Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Hello

I've done som searching on the forum, however I find the aswer to my Q below a bit difficult to find :|

According to this article bluetooth are capable of connecting to 8-eight devices simultaneously...
    Bluetooth can connect up to eight devices simultaneously.
    Plz explain to me (or point me to an explanation) why the 650 can't handle more than one connection at a time. I suspect this has to do with the BT version - so it would also be nice if someone could explain (in plain language) the difference from BT1.1-BT2.0.

Thanks in advance!
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Maybe its due to the lack of a multi-tasking OS? Other OS's can do it.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Hello

I've done som searching on the forum, however I find the aswer to my Q below a bit difficult to find :|

According to this article bluetooth are capable of connecting to 8-eight devices simultaneously...

Plz explain to me (or point me to an explanation) why the 650 can't handle more than one connection at a time. I suspect this has to do with the BT version - so it would also be nice if someone could explain (in plain language) the difference from BT1.1-BT2.0.

Thanks in advance!
    The reason that you can't have multiple connections has to do with the way Bluetooth was integrated into Palm OS 5.x. The current Bluetooth implementation is based on the 4.x implementation, where everything runs on the UI thread. This basically makes BT run single threaded (contrary to popular belief, Palm OS 5 is multi-threaded). Look at this to change with the Palm 700P, BTW.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano
    This basically makes BT run single threaded (contrary to popular belief, Palm OS 5 is multi-threaded). Look at this to change with the Palm 700P, BTW.
    The Palm 700p is out. Are you saying this has changed?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The Palm 700p is out. Are you saying this has changed?

Surur
    Yes. Although user apps can still only acces the Bluetooth library one at a time, other system connections (like hands-free connections) can exist at the same time as a user app connection. So, in theory, you could have a hands-free connection at the same time as a GPS connection.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    OK - I see. I'll probably jump ship because of stupid limitations like this. Palm is sadly not moving forward as fast as their competitors in my opinion.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)