Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    The Clear Case is too bulky for me (I hate that clasp thing on the side) and I want absolutely nothing covering my screen (except for my screen protector).
    Oh well, like they say, one man's garbage is another man's prune danish. Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes, and cases are a real personal thing because you have to live with (rather than fight with..) .. their design every time you handle your phone. I thought silicone skins were close to ideal until I got the aluminum case which I thought was wunnerful until I got the clear case. But except for the too-tight SD card slot, the clear case does it for me so I'll stick with it until something better comes along. I haven't found that something better yet.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Come on, Seidio, make us proud (again)!!!
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    hrlaser, don't the protrusions (hinge & sd card and/or belt clip attachment) on the ClearCase catch or snag when getting your 700p into/out of your pocket?

The ClearCase seems bulkier & uglier to me (as you've said, this is all subjective opinion) compared to the CrystalCase. That said, if the crystal case is popping apart in my pocket, it'll be going in the trash.

I've got no use for a belt clip, SD card slot, or screen cover (on top of a screen protcector)...so I'm hopeful that either Seidio or SPE will come out with a crystal case that's the bomb.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Given you comments, I may try out the ClearCase afterall, but only if the crystal case is a bust.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    hrlaser, don't the protrusions (hinge & sd card and/or belt clip attachment) on the ClearCase catch or snag when getting your 700p into/out of your pocket?

The ClearCase seems bulkier & uglier to me (as you've said, this is all subjective opinion) compared to the CrystalCase. That said, if the crystal case is popping apart in my pocket, it'll be going in the trash.

I've got no use for a belt clip, SD card slot, or screen cover (on top of a screen protcector)...so I'm hopeful that either Seidio or SPE will come out with a crystal case that's the bomb.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Given you comments, I may try out the ClearCase afterall, but only if the crystal case is a bust.
    Hi
    The closure mechanism (two tabs into slots on the right side - are completely flush with the right side -nothing sticks out and you can barely feel them if you run a finger up and down the right side.. and the clasp on the left is curved inwards, like a thumb rest, sticks out not even 1/4 inch, and all of its corners are gently rounded, imagine a piece of wood that someone has taken a power router shaping tool too and rounded all its edges.) .. so nothing snags going into or coming out of my jacket or pants pockets at all.

The case has never popped apart on me (I've never dropped it on a hard surfance and won't do that on pupose, but it's slipped off the sofa a foot onto a carpeted floor and didn't pop apart)..

The metal dohickey in the back that holds the nub that holds the belt clip is nearly flush with the back of the case. It might be hard to tell from the store pictures but the round metal thing is behind the plastic, surrounded by a curved, rounded plastic ridge which like the clasp on the left is gently sloped, so nothing to grab onto fabric there.

The SD card slot is virtually useless since it takes an inordinate amount of pressure to get a card into or out of it, so I don't use it at all. It was poorly designed, or designed out of spec - I can't believe the designers didn't actually try inserting and removing cards from it, but if they did, and assuming all of these come out of the same plastic injecition molding machine, then it's just ever-so-slightly not wide enough to make it easy to insert or remove a card, and all SD cards are supposed to be built to specs developed by the SD Card Consortium.

So basically, in my experience using the thing every day for a couple of months, no, nothing snags, no it doesn't pop open, I like the flip up clear window over the screen, (keeps anything in my pockets from touching the screen at all..) .. I don't use the belt clip, I don't use the card slot, so if the back of the case was totally flat and had neither, I wouldn't miss them, but even by being there, they don't get in the way or snag on anything. It fits perfectly in the INNOdock cradle, so I'd give it maybe a 9 out of 10.

Ugly is as ugly does. I rather like the way it looks. Again, subjective. I get no commission out of anyone for saying these things. My wallet doesn't fatten one iota if TC sells 2 of them a week or 2000 of them a week. And anyway, the store here has a no questions asked money back guarantee. Buy something and if you don't like it, for any reason send it back (on your dime) and get your money back. That's the stated policy in the store.
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...ge-returns.htm

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  5. mjf
    Well not to steal Seidio or Harv's thunder, but....

If you happen to need an extra car charger and want a crystal case with free shipping all for $13.99, check out:
    http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDeta...x?q=p:10503923

I purchased this combo a couple of weeks ago, and the case appears to be either identical or a very close knock off of the Clear Case described by Harv and pictured on this site. The clip mechanism appears identical, the SD card cut out is identical and the flip screen seems to be identical. The only difference from Harv's description is that the SD card goes in and out on this pcmicrostore case without any problems. This case also seems identical (by the photos) to the one sold as Crystal Case for the Treo 650 on the Proporta site. Interestingly, this pcmicrostore case is billed as being for the Treo 650/700. But it does fit my 700P extremely well. So not sure if all these cases are made by the same factory across the globe, or if all their designers just coincidentally had the same inspiration...

The negatives are: (1)no cut out for a reset hole for those with the Seidio battery cover (2)the flip screen hinge is held in by what seems to be just a 1 mm or less peg into a 1mm or less hole. It has held up to my gentle use so far, but does not seem like it will hold up to years of use. Harv-- does the flip screen on your case seem equally fragile? (3)The flip screen is not scratch-proof---- I keep this crystal cased Treo 700P inside a Samsonite soft sportcase attached to my belt (no geek-comments please ). I have a flashcard hard plastic case velcroed in to the samsonite soft case to hold an extra SD card, which abuts the crystal case flip screen. Some friction has caused some scratches of this flip screen. Nothing major, and I guess you can't expect indestructibility in a case that comes shipped free with a car charger for $13.99.

Anyway, the price is right, even as a spare case, and as I said, if you need a car charger anyway, it's a great deal. While you're on the site, an extra AC charger is $7.99 and will also ship for free (at least it did when I added to my order). Note: I have no financial relationship with this company-- am just a bargain hunter!

I would be interested to hear David comment how the Seidio case will differ from/improve upon the SPE clear case or the PCmicrostore crystal case.
    Like Harv, I really like the flip screen as the more protection, the better.
    Last edited by mjf; 06/27/2006 at 06:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Don't see how you're stealing thunder for just showing another vendor hocking the same product. They seem identical. I thought the Seidio like the other one mentioned on here were going to be thinner with a smaller profile locking mechanism than the cheapo versions.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    So not sure if all these cases are made by the same factory across the globe, or if all their designers just coincidentally had the same inspiration...
    More likely the former than the latter.

Harv-- does the flip screen on your case seem equally fragile?
    Hmm.. I wouldn't call it particularly fragile; I've flipped it up and snapped it shut hundreds of times - I try not to be brutal with it, but I don't handle it like a Faberge' egg either.. and it hasn't broken its pins yet. (Probably just hexed it by saying that..) .. but it wouldn't take much twisting or torque to bust those little plastic pins off if you tried to do it on purpose. You're right, those little pins molded into the top of the flip up window are just a couple millimeters of round plastic.. going into tiny round plastic holes.. they probably will break, eventually, but so far, so good. The case is hardly milspec but it also doesn't feel like something you'd buy at the 99 cent store either.

Harv
  8. mjf
    Thanks Harv, appreciate your response!
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    It is coming !, may be around late next week or so . The new matching holster will also be available.

David Chang
    Seidio
    Its Thursday j/k
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsRandall
    Its Thursday j/k

Enjoy it! This almost the best part..the waiting...the anticipation! lol
    _DeusI_Deus@hotmail.com
  11. mjf
    Maybe I am missing something, but if this is the item (from Seidioonline website)
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=337

then from the picture, it looks identical to:
    http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDeta...x?q=p:10503923

and of course the latter is $7 less expensive PLUS comes with free shipping PLUS includes a car charger!

SO, am I missing something?
    You're missing something.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  13. mjf
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    You're missing something.
    You're right. I'm too unhip. Just figured out that j/k means 'just kidding' so MsRandall was just hinting to David that the new case is due already, and that the clear case on the Seidio website (http://www.seidioonline.com/index.a...PROD&ProdID=337) despite the "New!" label has really been there for a while, and is not their new case that everyone is awaiting. Whew. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    You're right. I'm too unhip. Just figured out that j/k means 'just kidding' so MsRandall was just hinting to David that the new case is due already, and that the clear case on the Seidio website (http://www.seidioonline.com/index.a...PROD&ProdID=337) despite the "New!" label has really been there for a while, and is not their new case that everyone is awaiting. Whew. Thanks for your help!
    No problem. I knew that a gentle notification that you were misguided would be all you needed to put the pieces together. I knew that you would realize that if you had read more than the last few posts of this thread you would see that the case you referred to had been discussed thoroughly already. You would have also realized that the case you referred to is available at no less than 100 places on the web (here are a few: link, link, link, etc.), our dear TreoCentral Store being one of them!

No thanks are necessary, I was just doing my job (from my Treo while at work - which is why my original reply was so brief).
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I picked up the crystal case "for the 700p" from the treocentral store. While it is able to fit on a 700, it doesn't fit well. It's clearly just the 650 case. There is extra room on the bottom corners whiched were carved off of the form factor of the 700. It also does not accomodate the 700 antenna well, you can tell that the case is not fully closed. They should probably not market this as an accessory for the 700, I'm trashing it and trying the egrips instead.
    Are you referring to the ClearCase?
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    I picked up the crystal case "for the 700p" from the treocentral store. While it is able to fit on a 700, it doesn't fit well. It's clearly just the 650 case. There is extra room on the bottom corners whiched were carved off of the form factor of the 700. It also does not accomodate the 700 antenna well, you can tell that the case is not fully closed. They should probably not market this as an accessory for the 700, I'm trashing it and trying the egrips instead.
    Where did you see a CrystalCase for the Treo 700p? Doesn't exist yet. Please provide a link. SPE has a ClearCase for the 700p, but not crystal yet.

Isn't it almost time to start hounding David again for a Seidio Crystal Case update?
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Isn't it almost time to start hounding David again for a Seidio Crystal Case update?
    It sure is!!!!
    Is the Seidio case getting any closer to being released?

I've tried the ClearCase for the 700p and the fit is not good . . . and it squeeks like a baby rat when I walk.
    Seidio has a new link on their website for a crystal case / holster combo for the 650. Seems the holster has been modified for the crystal case, but the crystal case itself is the same one that can be purchased elsewhere. I thought Seidio was going to modify the case to work with a reset hole battery cover.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI