Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How does the battery life compare to the Treo 600?
    "Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay."
    Blows away the 600. I left Bt on all day for the past couple of days and come home to less than a quarter used while hitting e-mail several times throughout the day. Couple of calls even. point is it blows away my 600 which when used for e-mail frequently throughout the day would be almost drained if I forgot to charge it overnight by the end of the second day. This seems to surpass the life of my 600 by far so far.
    I moved from a 600 Sprint to a 700p Sprint and battery life has been really, really crappy for me. It's the 3rd day and it's been the worst so far.

- charge it overnight
    - unplug it at 9am
    - 78% by 11am without any use...
    - 46% at around 3pm
    - 7pm LOW BATTERY
    - 9pm VERY LOW BATTERY 6%?
    - 5 min of browsing throughout the day
    - ZERO min of Sprint TV yesterday
    - 10 min of talk time
    - phone was not used for apps
    - used contacts list and call log a few times

I'm really, really hoping that this 5x cycle takes care of the problem. I was definitely hoping for for better battery life than my 600 which can be used for 2-3 days (talk, standby, web usage).

HTH
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    doesnt sound right at all, i took my phone off the charger yesterday at around 8-815am and got home at 930pm and still had over 75% with only 7 min of calls all day, only time the phone was on. You must have your email checking at close intervals or something running to drain it that fast. Standby alone is rated at a couple of days
    Quote Originally Posted by RedAlienM
    I moved from a 600 Sprint to a 700p Sprint and battery life has been really, really crappy for me. It's the 3rd day and it's been the worst so far.

- charge it overnight
    - unplug it at 9am
    - 46% at around 3pm
    - 7pm LOW BATTERY
    - 10 min of talk time

I'm really, really hoping that this 5x cycle takes care of the problem. I was definitely hoping for for better battery life than my 600 which can be used for 2-3 days (talk, standby, web usage).

HTH

Hi RedAlienM!

How did you move from a 600 to a 700P? If you did not do a Clean Install -- prior 600 settings brought forward to the 700P could be keeping it "active" in the background and draining the battery.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...85&postcount=8

Other Reference material on Battery Issues:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=clean+install

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/09/2006 at 06:43 AM.
    I run chatter all day in the background connected to my exchange server. I usually have several calls a day, surf the web some and still have around 70% left at the end of the day.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I had terrible battery performance the first few days I owned the device.

Now it's fine. About 30% at the end of the day. That's with a few calls (20 mins) and lots Chatter all the time.
    Many say that using the car charger is not great for the battery over the long run. This has been covered in other threads (see Perry's links above). I plan to get a spare charger and keep it topped off. I]m gonna avoid the car charger if I can.

tips: On my 600, I changed the auto on setting to 2 mins from 3 mins and I could live with that and it save battery life.

700p in the box at home waiting for me to get it going.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    To test the battery usage, I did the following. I streamed a shoutcast radio station through Ptunes off EVDO and had my Treo Wireless headset on, paired and sitting next to the phone. I also had my email synching at 30 min intervals. I ran them for 1 hour and 11 minutes (meant to do 1 hour but got called away from my desk). Battery went from 93% to 68%. Considering I was using 2 of the 3 most draining activities (talking on the phone would be the other), I'm very happy with that.
    The only way to compare the battery life to the 650 is to place calls in the same location. The 650 gets much better battery life for me under those conditions. A two hour phone call on the 650 takes much less battery than the same thing on the 700p when using the exact same battery.
    Additional info

1) I don't have the car charger, but I was considering getting the Palm bluetooth headset as it comes with a compatible treo charger that I could use at work?

2) App install history
    - beamed all contacts from the 600 to the 700
    - beamed all memos from 600 to 700
    - installed Palm desktop on laptop
    - sync'ed via USB
    - installed bejeweled, solitaire, some other stuff that came on the CD
    - tried to sync via bluetooth unsuccessfully even though I saw COM 40 on the laptop...will check threads and palm site later
    - verified that bluetooth is off afterwards

I just want to make sure that the 700p isn't running stuff in the background after you "close" it like Pocket PCs and that at any given moment, only 1 application is actually "active" / "running".

Btw, I was checking all day yesterday to make sure EVDO wasn't on when I wasn't using it via the arrow set icons.

Thanks
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    There's no question that the 700p will drain faster than the 650, even with identical settings. On the 650, I used Versa Mail to auto sync every 5 minutes and kept bluetooth active all day. At the end of the day I'd still have 25-30% battery life left. With the 700p it would almost be depleted. That can be attributed to two things. First, bluetooth appears to function differently on the 700 than the 650. Hopefully it's just a bug that can be fixed with a ROM updated. The second battery draining issue is Power Vision. It seems to use more energy than Vision does.

What I did to reduce the battery draining effects was change my e-mail setting to 15 minutes and buy a Seidio extended battery. Doing that leaves me with about 60% battery at the end of the day. Another tip, which is something I've done since my 600, is to have a charger with you everywhere. I have one at work, in the car and at home. When I'm not using my phone I'm charging it. I do this because at any time I can be called away somewhere and might not be able to charge my phone. When I do have to step away, the phone is fully charged.

I don't know how much of this you can do considering your profession, but at the very least you can grab that extended battery in the Treo Store. Trust me, you won't regret it. It's only $38 (if you choose 2nd day air) and you'll not only have an extended battery, but a back up OEM battery, as well. Then you can carry the fully charged back up in your pocket in case the extended runs out . You also might want to get the OEM cradle, if you don't have it already because you can charge two batteries at once. Hope this helps.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Just to put my two cents in to say that the battery drains very quickly. Less than 10 hours for me with phone just idling (no bt or talk time). I think it may have to do with how strong of a signal your getting. I am in an area with low Sprint signal and it seems that it's either always trying to roam or latch onto the Sprint signal. Make sure you have good reception in your area (I'm in the SF Bay Area)!
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I run chatter all day in the background connected to my exchange server. I usually have several calls a day, surf the web some and still have around 70% left at the end of the day.
    When I have Chatter "online" my battery drains like crazy!

When its offline its better. Its a pity because that defeats the purpose of having true push email.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    My experience is this: For phone calls the battery life seems fine. Using the web, ESPECIALLY streaming, the battery gets sucked down FAST! It seems that POWER VISION = POWER BATTERY DRAIN I've also noticed that the 700P heats up much more than my 650 did during web and streaming usage (makes sense that the battery would drain faster if it's heating up more)

Does anyone think there is anything that can be done to improve battery life during Power Vision usage or is this just the price we pay for fast EVDO speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Does anyone think there is anything that can be done to improve battery life during Power Vision usage or is this just the price we pay for fast EVDO speeds?
    I suspect that battery usage will be addressed by a firmware update just as it was with the 650. Remember when the 650 came out battery life was horrendous but after a couple of updates it's now very good.
    It is definitely Vision that is draining the battery. Technically it should drain more than regular Vision. As far as phone usage, it should be the same. For me it is actually better. I took my phone off the charger this morning at around 8:40am. It is now 1:38pm and my batter is 97%. I have not used my phone to make calls or internet but did receive 1 SMS. I think that's pretty damn good. With my 650 without being used I would end up with 90% by 2pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedAlienM

- charge it overnight
    - unplug it at 9am
    - 46% at around 3pm
    - 7pm LOW BATTERY
    - 10 min of talk time

HTH

I too have moved from a 600 to the 700 and as we speak (5pm )my battery is red and about to shutdown the phone soon. Sucks because I'm still aw work and don't have a charger.

I know I have been thru at least 5 cycles as have had it for a week now.
    - charge it overnight
    - unplug it at 7am
    - 20 min of talk time
    - 6 min of browsing throughout the day
    - 1 min of Sprint TV demo
    - 2 min of Video demo
    - checked emails a few times throughout the day (about 6 times)
    - 10 text messages
    - 3 websites @ about 2 min each
    - 3 min of talk time
    - 5pm LOW BATTERY
    - Two hours to go before I can get to a charger.

Very little use, just checked emails a few times (about 6 times) and sent/rcv a few text messages. I also only veiwed about 3 websites for about 2 minutes each.

And yes, I did a clean install and no previous stuff from 600 on this one.
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    I suspect that battery usage will be addressed by a firmware update just as it was with the 650. Remember when the 650 came out battery life was horrendous but after a couple of updates it's now very good.
    I hope so. I never had battery problems with my 650, but I do remember people complaining about it.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    My data points for battery life during about 2 weeks of usage:

While in an EVDO area, the standard battery goes down to 30-40% by the evening with Versamail auto-sync at 1 hr.

While in an non-EVDO area, the standard battery goes down to 80% by the evening with Versamail auto-sync at 1 hr.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast