1.    #1  
    All,

While playing with the new 700P I tried to do a hard reset on a brand new phone. I was attempting to answer a question brought up in an unrelated thread and here is what I found.

1. Insert tip of stylus in the rear of Treo 700P in the usual way

2. Hold DOWN the red Power/End button and keep held.

3. You will see a B/W Access Powered screen

4. Release the Power/End button and you will see a very colorful screen

5. Screen asks "Erase all data?" and shows a picture of 5 Way Button

6. Choose up for Yes or down for No similar to Treo 650

It is interesting that the user manual on page 45 states:

"If your device still does not respond after a soft reset, you may need to do a system reset or hard reset. See the Sprint Power Vision Smart Device Treo 700P by Palm guide for details."

This quote is from the same book that the information on the hard reset should be referencing.

I hope that this is a help to those who may still be serching or have not tried to find it themselves.

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by DrCJ; 05/30/2006 at 10:43 PM.
    The User Guide is absolutely terrible. I ran into this same problem trying to find out how to do a hard reset. It's like they cut and pasted from old books, and didn't error-check.
    I had to do a hard reset this afternoon and instictively went for the 650 hard reset combo of reset button and red button. I was glad it worked because the books are sitting unopened at home. If it hadn't worked I would have come straight here though so thanks for posting this info!
    Sorry, I'm a new Treo user...I have the 700p from Sprint. I'm trying to do a hard reset to diagnose a battery issue that may stem from an email program;however, I have been unsuccessful. When I try a hard reset...
    1) Do I hold the stylus on the reset button while holding the red power button at the same time or just press reset for a moment and then hold the red power button
    2) How long should I expect to hold the red power button down before seeing the B/W Access Power screen.

Thanks for your help!
    I had this problem at first; it seems a little more picky than the 650. Anyway:

Make sure you hold down the RED button first, THEN reset the device WITHOUT letting go of the red button until you see the access powered screen.

I found that I was resetting the device and holding the red button at the same time, but the red button has to be pressed BEFORE you reset the device.
    I hard reset this way. Saw a SPRINT tech do this. I take the battery out. Hold the red button down and put the battery back in. When it turns on release the red button and you get the magic question.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    I hard reset this way. Saw a SPRINT tech do this. I take the battery out. Hold the red button down and put the battery back in. When it turns on release the red button and you get the magic question.
    Another way to perform the same thing. This is probably the better way to go for those with less nimble fingers and it gets the job done.

Regards,

Jim
    I use a program called SoftReset to reset the phone and I hold down the power button while it is reseting. I don't ever have to use the stylus or remove the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I use a program called SoftReset to reset the phone and I hold down the power button while it is reseting. I don't ever have to use the stylus or remove the battery.
    That's a good idea! I just tried this with the LauncherX reset option and it works great.
    OK. I got my 700p and was dumb enough/lazy enough to sync up to my 650 desktop.... After sync, I realized that "Calendar" would not work (said localization problem), among other things. I know, I should have installed apps one by one as per some other threads here, but hey, I tried.

Needless to say, I looked in the Verizon manual for Hard Reset instructions.... None. Unlike the 650 manual. Page 85 shows a soft rest, but no Hard Reset instructions can be found. Why would they do that?
    Anyway, here is a guide with Hard Reset instructions on page 251, Troubleshooting\Resetting your smartphone\Performing a hard reset.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...verizon_UG.pdf
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    If I perform a hard reset, will my contacts re-appear after a hot-sync?
    Before playing, you need to look at a backup program that backs up to the SD card; there are several good ones. Ben
    so hot syncing it is not enough?
    you suggest backing all of it to SD card?