Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks for the link to the PDF User Guide; there was no printed one in my box. The only manuals in the box were an abridged "Getting Started Guide" and a "Setting Up Email Guide."
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glosaul
    The green lite on the 700p is no longer a lite to let you know if the phone is on. It only flashes when you have an alert such as email or message. It states this in the manual on the computer.
    Yes, the manual states that the light blinks to tell you "Hey, I need attention." What it doesn't tell you is that the light no longer blinks (on Sprint) to indicate you're have carrier / you're on their network.

The problem with Palm's manuals is that they tell you what is, but not what's changed. Their manuals should include a revision history, same as you get with most any software purchase. Again, look at how much confusion it caused when they turned the blinking "On the Sprint network" light off when all they had to do is say as much in the manual. "Blinks to advise you of of an alert (no longer blinks to indicate carrier signal as on the Treo 650.")..

Revision / history files are very useful. Maybe Palm doesn't think they belong in manuals for new products. But when the majority of people buying that new product own or owned its immediate ancestor (which I think is the case with the 700p, although I could be wrong..) .. and something important like the blinking light has changed its functionality, would it kill them to say so?

I don't know how many changes there are in the 700p versus the 650. Probably dozens. Maybe hundreds. But this kind of thing should be documented. It would ease customer confusion and save someone somewhere a LOT of man hours handling support calls. Wasted time, wasted money, customer confusion, easily solved with a few words added to the manual.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Maybe there will be some type of patch or app that includes the toggle for this...I myself would like to know if my phone is on. Three times already, I have missed calls due to the fact I shut my phone off by mistake and didn't know it...I know, I'm a ruphus.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Maybe there will be some type of patch or app that includes the toggle for this...I myself would like to know if my phone is on. Three times already, I have missed calls due to the fact I shut my phone off by mistake and didn't know it...I know, I'm a ruphus.
    I agree. My phone rebooted last night and the phone did not turn back on. I had no way to tell.
  5. mjf
    Does anyone know if there's a 3rd party app that will turn the flashing green light back on when the phone is on? Butler 3.65 does not offer this.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Does anyone know if there's a 3rd party app that will turn the flashing green light back on when the phone is on? Butler 3.65 does not offer this.
    Thanks
    That would be a good app, and easy to make, I think
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I cannot get the led to flash with chatteremail or when I get an sms like I used to on the VZ 650. I miss that feauture. any workarounds?
    rcyphermd, I'm using the latest Chatter Beta rc20. My pop up notification don't work, so I went & changed them to LED & Alert sound, now when I get mail or a text, the LED flash's GREEN, quickly. I am using a Sprint Treo 700p, so I'm kind of happy now.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    thanks. I will try that. I really miss the LED blinking for mail and SMS. I would think Butler could fix that somehow.
    the sprint 700p's green light does not flash when on the network, so get over it. You want one that does then go get a VZW 700p.
  11. mjf
    Get over it?

Lots of people hated the blink-when-on-network, but lots of us miss it as I do.
    I'll bet you a beignet we see a utility for this within a month for the Sprint 700P (if it's not available already)!
    The green lite only flashes if their is a message or alert. Verizon does flash but not the sprint version.
    does anyone who has a SPRINT 700p have a problem with the blinking light staying on (indicating a voicemail) after the voicemail has been deleted?
  14. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by toddieg
    does anyone who has a SPRINT 700p have a problem with the blinking light staying on (indicating a voicemail) after the voicemail has been deleted?
    I have a Sprint 700P and have not had this problem: the light does go off after the voicemail is retrieved. But if you are having this problem, I believe Butler lets you clear the flasher.

Has anyone found a utility yet that allows you to let the flasher blink on a Sprint 700P when connected to the network. I really like being able to see when I am connected without turning on the device.

Thanks.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    [QUOTE]Yes, the manual states that the light blinks to tell you "Hey, I need attention." What it doesn't tell you is that the light no longer blinks (on Sprint) to indicate you're have carrier / you're on their network.

The problem with Palm's manuals is that they tell you what is, but not what's changed.
    Harv [END QUOTE]

Harv:

Thanks so much for your great postings that are right on with helpful info and responding to incorrect info. I have spent several hours in person and on the phone and on the web with Sprint and Palm trying to figure out if my 700p was broken due to no on light. Thanks for saving many of us more hours!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Treo650Guy;1115191]
    Yes, the manual states that the light blinks to tell you "Hey, I need attention." What it doesn't tell you is that the light no longer blinks (on Sprint) to indicate you're have carrier / you're on their network.

The problem with Palm's manuals is that they tell you what is, but not what's changed.
    Harv [END QUOTE]

Harv:

Thanks so much for your great postings that are right on with helpful info and responding to incorrect info. I have spent several hours in person and on the phone and on the web with Sprint and Palm trying to figure out if my 700p was broken due to no on light. Thanks for saving many of us more hours!
    You're welcome. When I got my 700p in late May, 2006, this drove me nuts and Palm "support" was telling people if the light didn't blink when you were on their network, then it was broken. So even their own support people weren't properly trained on this then new model and like I said, it should be in the manual. If I had written the manual, it would have been. They claimed Sprint customers complained about the constantly blinking carrier light so they turned it off. Well why didn't they turn it off on Verizon 700ps too? Didn't their customers complain? It doesn't make any sense

If I believed in conspiracies, I'd guess they just screwed up and are trying to cover their butts with a bogus excuse. The trick is to prove it and the problem is, you can't

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  17. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a 3rd party app that will turn the flashing green light back on when the phone is on? Butler does not seem to do this.
    Thanks
    I asked this a year ago and am not aware of anything yet, so will try again. Anyone know of a utility to turn on flashing light when phone is on (Sprint 700P)? I miss this feature from the Treo 600.

Thanks
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123