1.    #1  
    I've got a MacBook Pro and am waiting for my 700p to be delivered today. I've decided to use Missing Sync. Do I even need to install Palm Desktop & Hot Sync Manager to make this work?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Checkout: http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=115501

I was unable to get MS working to begin with so I uninstalled it and went with Palm Desktop. Others report it works fine right off the bat. So ????

Frank
    I have Palm Desktop working fine with the treo 650 on a MacBook Pro. I've had nothing but problems with MS, so I just don't use it anymore. It was too slow and incredibly buggy, especially with my fairly large datebook db (Palm Desktop has no problem). You can go to the Mac sub-forum here on TC and see the mixed reports. Plan on upgrading to the 700p and sticking with Palm for at least a while.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    My problem with Palm Desktop is that I want to use iCal and AddressBook. To do that with Palm Desktop you need to use the Apple iSync conduit. But that has significant limitations:

1.) Only home addresses are synced.
    2.) No categories are synced for addresses.
    3.) No categories are synced for calendar (been a long time but I think this one is true).

Missing Sync will sync both work and home addresses for addresses, and will sync categories for both addressbook and calendar. Personally, it's worked fine for me. I've used Missing Sync 5.0 on a PowerBook and now 5.1 on a MacBook Pro with no errors.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for everyone's replies. But can anyone answer my original question? I wasn't asking what people preferred (Missing Sync vs Palm Desktop) but whether I need to even install Palm Desktop if I've decided to use Missing Sync.
    Acoustic ..

No, you don't need to install Palm Desktop.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, Wishbone. Maybe you can answer another question for me: I will be using Entourage on my desktop. Do you recommend that I use the Entourage conduit or sync with the iApps (in this scenario, I would rely in sync services to sync Entourage and the iApps, which would then sync with my 700p)?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Thanks for everyone's replies. But can anyone answer my original question? I wasn't asking what people preferred (Missing Sync vs Palm Desktop) but whether I need to even install Palm Desktop if I've decided to use Missing Sync.
    I did not install palm desktop.
    Acoustic

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to use Entourage, so I have no experience with that, however, I would suggest the entourage conduit as I suspect you will get better results.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by WishBone
    Acoustic

Sorry, but you couldn't pay me to use Entourage, so I have no experience with that, however, I would suggest the entourage conduit as I suspect you will get better results.
    Do you just have a categorical sanction against Microsoft or any functional concerns with Entourage?
    Acoustic

Both... I think entourage is buggy and prefer Apple mail anyway.. YMMV.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all of your help, WishBone!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Hey All, just dumped my treo 700w last night on ebay, and picked up my 700p this afternoon, the port is still not even complete, but I already like this device A LOT better than the 700w. I installed missing sync on macbookpro and it works GREAT, but my only question is, if and when a firmware update comes out, can u do it through missing sync or would you be required to then install palm desktop?

Thanks guys!
    So far Missing Sync works fine for me. I do not sync my e-mail with it, but as far as Contacts, Notes, Calender, etc....all is well. Just make sure you install the Microsoft Handheld accesory tool found in your MS Office for Mac folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Do you recommend that I use the Entourage conduit or sync with the iApps (in this scenario, I would rely in sync services to sync Entourage and the iApps, which would then sync with my 700p)?
    I suggest that you sync entourage directly using the microsoft conduit. It will lead to fewer problems, I can tell you from lots of personal experience with my 650p.
    I'm having HUGE problems with MS... But I don't sync with entourage.