Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by airoid
    I bet the EVDO is slow because you are inside the hospital.
    EVDO could be slow because you don't have an EVDO connection. There are a whole lot of people out there who STILL only have access to the 1x data network who are mistaking the faster rendering speed of the new Blazer release for an EVDO connection.
  2. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by sebfrey
    I had terrible problems with my battery. After about 1 hour plugged-in, it would charge the battery maybe 10%. It would also drain very quickly - from a full charge, the Treo would be dead 4-5 hours later. Today I got a new battery, and it charges much more quickly. However, it still drains pretty quickly, but not so bad as before. Y'all think maybe it's ChatterMail? Is SnapperMail more efficient with the battery?
    In my situation, it is definitely the Good email app. With Good 4.8 initiated, even though it is OFFLINE and radio/bluetooth/IR off, Good is still running in background and drains battery at about 4% per hour. When I do a soft reset which turns off Good, and then am sure not to re-initiate Good, then the battery does not drain at all (0-1% in 8 hrs). I have posts, an email and a private msg into GoodGuy. Hopefully he will suggest a fix. Meantime, I just soft reset using mreset after using Good.
    First, I have NO third party apps installed.

On Demand is NOT set to auto-update.

That "location" thingy is turned off.

VersaMail is set to sync every 30 minutes.

So, I ask this...

Why do my little "data arrows" on my signal strength meter turn "green" once every minute for about 5-10 seconds?

What could be causing data to be transmitted every minute?

FYI - This only seems to occur while in a 1x data network - while in EVDO coverage, this phenomenon is not occurring.

I have a feeling this may be contributing to the battery drain.

Any thoughts on why this is happening???
    i've narrowed my battery drainage problem down to VINDIGO and ADDIT/MY TREO.
    if you guys noticed, addit conduit is installed on your 700p but there is no app associated with it? apparently, its for my treo. and i think that is what's causing my drainage. i should know for sure by tonight, after further testing...
    how do we uninstall ADDIT - and does sprint 700's have that already installed? The reason is that my Sprint 700 battery drains real bad too but doesn't have the ADDIT software.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    when you first install the palm desktop software, you will see that it automatically syncs the ADDIT condiut to your palm. when i did a hard reset and didnt perform a hotsync afterwards, my battery was normal all day yesterday. after i resynced, and installed vindigo, the draining happened again. so it's either vindigo or addit. not entirely sure yet...

as far as uninstalling it, i havent tried it yet, will try it tonight at home and update...
  7. nsm
    I hear a lot about "my battery life is crappy" and "not as good as my 600." Thats all fine and dandy, but does anybody else notice that this phone takes FOREVER to charge.

Does anybody else's phone take 4-8 hours to charge? Even the spare battery in the cradle takes about 6 hours to charge.

What about charge times when speaking. If the phone is plugged in while talking on it, the charge times are significantly faster.

To summarize:
    Phone in cradle, occassional use: 8 hours to charge
    Battery out of phone, in crade: 6 hours to charge
    Phone plugged in, talking on it: fully charged after a very long conversation (1 hour)
    yes! I have seen this also - takes forever to fricken charge
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r
    I think the battery issue has something to do with evdo... My phone is setup to notify me when in and out of coverage... I have very poor reception at my place of residence and without even using the phone the battery goes down very fast... I've also noticed that the phone becomes extremely hot!!!!
    doubt it has anything to do with evdo. i am coming from the 700w and it had comparatively great battery life vs the P.

the p really does surprise me with the poor battery life. it definititely seems like somethings wrong. maybe they DID put wifi in this thing adn didnt tell anybody, becasue the battery sure acts like it.
    I would: get the seido extended battery(seido.com) turn off beam; turn off blue tooth; install LATEST universal wireless keyboard prc file ( don't have to need the keyboard itself ) and turn it to off. I believe all of these will improve the battery life and cut down drain.
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    With my OEM battery after about 9 hours at work, I get about 87% when I leave work. My phone is on but rarely used, maybe with 1 text or 2. BT is on. Beam off. I have the 2200mah Seidio I get home at about 93% battery life. Once I start using data, then he battery drain is very significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    doubt it has anything to do with evdo. i am coming from the 700w and it had comparatively great battery life vs the P.

the p really does surprise me with the poor battery life. it definititely seems like somethings wrong. maybe they DID put wifi in this thing adn didnt tell anybody, becasue the battery sure acts like it.
    It might still be EVDO. It might be a bug in FrankenGarnet that's having trouble with the EVDO. There's also the EVDO/*2-hangup bug and the database access speed bug. Any of the three problems may or may not be related.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think I have narrowed down the battery drainage to Bluetooth and EVDO. Here's my story:

For a while I did not have a BT headset and I made sure the Data connection was off (antenna icon appears clean without gray arrows). I would rarely use data with my phone, say surf the web, email, nothing like that. But I did use the phone app very heavily, with very long phone conversation that could last up to 2hrs (my fiancee and I live in different cities ) In this scenario my battery would drain to about 50% after 1-2hrs continuous phone call conversations. When I traveled to visit her, in stand-by mode, the phone in about three days went from fully charged to about 90% - 85% without recharging, moderate data usage (check directions with mapquest, browse for restaurant info, etc.).

I decided to get more "serious" about my phone's other capabilities, and got myself a BT headset (Palm BT headset) so I have the phone with BT ON all the time. I also chose to leave the data conection on all the times (Antenna icon with gray arrows on idle mode, green arrows with data activity). Now I surf the web whenever I have a chance. And now with this type of usage, my battery lasts less than a day.

As you can see, the only difference between the two scenarios is more heavy EVDO usage and BT radio ON all the time. I have Versamail installed but I have it set to manual, and there are no other apps that require a data connection ON.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15
    I think I have narrowed down the battery drainage to Bluetooth and EVDO. Here's my story:

For a while I did not have a BT headset and I made sure the Data connection was off (antenna icon appears clean without gray arrows). I would rarely use data with my phone, say surf the web, email, nothing like that. But I did use the phone app very heavily, with very long phone conversation that could last up to 2hrs (my fiancee and I live in different cities ) In this scenario my battery would drain to about 50% after 1-2hrs continuous phone call conversations. When I traveled to visit her, in stand-by mode, the phone in about three days went from fully charged to about 90% - 85% without recharging, moderate data usage (check directions with mapquest, browse for restaurant info, etc.).

I decided to get more "serious" about my phone's other capabilities, and got myself a BT headset (Palm BT headset) so I have the phone with BT ON all the time. I also chose to leave the data conection on all the times (Antenna icon with gray arrows on idle mode, green arrows with data activity). Now I surf the web whenever I have a chance. And now with this type of usage, my battery lasts less than a day.

As you can see, the only difference between the two scenarios is more heavy EVDO usage and BT radio ON all the time. I have Versamail installed but I have it set to manual, and there are no other apps that require a data connection ON.
    but that doesnt explain how the 700w, with the same processor gets so much better battery life, unless you simp[ly chalk it up to the screen resolution....maybe thats the problem, but BT and EVDO on the same hardware platform should'nt have two wildly different results.
    I tested the battery life on the Audacity voice recorder application. On the Treo 650 I could record for about 6.5 hours on a full charge before I was getting battery low warnings. On the 700P I could get about 10.5 hours doing the same test. My guess is the faster radio takes more power, but the efficiency of the device seems much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15
    I also chose to leave the data conection on all the times (Antenna icon with gray arrows on idle mode, green arrows with data activity).
    How do you do this?
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage
    First, I have NO third party apps installed.

So, I ask this...

Why do my little "data arrows" on my signal strength meter turn "green" once every minute for about 5-10 seconds?

What could be causing data to be transmitted every minute?

FYI - This only seems to occur while in a 1x data network - while in EVDO coverage, this phenomenon is not occurring.

I have a feeling this may be contributing to the battery drain.

Any thoughts on why this is happening???
    Not sure if this helps you any, but I had the same problem with my 650. It bugged me so much that I called tech support and they claimed that they never heard of that problem before. I ended up bringing it in and exchanging it for a new one. Good luck!
    I have always thought that the EVDO radio was the culperate in relation to 1xRRT.
    at&t iPhone3G
    ok here is what I can say eat my battery. I had my phone for about 6 weeks, i've read about bad battery life since day one it came out so I decided to test it when I get mine.

I don't have chatter mail or anything that run the internet in the background.

I have toccer so if I connect all the time it will run internet in the background.

so here's what I observed so far, for first two week I would have toccer connect all the time, bluetooth on all the time, and then do my regular activity ( I use web about 3-4 hours/day, talk on the phone without bluetooth headset about 2 hours/day, text messaging about 20/day, manually check email with snapper about 10 time/day) I took the phone off the charger every morning around 9 am (everyday) first 2 week I consistantly run out of battery around 5 pm. well not too bad but certainly not good at all.

3rd week everything is the same but I download keyboard driver from palm website. the battery would last about the same time if not a little bit more (like 6pm max) so I can say that the wireless keyboard driver didn't do anything for me (and yes I set it up right, enable power setting to max).

4th week with the same usage. I uninstall wireless keyboard driver and now I never log on the toccer for the whole week and make sure after I use Web I disconnect the power vision. Well I saw improvement. now my phone will last to around 8-8:45 pm almost everyday (that's 3 hours or 28% improvement) not too bad at all I would be happy if it last from 9 am until I get back home so I don't have to worry about not having a phone while I'm not home yet.

5th week no toccer and I turn bluetooth off all day everyday during the week. Now we're talking, my battery during this week would last me til almost midnight or 1 am consistantly. that's almost double from first week in the test or almost 100% increase in battery life for me. now I'm happy. well not as good as my 650 I usually get 2 day of the same usage I do with my 650.

now I'm on week 6, still the getting good result.
    sorry accidentally hit post : ) so my plan for next week is I'm going to switch phone from my accound and I will see if there's no radio activity at all how long the battery going to last. I know it's going to be substantially more than any other week because without service mean I will not be talking on it, no web usage or no e-mail checking. but I want to see the base line for my batterry. and for the following week which I hope would be my last test week (cant be without treo for long I'm an addict) I would put treo back on my account but I will disconnect internet all the time but bluetooth all the time and see which one drain more battery for me.

so with all this test and time, I can say (at least for my treo) that

1) bluetooth and web does effect battery life, which one more I have to wait until the end of next week.

2) so if you use program that would run internet in the background I would say your battery will drain faster than normal.

3) if you leave bluetooth on all day I bet that would majorly effect your battery life too (at least it does on mine)

I have good signal at home and work all the time at least I know that my phone didn't drain bettery trying to find signal.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast