Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rvr2k3
    How does the battery life compare to the Treo 600?
    The battery is not even close to being longer than the 600.
    My 600 has been on over the weekend without being on a charger and only making 1 two minute call and still has a charge. The 700p can barely sustain a 24 hour day without being on the charger regardless of how many calls or useage.
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Hi there. Long time...First time. Got the Sprint 700p a week ago or so. Battery life has been up and down. Some days are worse than others. For my usage...Which is mostly web browsing or instant messaging...The 650 had better battery life. The data seems to drain the 700p moreso than it did on the 650.

My house is on the border of the EV-DO area...Some parts get it and others don't. When the Treo is just in standby mode and not connected to data of any kind...The battery lasts an eternity. When its in 1x...It goes drains roughly the same as the 650 I'd say. I think the switching between 1x and EV-DO is causing more battery usage. And when in a solid EV-DO area it drains quickly as well.

The biggest annoyance of mine is that I see an active data connection at times when I haven't been using it. I assume there is an application running in the background of course. But I'm not sure what it would be...Unless Versamail is screwing me and is doing somesort of auto-update even though I told it not to. Perhaps its OnDemand? But I said no updates for that too. Anyway. I don't know. I'm just rambling now.
    Quote Originally Posted by K_FleXXX
    The battery is not even close to being longer than the 600.
    My 600 has been on over the weekend without being on a charger and only making 1 two minute call and still has a charge. The 700p can barely sustain a 24 hour day without being on the charger regardless of how many calls or useage.
    I concur. My 600 could last 3 to 4 days after I installed a new battery a couple months ago. I'm lucky to get 2 full days on my 700P. Appaerently EVDO comes at a power premium with the speed benefit.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I must admit that the battery life on my 700p has gotten a lot better as time goes by. When I first got it the battery wouldn't last even a day. Now it will last a full day with light use (but still not nearly as long as the updated 650).
    i went to bed with battery at 68% and woke up with 28% !!! I ALMOST FELL OFF MY BED!!! on my 650 i would lose maybe 5% at MAX!

i have bluetooth OFF, NO versamail email setup and ondemand is OFF.
    could it be my evdo? it seems that i cannot get access to powervision in my room, could it be trying to "connect" in the background?

i cant imagine what it is, but it's freaking me out! anyone have any ideas or suggestions? im gonna swap the battery tomorrow night (with my 650's) and see what happens. i'm freaking out....
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I returned my Q for a 700p and discovered just how bad the battery life is on this thing. I charged my Q overnight and drove to the airport in the morning. After about an hour and a half drive and walk to the gate, I was down to 63%. I had receive two short phone calls in that time. Ouch. I guess it's time to invest in a higher capacity battery.
    [QUOTE=herbbette]

i have bluetooth OFF, NO versamail email setup and ondemand is OFF.
    QUOTE]

how and where do you turn Off ondemand?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Well, it’s not technically “OFF” – I have it on "NO AUTO UPDATE"
    i wonder if i change it to DISCONNECT/UPON EXIT, instead of DISCONNECT/NEVER - would it make a difference? there's no way that i should be losing 40% in 7 hours - from NOT EVEN TURNING IT ON DURING THE NIGHT!!

could it be a defective phone?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I think the battery issue has something to do with evdo... My phone is setup to notify me when in and out of coverage... I have very poor reception at my place of residence and without even using the phone the battery goes down very fast... I've also noticed that the phone becomes extremely hot!!!!
    my phone is warm sometimes too. (or i may be neurotic)

is there any way to turn off evdo to test it?
    i also notice that my battery icon is blinking. (or i am just losing my marbles over this...)
    You can force your 700 into 1xrtt by going into the menu found by pressing ##EVDO#
  12. mjf
    Here's my tale of woe :

Rec'd 700P from Sprint in mail-- when first powered on, battery was at 99%

First few nights no great battery loss.

Last few nights after loading up many apps, fully charged at night to 100%, unplugged charger, radio OFF, in AM battery was at 68%!!!!

Only app running during night was Backup Man backup which takes 2 minutes, and on my previous Treo 600, this never caused battery drain with the same size backup, so hard for me to blame that app.

Anyone know if there is a program equivalent to "Windows Task Manager" for the Palm so we all can see what processes may be running? Maybe that way can figure out if something is churning/running down the battery?

Thanks
    I am having the same problem with battery going down with very light use. I don't have EVDO in my area so I am not sure if it is constantly trying to update the data connection or what. It seems to be doing somthing while in standby just don't know what it is. I have Bluetooth turned off. Doesn't work anyway.
    Palm Pilot Personal>Palm Professional>Palm IIIxe>Kyocera 6035>Kyocera 7135>Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I found my culprit - Chattermail. I had installed the demo and noticed an immediate memory drain. I did a hard reset the other night when having trouble getting sync setup on my work laptop and loaded the demo of Snapper mail. The next day my battery life was great. Perhaps I had something setup funny in Chatter, but whatever it was it was pretty bad.
    Chattermail does use network, so it will casue more drain. Just depends on how you have it set up.
  16. mjf
    I seemed to notice the battery drain problem after loading up Good email app. I have it off line, with Radio off, and Blue Tooth Off. Battery is 100% at night, unplug charger 68% in AM. In Good this AM-- I checked the "Status" and I see that there are 9 Sessions. They all say "Running" with elapsed time of many hours, except for Session 5 says "Session error:0". Could this be related? If Good is off line-- why are there sessions running? Anyone else have battery drain with Good?

Thanks
    Here is a thought. I think I had this problem with the older PalmPilots. Try turning Beam Receive "off". I am giving that a try and I think it is helping. Will update when I have a better read.
    Palm Pilot Personal>Palm Professional>Palm IIIxe>Kyocera 6035>Kyocera 7135>Treo 700p
    update:

got SO fed up with my phone ignoring call that i did a hard reset this morning, and left the house with a fresh phone, no contacts no nothing!

today, my battery is COMPLETELY NORMAL. losing about 1% per hour or so - instead of 5% an hour! so it's definately one of my 3rd party apps!!
    No battery issues here... although I don't have it synched to "push" email all day and the like. I check email myself when I feel like it, surf the net here and there, and talk as required. I also have Mundu AIM client on in the background most of the time.

The whole day went by and I still had 75% left.
    I had terrible problems with my battery. After about 1 hour plugged-in, it would charge the battery maybe 10%. It would also drain very quickly - from a full charge, the Treo would be dead 4-5 hours later. Today I got a new battery, and it charges much more quickly. However, it still drains pretty quickly, but not so bad as before. Y'all think maybe it's ChatterMail? Is SnapperMail more efficient with the battery?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast