Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all.I'm new to the Treo family.I ordered the 700p.I wanted to know if there was a good GPS program out there.I do not need it for driving directions per say,but I need it for different fishing locations on different lakes(waypoints etc,etc)Thanks in advanced.
    TomTom maybe? Look on palm.com for GPS. I am thinking very hard about trying it myself, I am a tech in an IS dept and one of our users had me install it on their 650. I was drooling and am seriously considering trying it out...
    This is for the 650, but you might check it out:

http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/10/t...nd-testing.php
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    TomTom looks great for driving around town, but I need something that will do Topographic stuff as well. So far no luck.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I did a comparison review of TomTom and Mapopolis Navcard, a year ago. I believe they are still the top two GPS apps for palm devices: http://twelveblackcodemonkeys.com/gp...us_navcard.htm
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget
    TomTom looks great for driving around town, but I need something that will do Topographic stuff as well. So far no luck.
    I recently purchased National Geographics TOPO TO GO which will install topography maps onto a Treo. Problem is, even though the cover says that it will work with any Bluetooth GPS receiver it in fact doesn't work with Bluetooth at all. This was told to me by a customer support rep from NG.

I have not seen any other Topo products that works on the Palm OS.
    Delorme is the only topo map maker that I have had any luck with on laptops....still looking on Treo
    Doesn't the Treo have a built in GPS that someone can hack to work with an installed interface?
    I believe the built-in "GPS" is really just a form of tower triangulation (e911?), and is fairly inaccurate (150ft?). I don't belive the treo has a true "GPS" receiver built in.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    Interesting. I was under the impression that it was an actual GPS chip, meaning even if you didn't have service from a tower, you could still acquire a position. I know all of the phones from Nextel have a built in GPS chip which allows for some very nifty service in the way of navigation, etc.

If the 700 does have an actual chip built into it, I’d be curious to know if anyone has ever attempted writing software to utilize it.
    If the 700 does have an actual GPS chip built in, no one has yet had time to write sw to interface to it, I'd assume.

Translating the GPS coordinates and then putting them on a map can be a tricky business - quite tedious I'm told.
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    I would imagine so, however there are many software titles out there that do this already. There shouldn't be any reason why a patch for the 700 couldn't be written to get the GPS coordinates off of the 700's chip instead of a Bluetooth tethered receiver.
    Palm's website doesn't list a GPS receiver as a feature. Hard to imagine them putting it in but not touting it. I really think the phone has simplistic e911.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00p/specs.html
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    “E911 Emergency Location Enabled

Features an embedded Global Positioning System (GPS) chip necessary for utilizing the E911 emergency location service where available”

Strait from the Sprint website.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    The is from the Treo 700P manual
    Location ON allows the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network to determine
    your longitude and latitude position at any time in order to provide
    location-specific services. 911 Only restricts your location information to
    emergency services only.
    --Don
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Delorme is the only topo map maker that I have had any luck with on laptops....still looking on Treo
    Hi Jack!!

Doesn't Delorme make a PalmOS add on to their Laptop programs (Topo included) that will utilize their Bluetooth GPS reciever? You create a map(s) you want to carry with you from the laptop program -- load the maps onto your Palm -- and take off with map in hand and their GPS reciever plotting your progress. At least this is what I thought from my browsing of 2-3 years ago.

http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/default.asp
    Scroll down half way for the canoeing & hiking paragraph.

Cheers,Perry.
    Just in case, the Tom Tom from my 650 is running on the 700p. Only problem is that the program disables usage of the 4 hard keys, so getting out of the program is tedious, but not impossible (just pop out the SD card and put it back in).

Haven't tried it with the GPS bluetooth receiver, but it does prompt me to turn on the bluetooth, so I'm pretty sure it will work.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    The problem with Delorme, last time I looked, is that for the street atlas companion, you can only load a very small area.....the topo one, when I got it anyway, didn't have that capability. The whoel PS kit and software sitting on a shelf here soemhwee unused....problem is delorme support people have no idea what their stuff can do so I gave up on them.
    Treodoctor - were you able to get a refund, or anything on the National Geographic software? I also purchased it under the belief that it would work over bluetooth...but so far I've gotten no response from them.
    FYI - for anyone that uses Mapopolis Navigator (not NavCard - I haven't tried that), it is extremely slow on my 700p. I do not use GPS with it, just look up addresses. No matter what I tried I could not get it to respond faster than 4-6 seconds after a button press or screen tap. Anyone else experiencing this?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast