime Pro, but I can only see a way to make AAC in iTunes. In QuickTime, you can export as MP4, but it seems like this is a video file (it's .mp4, not .mp4a).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=47

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I tried enconding my aac's with itunes and ffmpeg with no luck....found this plugin...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20472

for QT pro (encodes in a different form of aac) Used plugins to export and saved with m4a extension and worked like a champ with sprintusers uploader,

thanks all!
  4.    #84  
    MP4 works too. You export the file, but select no video and twiddle with the audio settings to your liking.
    Ummm. Why use an uploader? Two or three easy steps without an uploader. Am I missing something? Is this method flawed? Maybe this will only work for AMR & MIDI files?

1) Download AMR or QCP ringtone from funformobile.com
    2) Bluetooth to 700p & accept into Voice Memo
    3) Use Voice Memo "Copy to Ringtone" menu item

MIDI files go straight to ringtones without the need for Voice Memo.

HINT: Use the manage button when setting Sound & Alerts Preferences on your phone to rename the ringtone & remove the extension from the ringtone name.

100K Benny Hill AMR playing when somebody calls. Think I'll look for something else.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/02/2006 at 07:19 PM.
    AMR and WAVE files can indeed to sent via bluetooth directly no problem. The issue seems to be whether you send AAC files. I haven't had a chance to try this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Ummm. Why use an uploader? Three easy steps without an uploader. Am I missing something? Is this method flawed? Maybe this will only work for AMR files?

1) Download AMR ringtone from funformobile.com
    2) Bluetooth to 700p & accept into Voice Memo
    3) Use Voice Memo "Copy to Ringtone" menu item

HINT: Use the manage button when setting Sound & Alerts Preferences on your phone to rename the ringtone & remove the extension from the ringtone name.

100K Benny Hill AMR playing when somebody calls. Think I'll look for something else.
    AMR and WAVE files can indeed to sent via bluetooth directly no problem. The issue seems to be whether you send AAC files. I haven't had a chance to try this myself.
    Ahhh. The MP4 files become M4A files when I save them in Windows and the 700p doesn't recognize these when sent via bluetooth.

Now I understand.

The funformobile.com works great for the MP4 files, smaller size, sounds better. Thanks for straightening me out, bcaslis.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/02/2006 at 07:31 PM.
    When i was in funformobile... i only saw Verizon-Cingular-T Mobile as carrier options... how are you sending them to Sprint Treos?

Sprintusers.com works fine...
    -jscott
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Hope this helps someone. Here is a great converter for tons of A/V formats, I converted all my ringers that I used in the old Lightwav that were in wav and MP3 in a batch convert. The program is called Media Coder:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

All you do is hit the "add file" button on the top left, make sure your output file is set properly in the top right, then in the lower left, for encoder, I selected Nero AAC and left everything else as the default settings.

I uploaded via the funformobile and it worked great!

Thanks for the help from all the previous posters, just got rid of having to buy a new version of Lightwav or any other ringtone manager!!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Have the file in an m4a or aac format (they're the same thing, in fact you can use quicktime to make these). Go to the site, browse to the file, put in your phone number. Your phone will then get an SMS with a link. Click the link and download and save. Then when it's all done go to the "sounds" app and it's in there.
    Thanks Merlyn - I should've read this post before my last post
    I don't know. I'm still fumbling with this. I've converted using the free Quicktime plug for AAC, Quicktime to MP4, and iTunes to AAC. For the quicktime AAC and iTunes AAC I get "invalid format". For the Quicktime MP4 it goes to the Picture&Video app and plays as a movie with no image and sound.

I've also found that WAV files sent via bluetooth seem to go fine, but in reality are truncated at 200k length. Anyone else see this? There is no problem with this on the 650.

Finally MP4 movies played in Kinoma Player EX always popup an "invalid format" error message but then play just fine. I'm really confused with this thing!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Ummm. Why use an uploader? Two or three easy steps without an uploader.
    According to this thread, ringers sent this way are marked as "locked" and may reset the phone when you try to assign them to a contact? Haven't tried it yet, but perhaps uploading directly via a Hotsync or Bluetooth or even via email will avoid that issue.
    For some reason I can't get my Verizon 700p to recognize any aac formats (aac, m4a). It will recognize .amr files and .qcp files, and if I change the extension on an m4a file to mp4, it will load it as a video and play the tone but I can't save the audio as a ringtone.

I'm trying to hack around the issue by renaming the file to .amr then loading it into Voice Memo, then saving it as a ringtone. I'm hoping if I change the "Type" or "Creator" I can get it to work properly.

So... Can any Sprint users that have an AAC ringtone working check out the attributes using Filez or something similar and post them?

Thanks!

EDIT: Got it working by tooling around. Here are some steps for Verizon users.

1. Convert your tone to aac (not m4a), then change the extension to .amr.
    2. Get the file onto the phone via BT, email, or direct from the card. I don't think it really matters how. Save it as a ringtone -- it will not play, though.
    3. Use Filez or something similar to change the "Type" from AMRf to AACf (Case is important). It will me listed as "TON-{name}".
    4. Have fun with your ringtone!
    Last edited by amtatar; 06/05/2006 at 03:33 PM.
    I don't know. I'm still fumbling with this. I've converted using the free Quicktime plug for AAC, Quicktime to MP4, and iTunes to AAC. For the quicktime AAC and iTunes AAC I get "invalid format". For the Quicktime MP4 it goes to the Picture&Video app and plays as a movie with no image and sound.

I've also found that WAV files sent via bluetooth seem to go fine, but in reality are truncated at 200k length. Anyone else see this? There is no problem with this on the 650.

Finally MP4 movies played in Kinoma Player EX always popup an "invalid format" error message but then play just fine. I'm really confused with this thing!
    Covered in this post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/ne...eply&p=1004994

It appears that Kinoma Player 3.1.1 EX does not know about the decoders in the 700p since that player shipped a year ago. Just ignore it. It seems to work fine anyway.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    According to this thread, ringers sent this way are marked as "locked" and may reset the phone when you try to assign them to a contact?

Well I tested this out tonight; I downloaded a WAV from here...
    I imported it into iTunes...
    Used iTunes to convert it to 32 kbps AAC file (which gave the file a .m4a suffix)...
    Then I used this site to send it to my phone.
    Downloaded the file fine, and yes, it does show up in my ringtone list with a lock icon next to it.
    However, I was able to assign it to a contact just fine, and it rings just fine when that contact calls me!

So far I am happy with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Well I tested this out tonight; I downloaded a WAV from here...
    I imported it into iTunes...
    Used iTunes to convert it to 32 kbps AAC file (which gave the file a .m4a suffix)...
    Then I used this site to send it to my phone.
    Downloaded the file fine, and yes, it does show up in my ringtone list with a lock icon next to it.
    However, I was able to assign it to a contact just fine, and it rings just fine when that contact calls me!

So far I am happy with this.
    Some of the AAC ringers I have won't play on the 700P for some reason but I did find that the WAV versions download, install directly into Sounds and play fine - although they're quite large compared to the other formats.
    I'm extremely happy with the volumn of the AAC files. Seems that MP3s used as ringtones using Ringo aren't nearly as LOUD as the AAC files played directly from the phone's radio.

However, I like the fact that Ringo allows me to assign individual SMS tones and group tones.

As a result, I'M STILL USING RINGO....but....instead of assigning MP3s I'm assigning the AACs directly from the phones radio. This way I get a much more stable result from Ringo AND I have the benefit of nice LOUD (AAC)ringtones.

LEMONADE FROM LEMONS!

K
    OK.. I converted a short 5-8 second ringtone to m4a..uploaded it & then downloaded to my phone... selected it as a ringer in the phone app. & indeed it rings when I receive calls. My problem is that it only plays once, rather than repeat...how do I get it to repeat?
    thx.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atbodamer
    OK.. I converted a short 5-8 second ringtone to m4a..uploaded it & then downloaded to my phone... selected it as a ringer in the phone app. & indeed it rings when I receive calls. My problem is that it only plays once, rather than repeat...how do I get it to repeat?
    thx.
    Load the files into Audacity (the freeware program ), highlight the section of sounds using Ctrl-A, click on the "copy" button, under Edit I believe, there is an option to snap to the end of the track, do that, then paste it on the end, repeat a few times until you have a track that is about 15 seconds long, then save and reupload. A little bit of a pain, but will take about 3 minutes per ringtone and you avoid the need for a 3rd party program.
    Exxxcellent! Very much appreciated...works great now!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast