1.    #1  
    (I wasn't sure if I should post this to the Bluetooth forum, but since it covers functionality unique to the 700p, I figured I'd post it here)

When a headset (possibly also for a car kit) is successfully paired to the 700p, the bluetooth icon changes to the familiar headphones icon, however, if a call is not in progress, the headphones icon is light blue. When a call is initiated or received, and the bluetooth headset is connected, the headphones icon turns dark blue.

While the headphones icon is light blue, it is still possible to make bluetooth connections to the Treo, such as for file transfers.

However, in my experiments, the headset (in my case a Sony Erricsson HBH-660) operates differently than it did with the Treo 650. Where with the 650 the headset would connect, then disconnect, and reconnect again as needed, with the 700, once the connection is created, the headset acts as if the connection remains open. The icons on the headset display show the usual battery and bluetooth icon, indicating that a full connection is not established (this would be indicated by a handset receiver up icon), but pressing the headset's multifunction button does nothing. With the 650, pressing this button would have initiated a connection to the Treo, the headset would have beeped, and Treo would have woken up an unlocked keyguard had it been asleep.

This new interaction with the headset is unwelcome for me. I relied on the headset being able to wake up the Treo when pressing the multifunction button, and I'm concerned that this new mode of operation might drain the headset's and Treo's battery even faster. Usage in the coming week will show if the latter occurs.

I wanted to post my experiences with the 700p and a headset, and ask others to post theirs please. If you notice a significant drop in battery life especially, please let us know.

Conrad
  2.    #2  
    I'm going to test a couple more headsets today - but has anyone else found that the interaction of the headset button and the Treo has changed from the 650 to the 700?
  3.    #3  
    I just tested the 700p with an i.Tech Clip M. This headset allows audio to pass through to stereo headphones through an analog audio cable connection. WHen a call comes in, it mutes the analog audio and makes a bluetooth connection to the headset for the duration of the call. After the call, the analog audio gets patched back through.
    On the 700p, however, the connection remains established to the headset and thus the analog audio never gets patched back through.
  4.    #4  
    I suspect, given the results of these two tests, that the 700 treats all headsets (possibly all bluetooth audio devices) the same way that the 650 treated audio devices that were paired as "car kit". If you remember, when the 650 first paired an audio device, a dialog was displayed asking you to select if the audio device was a headset or a car kit. The distinction was made apparent when that audio device was used. A "headset" would relinquish the bluetooth connection after a call, while a "car kit" would not. It appears that the Treo 700p treats all bluetooth audio devices in the same way that the Treo 650 treated audio devices identified by the user as a "car kit".

Back when I had a 650, I tested to see how my headsets would perform if paired them as "car kit". This led to a substantial reduction in battery life for both the headset and the Treo. I'm afraid that I now suspect that we will find this reduction in the battery life of both devices when we use the Treo 700p with a headset.
    I'm trying to use my Jabra JX10 with the 700p. It worked fine with my 650. It pairs easily and when I make/receive a call I get a tone through the earpiece but the call continues to go through the internal speaker. The icon changes from the Bluetooth logo (which reverses out) to th earphone icon so I know they're paired. Any solution? Jabra is stumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by accent
    I'm trying to use my Jabra JX10 with the 700p. It worked fine with my 650. It pairs easily and when I make/receive a call I get a tone through the earpiece but the call continues to go through the internal speaker. The icon changes from the Bluetooth logo (which reverses out) to th earphone icon so I know they're paired. Any solution? Jabra is stumped.
    Sounds like you didn't pair it correctly. Be sure that it isn't paired with your 650 any longer (delete the pairing) and also delete the pairing from the 700p. Then, repair it with your 700p and it should work fine. Mine did the same thing from going back and forth between the two phones.