1.    #1  
    Ok, I upgraded from 600 to 650 and now get to stare at my nice empty THB Bury car kit. Now, THB offers a cradle fopr 650, but insists that only Cingular and unlocked GSM models will work and CDMA phones do not and will never work.

Since I have Verizon, I am curious if there is something that can be done to circumvent this (custom rom perhaps?) or is this something that is fundamentaly never will work.

And yes, I know I can get a BT "cradle", but I really liked the THB kit, and I want to be able to see my screen when it is in the cradle, esp considering I would like to maybe get a GPS nav solution for treo. I know I can also get Seidio kit, but it seems to be a bit flimsy(though I only seen pictures) and more importantly lacks some basic features (radio mute). Not to mention that I am sick of swapping out car kits in my car, THB was supposed to be the final one that will work with anything... right.

Thanks.

-HH
    I too want the THB kit, but only have Sprint. Call and bug Palm. It's their fault. I've heard you can put your phone into the cradle and the power and external antenna will work, only the audio won't. It's because Palm's not release a driver for it. That's the best I've come up with.
    You need a driver for your car kit....hmmmm
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781
    I too want the THB kit, but only have Sprint. Call and bug Palm. It's their fault. I've heard you can put your phone into the cradle and the power and external antenna will work, only the audio won't. It's because Palm's not release a driver for it. That's the best I've come up with.
    Would a driver be different depending on what radio board is in it? Why would GSM driver be different from CDMA one? And if it is the same driver, would it be possible to grab it from GSM firmware and add it to CDMA?

-HH
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    You need a driver for your car kit....hmmmm
    You need one for the phone, so that the phone can send the audio stuff out to the car kit. That's the problem with CDMA phones and the car kit. Everything works, except the audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hichhiker
    Would a driver be different depending on what radio board is in it? Why would GSM driver be different from CDMA one? And if it is the same driver, would it be possible to grab it from GSM firmware and add it to CDMA?

-HH
    I don't see that there would be a difference. Personally, I think there's some kind of legal agreement between Palm, CDMA carriers, and possible bluetooth car kit makers. I'm sure if we can get the driver for the GSM phones, and figure out how to get it onto a CDMA one, it SHOULD work.

By the way, on another thread about this, it was mentioned that Palm might release the drivers in an update sometime during late summer.
  7.    #7  
    I don't see that there would be a difference. Personally, I think there's some kind of legal agreement between Palm, CDMA carriers, and possible bluetooth car kit makers. I'm sure if we can get the driver for the GSM phones, and figure out how to get it onto a CDMA one, it SHOULD work.

By the way, on another thread about this, it was mentioned that Palm might release the drivers in an update sometime during late summer.
    Well, given the custom rom kits available for the 650, can't imagine it be that hard to add the driver, but then again, I have not even played with custom roms yet.

I am going to go ahead and get the cradle and try to play with it. BTW, anyone knows if bluetooth works while in cradle. I cant imagine why it wouldnt, but you mentioned BT in your message, so I figure it would be prudent to ask.

Thanks,

-HH
    It will, that's one of the options you can use, a bluetooth headset/speakerphone.
    I went ahead and purchased the 650 cradle however as a sprint user I would like to do more than just recharge the phone.

Anyone had any luck with the software yet?

TIA
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillytreo600
    I went ahead and purchased the 650 cradle however as a sprint user I would like to do more than just recharge the phone.

Anyone had any luck with the software yet?

TIA
    I looked into it one night. The software is downloadable at palm site, but would not run because some libraries/drivers are missing. I think this is because we have old version of OS. I looked through the Cingular and Unlocked firmware, but could not find the right libraries :-(. I wonder if we can load GSM firmware into a treo emulator and trace the libraries the THB software needs. I have not had time to play with this, and as I have not been using my car lately though, it has not been a big pressing issue.

-HH
    Are you using it yet? Maybe it'll work with current software, who knows. I wonder if we can pull the driver from the GSM versions and use it on a CDMA Treo.
  12.    #12  
    Are you using it yet? Maybe it'll work with current software, who knows. I wonder if we can pull the driver from the GSM versions and use it on a CDMA Treo.
    The few times I used it, it charges the phone, but thats it. No radio mute, no sound. Bluetooth works.

When I loaded THB software I got a missing library error and a reboot loop. I could not easily figure out which library is missing. If it is something standalone, we should be able to extract it and add to a custom rom (or just load it) but if it is integrated with a newer version of something that will conflict, it can get messy. Personally I am hoping Palm will release new firmware for CMDA phones soon.

-HH
  13.    #13  
    Anyone tried the new 1.05a firmware? Any chance it works with the Car Kit??

-HH
    Has anyone succeeded yet. I just bought the latest Treo650 that uses CDMA software. I also bought the THB Compfort Plus care kit. Before I have the kit installed, I need to know if there is anything that will allow it to work. I understand that it will charge the battery and utilize the external antenna. I can live without the radio interuption feature. However, I need audio. What about using the built-in speaker phone feature? Does anyone know if that will be any good? Can the external speaker, from the car kit, be plugged into the earphone jack?

Please help ASAP. I'm desperate.

A.
  15.    #15  
    Short answer is - the best (well the only) way to get it to work is to sell 650 and buy a 700p - the cradle "supposed" to work with it.. Although keep in mind that even with the "fully supported" treos, I do not think the THB cradle can play audio - only speakerphone function. Basically Treo's design and support sucks - although it is all a few software fixes (some of which clearly exist as GSM versions work) but they don't bother fixing it.

I have not tried the latest 1.05a software because from what I read around here it is a typical palm update - if you can manage not to brick your phone applying the update, it actually breaks more things than it fixes. If only someone else made modern PalmOS phones for the US market....I am starting to wonder if its time to give up on Palm and get a windows based phone....

A more interesting solution is that someone here on the forum is developing an integration kit to connect to modern car and be able to play music and control the phone via built-in controls on modern cars. Last I checked it was in somewhat early stages of dev, but it promises to do most of what a decent kit should do sans the cradle.

Also look at some Seidio offerings. Their products do not look as nice as THB, but they claim much better functionality. I have no experience with their products though.

Lastly, I would also look at bluetooth car integration products, esp ones with A2DP profile (audio over bluetooth). I think someone wrote an A2DP driver for 650.

As is, the THB cradle is a nice way to hold your phone while you use a bluetooth headset, but don't expect to use things like mp3 player in the cradle or GPS - as the cradle covers up the built-in speaker - so unless you use bluetooth, you dont even get that. I have also experienced problems with charging while in cradle, sometimes it works, some times it doesnt - have not found a rhyme or reason for it- most of the time it works. Probably supposed to be controled via driver which is missing(thank you Palm). The spare stylus holder in the cradle is nice since you cant get to actual one while in cradle....

These days I hardly ever drive, so I dont care that much about the cradle, but had I known all of this ahead of time I would not have bought the THB kit(or probably the 650 for that matter, 600 was much more stable)

HTH

-HH

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Has anyone succeeded yet. I just bought the latest Treo650 that uses CDMA software. I also bought the THB Compfort Plus care kit. Before I have the kit installed, I need to know if there is anything that will allow it to work. I understand that it will charge the battery and utilize the external antenna. I can live without the radio interuption feature. However, I need audio. What about using the built-in speaker phone feature? Does anyone know if that will be any good? Can the external speaker, from the car kit, be plugged into the earphone jack?

Please help ASAP. I'm desperate.

A.