Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Rec'd VZW treo 700p last friday and it didn't see a full use at the hospital until today. I'd previously used a Blackberry for hospital emails and organizing and this is my first treo. I took the device off the charger (std 1800 mAh battery) at 6am this morning and it was dying about 5 pm.

I know my bluetooth was accidently on for most of the morning, since my car uses bluetooth for wireless calls, i had left it on, which probably drained the battery. I use versamail for checking email every 30 minutes, however my connection always seems to be on despite my setting auto sync to check for mail every 30 minutes,

Throughout the day, I probably made about 70 minutes of phone calls, browsed for 10 min using blazer (much slower than I thought it would be on EVDO) and used medical programs for about 35 minutes or so.

Mail is nice because i get my messages quickly (although i really miss the push email of blackberry and the scroll wheel - the volume buttons should only be active on phone calls and should be scrolling buttons in other apps - i don't understand that decision).

I get messages almost instantly, which is nice, but this battery life is appallingly poor. To me, a phone is useless if it can't go though ONE day of hard use without being charged again.

I'm going to try the 3rd party Sedio (?) 2400 mAh battery and see how that works. I'll keep anyone interested posted on my experiences.
    I read somewhere that you should let the battery "break in" for 5 cycle before it reaches its optimal charge. I would give it some time and see how it works before buying a new battery.
    12 hours being on with bluetooth on and 70 min of calls and 10 min browsing, and PDA function/screen on for about an hour is about average. Bluetooth will really eat the battery bad and 70 min calls plus all the extra stuff isnt bad, battery lifeis only something like 5 hours talk time but bluetooth and net and PDA stuff all drains that time down. Polling your mail every 30 min really sucks the juice having to connect to the net every 30 min. If its not nessecary try an hour or 2 hour interval and youll see a big jump in battery life. Could also jsut need a few drain/recharge cycles to get conditioned
    Yeah when you're using Bluetooth isn't it sending out and receiving data constantly? Which drains the battery even though it's just a small amount of data.
    If you work inside a hospital what sort of coverage do you get inside there during the day? I find with my 650 that if I'm in a poor coverage area (like inside the office building I work) the battery definitely gets sucked down pretty quickly because the phone is always trying hard to pull in a signal. If you've got it to auto-fetch email every 30 minutes and you're in that situation (low signal strength), that would exascerbate it further.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    i think youre expecting too much from a PDA phone. Tips to increase battery life: set mail to 1hr+ intervals, turn screen brightness down a notch or 2, turn off bluetooth when not in use as well as use a car charger in the car while using bluetooth keeping the battery charged till you get out of the car. Should all help maybe even get an extra few hours of battery life once the battery is conditioned after a few days. My Sprint 650 would last all day with phone calls and browsing and mail set to check every 3 hrs and weather every 12 hours
    Seems to me like the screens are always set to way brighter than is neccessary. That's one of the first things I always do is turn the screen brightness down or power saving features, because it's a color screen it's generally bright enough with backlights on and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    If you work inside a hospital what sort of coverage do you get inside there during the day? I find with my 650 that if I'm in a poor coverage area (like inside the office building I work) the battery definitely gets sucked down pretty quickly because the phone is always trying hard to pull in a signal. If you've got it to auto-fetch email every 30 minutes and you're in that situation (low signal strength), that would exascerbate it further.
    I bet the EVDO is slow because you are inside the hospital.
    GG the fly -

First, I just got my Sprint 700p and the battery drained super quickly without much talking or surfing and without Bluetooth on. I suspect that the battery need to cycle some to get to optimal working condition. If it doesn't after a few cycles, I will put my 650 battery in to see if I get better life out of it.

Second, I too am in medicine and enjoy the convenience of PUSH email. I don't have mission critical emails to respond to, but the geeky tech dude inside of me wants it.

The solution for people like us that don't need to be on a corporate blackberry server is buying Chatteremail ($39, www.chatteremail.com) and subscribing to an IMAP email service called EmailTreo ($10 for 6 months, first 6 months free; www.emailtreo.com).

Chatteremail is a great email program, much better than versamail. With Chatteremail and an emailtreo account, you can acheive true PUSH email on the treo. On my 650, I was able to keep the phone on all day with chatteremail on a single charge. This program is awesome and the developer is really making it into a world class program.

On my system, I have my gmail forward to my emailtreo account which gets pushed to my device. I am able to send emails from my device from my gmail account; the advantage of this is that no one ever sees my emailtreo account and people think I am emailing them from my gmail account. pretty slick.

Hope this helps make your transition from BB to Palm a little easier. There are some real advantages to the Palm over BB in my opinion.
    I've noticed that my battery drains a little faster, but I think it's software related.

For example, Treohelper is a little wonky, and doesn't properly shut down in poor signal and fire back up.

I have a feeling a few of my programs are getting hung on cycles which are causing "not quite turbo" draining. I'm slowly working through the suspects and hopefully will come up with some culprits.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zyprexa
    GG the fly -

First, I just got my Sprint 700p and the battery drained super quickly without much talking or surfing and without Bluetooth on. I suspect that the battery need to cycle some to get to optimal working condition. If it doesn't after a few cycles, I will put my 650 battery in to see if I get better life out of it.

Second, I too am in medicine and enjoy the convenience of PUSH email. I don't have mission critical emails to respond to, but the geeky tech dude inside of me wants it.

The solution for people like us that don't need to be on a corporate blackberry server is buying Chatteremail ($39, www.chatteremail.com) and subscribing to an IMAP email service called EmailTreo ($10 for 6 months, first 6 months free; www.emailtreo.com).

Chatteremail is a great email program, much better than versamail. With Chatteremail and an emailtreo account, you can acheive true PUSH email on the treo. On my 650, I was able to keep the phone on all day with chatteremail on a single charge. This program is awesome and the developer is really making it into a world class program.

On my system, I have my gmail forward to my emailtreo account which gets pushed to my device. I am able to send emails from my device from my gmail account; the advantage of this is that no one ever sees my emailtreo account and people think I am emailing them from my gmail account. pretty slick.

Hope this helps make your transition from BB to Palm a little easier. There are some real advantages to the Palm over BB in my opinion.
    Thanks All. I'll try waiting more cycles to see what happens, but I will still get the extra battery in the meantime, figuring i'll need it eventually.

Zyprexa- Thanks for your advice regarding push email - I think that VersaMail is an exceedingly mediocre email program and it's good to know that another physician has had good experiences with another program - I think I'll try your advice.

I'll keep everyone posted on the battery life - if it improves, etc., and what it's like with the 2400 battery.

Thanks for welcoming me to TreoCentral.
    BT enabled does drain the battery faster, but in my experience, I get a little more than 4hr. talktime on a fully-charged battery using a plugged-in headset and just about 4 hr. using a BT headset. Not much of a difference. That doesn't account for the idle time, though BT should only be sending out a beacon every several seconds while idle, not much more than when your phone is in standby waiting for a call.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    No prob GG-The Fly.

Let me know how chatteremail is working for you.

By the way, I let my battery drain down to 5% yesterday and charged it all night. I have been at the hospital today, so I only made 1 phone call and have had chatteremail on all day and am at 45% after about 14 hours or so off charge. Not bad I imagine.

I am going to purchase the SEIDO 2400m battery. 33% is always better. always.
    GG

Chatter also allows you to map the volume buttons as scroll buttons.

Sam
    I am actaully finding battery life to be longer on my 700p than my 650...definitely not worse.

You might have a dud battery.
    I got worse battery life with the 700p. I even used the same 2200mAh battery that I previously had in my 650, so there's no chance of needing to cycle the battery or anything.

Palm even rates the battery life as being worse than the 650 and they each come with the same size battery. What's that tell you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GG_The_Fly
    Thanks All. I'll try waiting more cycles to see what happens, but I will still get the extra battery in the meantime, figuring i'll need it eventually.

Zyprexa- Thanks for your advice regarding push email - I think that VersaMail is an exceedingly mediocre email program and it's good to know that another physician has had good experiences with another program - I think I'll try your advice.

I'll keep everyone posted on the battery life - if it improves, etc., and what it's like with the 2400 battery.

Thanks for welcoming me to TreoCentral.
    I bought the 2400 battery when I got the 700p and I like it a lot - makes the 700p feel more substantial too!
    I'm definitely noticing poorer battery life. It's 3:00PM here and I've used half the battery life. On my old 650, it would be night before that would happen. I'm not doing much different. Chatter (I don't keep it running constantly), listened to 30 mins. mp3 files while on a walk, occasionally check web and maybe 1 phone call. Have not used Sprint TV today (actually probably will cancel TV after free month, I don't see myself using it much).
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr
    I bought the 2400 battery when I got the 700p and I like it a lot - makes the 700p feel more substantial too!
    Why does it feel more substantial? It's only 5g heavier than the stock battery. That's only a 2.7% increase in total weight.
    That's really strange. I'm getting WAY better life with my 700 than I had with my 650.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast