1.    #1  
    Beforehand, I'm sorry if this has been covered/wrong forum/stupid question.

I've been looking (and drooling) over the 700p from VZW, but have now hit a brick wall. Looking at their coverage map it says that All-Digital devices will not operate "when digital service is not available". Not simply lacking wireless access or something "high-tech", but not being able to place calls, not even 911. According to the map at VZW, this means the 700p won't work in half the country. Nebraska is almost entirely excluded, as is Maine, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oregon. Is this correct or am I a few beers short of a six-pack?

And, assuming this is correct, why bother buying a phone that goes out of commission as soon as you leave a major city? I live in Seattle, and driving an hour anywhere will pretty much mean I'm stranded (electronically).

Thanks.
    Where did you read that? There was a law passed requiring all wireless providers to upgrade all of their analog towers to digital service. I'm almost positive that *all* towers are now digital.

So....if "digital service is not available" then you have no service whatsoever.

EDIT: I think you may be referring to the NationalAccess area, not the digital area. You will not have any problems making calls even if you are outside of the NationalAccess area (you wouldn't be able to access Picture/Video messaging, Web, and TXT messaging.)

EDIT 2: I see what you are looking at now. You understood the text wrong, it says:
    * With All Digital devices, you can only make and receive calls where digital service is available.
    It is referring to All Digital phones, not data phones. All phones sold on the VZW network today are All Digital phones, not just the data phones. It is referring to whether the phone has analog capabilities or not.

And as you can see, there are only a few pockets of analog service which have not been upgraded yet.
    Last edited by airoid; 05/30/2006 at 01:46 AM.
    Are you maybe confusing EVDO with slower 1xRTT? Verizon does not have EVDO rolled out yet in the areas you mentioned (and half the country). You will usually get slower 1xRTT data most anywhere you get a Verizon voice signal but will only get high speed EVDO in the cities listed here....

http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841

Verizon's challenge is that they are generally not putting EVDO in markets that have only 800mhz towers. Sprint has EVDO in more markets because Sprint can more easily put EVDO anywhere, since all of their network has 1900mhz towers. And Sprint does plan to have nearly 100% of network on EVDO by end of next year. Will be a challenge for Verizon to do entire network on EVDO.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Yeah... as the others have noted... you'll have digital mobile coverage... maybe not EVDO everywhere... but you'll be able to make calls in most areas
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for laying my paranoid delusions to rest. Now I can order the 700p and anxiously check its shipping status like the rest of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Are you maybe confusing EVDO with slower 1xRTT? Verizon does not have EVDO rolled out yet in the areas you mentioned (and half the country). You will usually get slower 1xRTT data most anywhere you get a Verizon voice signal but will only get high speed EVDO in the cities listed here....

http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841

Verizon's challenge is that they are generally not putting EVDO in markets that have only 800mhz towers. Sprint has EVDO in more markets because Sprint can more easily put EVDO anywhere, since all of their network has 1900mhz towers. And Sprint does plan to have nearly 100% of network on EVDO by end of next year. Will be a challenge for Verizon to do entire network on EVDO.

How is Sprint coverage compared to Vz in say the northeastern region - CT/NYC/NJ?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    ^Do you mean EVDO coverage?

Here is Sprint's... Orange is EVDO today, yellow is EVDO planned for end of this year...
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...20Island,%20Ny

For Verizon, go here and click on VCast for EVDO coverage...
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...type=newsearch
    sorry I mean both evdo and regular cell service.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Verizon's network is only effective if phones also have anolog capabilities...hence motorala. Verizon's vast network of towers and their inconsistant technology base makes it not good to have an all digital handset. Sprint's network is all digital, built new from the ground up. IMO, I think Sprint has a better all digital network, and that is why they had so many issues in the begining with coverage, but it has gotten better and that is why Sprint to a certain extent can afford to have all digital devices. Sprint will eventually get there, and it will be with an consistant up to date all digital fiber optic network.
    at&t iPhone3G
    so does Sprint have good coverage in Tri-State area - CT/NY? anyone know? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Sprint also has unique EVDO roaming agreements with Alltel starting July 1 while Verizon does not. Verizon has had 1xRTT roaming with Alltel while Sprint previously did not but now they'll both have 1xRTT roaming on Alltel. Alltel plans to deploy EVDO in rural areas that they have voice service in and will avoid deploying in urban areas, leaving that to Sprint.

Here are Alltel data markets...
    http://www.alltel.com/business/enhan..._coverage.html
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    so does Sprint have good coverage in Tri-State area - CT/NY? anyone know? Thanks!
    You'll get different answers from different users. Verizon likely has better voice service in fringe, less dense areas but probably not EVDO in most cases, especially after this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Verizon's network is only effective if phones also have anolog capabilities...hence motorala. Verizon's vast network of towers and their inconsistant technology base makes it not good to have an all digital handset.
    This is not true whatsoever. Like I said, the law was passed requiring all towers to have digital technology by a certain date. This means there will be no reason to have an analog phone in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    How is Sprint coverage compared to Vz in say the northeastern region - CT/NYC/NJ?
    In the NYC tristate area, Telephia reported that Cingular currently "rules the roost" having knocked Verizon off the perch. The testing methodology was to drive around and count how many dropped calls were experienced. I am located on Long Island and travelk throughout the tristate area. I use Cingular on my Treo and carry a Verizon phone as a backup. I haven't used the Verizon phone in 13 months as I have yet to be in an area w/o signal since then.