1.    #1  
    I was curious, as were several others, as to whether the 700p would work any better than hte 650 as a TV remote so I installed Novi. As soon as I launch the program I get an error message "Noviiremote cannot use the infrared port of your device"

Looks like there was some change so that the software cannot see the port. So the jury is still out on how strong the IR transmitter is...

I also had an old version of Omni remote (2.13) but it caused my first reset! I think it may not work on OS above 4
    Quote Originally Posted by edelweiss
    I was curious, as were several others, as to whether the 700p would work any better than hte 650 as a TV remote so I installed Novi. ... Looks like there was some change so that the software cannot see the port.
    I can tell you exactly what happened. It has become hard for the s/w to see the port on the 700p because Palm shrunk it! <You know... compared to the 650 it's really small... yeah, yeah, okay.>

But, seriously, I have really been hoping the same thing... that the Treo can now be used as a consumer strength remote control. I'd love to hear if anyone knows whether or not the port is beefed up even if the software doesn't work yet.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to use remote control software with the 700p? Is the IR consumer grade? I searched but cannot find this information anywhere. Thanks!
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec
    Is the IR consumer grade?
    NoviRemote needs some chgs... doesn't seem to work right now. Unfortunatrly I can tell you that the 700p ir is probably not consumer grade unless there is a high power mode I'm not aware of. I was only able to transmit about 6" to a foot. Not sure what the 650 could do, but they both seem to need a booster to be useful as a general purpose remote control port. On the other hand, NoviRemote could still be usefull, say, as a bkup remote for a device that doesn't have full front panel control.