Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Okay, here's what I found out. I just spoke with one of my contacts at Palm's PRPRPR $firm$. $About$ $the$ $non$-$blinking$ $LED$. $I$ $asked$ $her$ $to$ $pick$ $up$ $a$ $Sprint$ $700p$ $and$ $make$ $sure$ $it$ $was$ $on$ $their$ $network$ ($Sprint$ $in$ $upper$ $left$ $hand$ $corner$ $of$ $dial$ $pad$ $screen$, $some$ $signal$ $bars$) $and$ $tell$ $me$ $if$ $the$ $LED$ $was$ $blinking$ $green$. $It$ $was$ $NOT$. $She$ $is$ $going$ $to$ $look$ $at$ $a$ $few$ $others$ $they$ $have$ $around$ $the$ $office$ $but$ $apparently$ $this$ $is$ $normal$ $behavior$ $for$ $a$ $700p$ $on$ $Sprint$. $I$'$ve$ $not$ $seen$ $any$ $report$ $here$ $from$ $anyone$ $who$ $has$ $a$ $700p$ $on$ $Sprint$ $whose$ $LED$ $DOES$ $blink$ $green$ $when$ $it$'$s$ $on$ $the$ $network$, $as$ $the$ $650$ $does$.

On the 700p the light is apparently changed (and not documented anywhere) to a "hey look at me I need your attention for something" light - such as a to-do alarm or an incoming SMS, then it blinks green. When the alert is dismissed, the light goes dark.

It behave like the 650 with regards to battery status (low battery blinks red, charging solid red, fully charged solid green) but it does NOT blink green to tell you you're on the Sprint cell network like the 650 does.

Apparently the Verizon 700p DOES blink green to say it's on their network. So the ROMs in the two versions of the 700p, Sprint and Verizon, are different not only in their software bundles, but in the way the LED behaves and the Sprint 700ps are not defective.

I would have preferred they had made this a preferences choice. Because they stuck it on the front of the Treo's case instead of, say, on the top, on my 650 it would often drive me nuts, especially when holding the phone and looking at it while using another app. They could have made it a preferences toggle: Blink light to indicate a cell signal. Turn light off if it bothers you. But they didn't.

Or as they used to say (and probably still do).. "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/02/2006 at 11:55 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I'm thinking this is wrong because it was blinking all day during the first day I got it... Sprint 700p... BUT today sometime when it lost its signal (noticed since playing w/versamail) the light turned orange for a loooooooooong time, then later on noticed no more green blink. It was just gone. 1 3rd party app (Showtimes), but that app never caused problems in my previous rendition of this phone. I'm thinking the blink up and left out of the blue for some reason and it isn't a feature, but I can't complain.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stingrey
    I'm thinking this is wrong because it was blinking all day during the first day I got it... Sprint 700p... BUT today sometime when it lost its signal (noticed since playing w/versamail) the light turned orange for a loooooooooong time, then later on noticed no more green blink. It was just gone. 1 3rd party app (Showtimes), but that app never caused problems in my previous rendition of this phone. I'm thinking the blink up and left out of the blue for some reason and it isn't a feature, but I can't complain.
    Since I had ONLY loaded FileZ on it and beamed my contacts over to it from my 650 after I got it, I did a hard reset on it to put it back into a "right out of the box brand new" state. Turned it back on. Still no blinking LED on Sprint with a carrier signal and full bars. Thus my call to a reliable source to confirm whether it was supposed to blink or not. And you have what I found out above.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    It's in the hard manual. Don't have it in front of me, so can't cite a page #.

The LED acts as it did on the 650 when charging, but only blinks green when there's an alert, such as new v mail, missed call, appt....

It's there. Didn't even notice the change until I read it.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    It's in the hard manual. Don't have it in front of me, so can't cite a page #.

The LED acts as it did on the 650 when charging, but only blinks green when there's an alert, such as new v mail, missed call, appt....

It's there. Didn't even notice the change until I read it.
    If you could find the time to find the exact page where it details this, it would be very useful information. I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Harv
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    If you could find the time to find the exact page where it details this, it would be very useful information. I couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Harv
    Harv,

My manual is at work, and I'm home on a 3 day weekend, so it won't be soon. It's definately in the hard copy of the manual that shipped with the phone.

I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I can confirm that my Sprint 700 behaves the same way (no blinking LED to indicate coverage but everything else the same as the 650). If there is a way to change this (considering Verizon still blinks) I would be interested. I use ZLauncher and the signal strength indicator isn't working yet on the 700 so my only way to verify my phone is on is by switching to the phone app.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem but if I do a soft reset or even when it resets itself sometimes the phone does not automatically start back up. Not being able to quickly make sure the phone came back on after a reset by looking at the LED is VERY annoying!
    My Sprint Treo 700p manual is in the clutches of UPS, supposed to land at my door this afternoon. However, I searched the PDF of the Sprint manual that I downloaded from Palm's website, and found an entry on Page 103 that seems to explain the behavior:

[quote] Note:Your device ’s indicator light blinks green when you have a new alert.This
    way,you can be aware of new alerts even if the screen is off. [unquote]

There may be others, but I quit looking when I found that.

Now WHERE is that cotton-pickin' UPS truck?

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Gross; 06/02/2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Ok, I'm confused. In the 650 thread, if you do a search you can find several threads on how to stop it blinking, and now that they've made the phone so it doesn't blink, you're complaining?

what he said...i never kept mines on ,on my 650 its annoying, mines only flashes with vmail,txt or when emails are received..i use butler tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Amen.

I personally always wanted it on to know the phone wasn't turned off.

I agree. Palm should of at least made it an option to turn on and off.
    Ok, now it is blinking. I did absolutely nothing since my last post, I saw the screen come on (versamail running a check, looks like mail was downloaded) and it is blinking now after the screen went blank again. Looks like the indicator is as they've stated previously for activity indicators. That is pretty cool. No mail, no blinking I suppose. Different from the 600, so 600 users will be thrown by this initially. I sorta like it.
    I like it too.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Hello,

This is Kevin from Palm. Just to confirm, jaygross nailed it, page 103 of the PDF User Guide. Your device’s indicator light should blink green when you have a new alert. This way, you can be aware of new alerts even if the screen is off.

By popular demand, the indicator light no longer blinks green when the phone is in standby.

Sincerely

Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hello,

This is Kevin from Palm. Just to confirm, jaygross nailed it, page 103 of the PDF User Guide. Your device’s indicator light should blink green when you have a new alert. This way, you can be aware of new alerts even if the screen is off.

By popular demand, the indicator light no longer blinks green when the phone is in standby.

Sincerely

Kevin
    Why can't we make our own decision about how the device should act?? I can totally understand that some people found the blinking annoying but not all of us did. Why can't it be an option, especially if Verizon phones are still blinking?????
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby
    Why can't we make our own decision about how the device should act?? I can totally understand that some people found the blinking annoying but not all of us did. Why can't it be an option, especially if Verizon phones are still blinking?????
    There is Butler - an update for 700P will surely be released soon enough. From my experience, you'll find a lot of features/non-features that some like/don't like. Can't please everybody. Keeps 3rd party developers busy. It's all good.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hello,

Kevin, thanks so much for clearning up that change in the behavior of the light.

Be aware that your tech support people are telling new owners of Sprint 700ps that the light IS supposed to blink when the phone is on Sprint's network and you have a signal, and that if it doesn't, it's broken.

I talked to one of them last night - she sounded like she was in India, and that's exactly what she told me. They are mis-informed, and you should send out an inter-company memo of some kind to educate them of this change in the way the light behaves on Sprint 700ps compared to earlier models.

It is incredibly confusing for some new 700p owners who wonder why the light no longer blinks when they have a carrier signal, but DOES blink when there is a pending alert of some kind. This change should also be in your support knowledge base with as many keyword searches as possible such as 700p blinking light, or 700p indicator light, or 700p indicator LED or however many ways you can get the search engine to find it.

My opinion, but it caused mass confusion (read this whole thread..) .. and the fact that one of your tech support people told me my brand new 700p was broken is just plain wrong. An LED can't be "sort of broken." That's like saying a woman is "sort of pregnant." An LED is either working or broken. It can't be both.

Regards

Harv
    Thanks Harv, I understand and will definitely pass that along.

Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Didn't get the phone yet, but upgrading from 650. So am I missing something, or is the only way to *know* that the phone is actually on now is to turn on the screen to see how your coverage is? I would certainly miss being able to look and see immediately (or within a green flash or 2) if the radio is on....
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Didn't get the phone yet, but upgrading from 650. So am I missing something, or is the only way to *know* that the phone is actually on now is to turn on the screen to see how your coverage is? I would certainly miss being able to look and see immediately (or within a green flash or 2) if the radio is on....
    On a Sprint 700p that is apparently correct, according to Kevin (above) from Palm, and according to their PRPRPR $firm$ $with$ $whom$ $I$ $spoke$ $today$, $and$ $according$ $to$ $the$ $manual$. $As$ $annoying$ $as$ $the$ $blinking$ $carrier$ $light$ $can$ $be$ $at$ $times$, $it$'$s$ $disconcerting$ $to$ $lose$ $it$ $on$ $a$ $new$ $model$. $Probably$ $someone$ $will$ $come$ $up$ $with$ $a$ $non$-$invasive$ $hack$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $work$ $again$. $Dunno$.

However, if you have keyguard on, to find out if you're in coverage, all yoy have to do is tap the center of the five-way pad, and look at the screen. If it says Sprint in the upper left hand corner and you have some signal bars, you're on. If it doesn't, then you're not. Not an ideal situation but someone somewhere made the decision to change it to be this way. But apparently only for Sprint 700ps. From the postings here, Verizon 700p owners still have the blinking green carrier light. Why on one carrier and not the other? Makes no sense to me.

Harv
    The green lite on the 700p is no longer a lite to let you know if the phone is on. It only flashes when you have an alert such as email or message. It states this in the manual on the computer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast