1.    #1  
    I called today and the first guy at telesales said the 700P would be available in June or July. I didn't really want to argue with him and thought about calling back to get another guy. Just before I did though, I mentioned that it was on the website. He looked it up and then suggested that my best course of action was to cancel my Sprint account and sign up with the web special to get the best price (I'm out of contract). Basically add a line of service and take one away.

That seemed like a lot of red tape to go through, but I decided to play ball. "Transfer me over so that I can cancel my account." I figured that would surely get me to retention. It worked. I explained to the retention lady that the previous gentlemen suggested that I cancel my account to get the best price on a phone. She looked up the 700P and said it wasn't in her system, but she does see it on the website. Given that, she could give me credits to my account of $250 -- the difference between the price of the phone with no plan and the price with a plan. She then suggested that I buy the phone at a Sprint store and that I'd be where I would be if I got the phone cheaply. That seemed pretty fair for me.

I had to press my luck though. I had really wanted to get in on the SERO plan. I knew it might be difficult. She hadn't heard of the SERO plan and wouldn't bother to look it up on the web because she wouldn't have the codes to make it happen anyway. I love the retention people though because she found she could add 180 minutes to my current 300 minute plan for free. That brought me up to just 20 minutes shy of the SERO plan I would get. I get to keep my grandfathered $10 Internet plan (which I hope is compatible with Power Vision) with unlimited text messaging.

So I guess my plan is to order via the Palm Developer plan to get the $100 off and sell my Treo 650 on eBay. When all is done, I'm not sure if the upgrade will cost me anything.

So WOW - am I a happy guy!
    Yeah --

I've only been dealing with Retentions (with a little searching you can find their direct number) and set up all of my discounts. Because of how long I've had my current phone, I qualify for pretty much all the same discounts that new customers receive. The couple of people that I spoke with there also told me that I'd be best off waiting a little bit and buying everything in a Sprint store since there everything will be instant whereas buying from them or telesales would mean that I'd have to deal with mail-in rebates...
  3.    #3  
    I didn't have to deal with mail-ins. They were applied to my account instantly (could see them on the website). It will take me 6 months to use up the dicounts. The bonus is for me is the flexibility to use my developer discount from Palm (plus free 1GB SD card). That free card will go with my Treo 650 on Ebay once it arrives.

I forgot... It did cost me an extra $2.50 a month to add 7PM. I thought that was a little odd since their plans offer that now anyway, but I was feeling good about everything else.
    Good to hear some love from Sprint. They have been upsetting lately. My coverage is good where I am at, so I am sticking with Sprint.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I called today and the first guy at telesales said the 700P would be available in June or July. I didn't really want to argue with him and thought about calling back to get another guy. Just before I did though, I mentioned that it was on the website. He looked it up and then suggested that my best course of action was to cancel my Sprint account and sign up with the web special to get the best price (I'm out of contract). Basically add a line of service and take one away.

That seemed like a lot of red tape to go through, but I decided to play ball. "Transfer me over so that I can cancel my account." I figured that would surely get me to retention. It worked. I explained to the retention lady that the previous gentlemen suggested that I cancel my account to get the best price on a phone. She looked up the 700P and said it wasn't in her system, but she does see it on the website. Given that, she could give me credits to my account of $250 -- the difference between the price of the phone with no plan and the price with a plan. She then suggested that I buy the phone at a Sprint store and that I'd be where I would be if I got the phone cheaply. That seemed pretty fair for me.

I had to press my luck though. I had really wanted to get in on the SERO plan. I knew it might be difficult. She hadn't heard of the SERO plan and wouldn't bother to look it up on the web because she wouldn't have the codes to make it happen anyway. I love the retention people though because she found she could add 180 minutes to my current 300 minute plan for free. That brought me up to just 20 minutes shy of the SERO plan I would get. I get to keep my grandfathered $10 Internet plan (which I hope is compatible with Power Vision) with unlimited text messaging.

So I guess my plan is to order via the Palm Developer plan to get the $100 off and sell my Treo 650 on eBay. When all is done, I'm not sure if the upgrade will cost me anything.

So WOW - am I a happy guy!

I think you are going to be forced into power vision. I have been trying to keep my $10 vision and I do not think it is possible. Congrats on the other freebies but all EVDO phones get forced into Power Vision.
    I was lucky. I called & in to find out if I could keep my $10 vision (unlimited text, picture/ video mail) grandfathered plan when I get the Treo 700P. He said no as my plan was not compatible with Powervision. I had to "upgrade" to the higher priced plan. I complained & was put on hold. He came back & said as of June 1st I would have Powervision for same price & he would have to add unlimited txt for $8 BUT he would also add a reocurring $8 credit on my bill. I am so happy! Normally it takes a few reps to get what I want but I was lucky with this guy. Bottom line is you CAN keep your current vision plan with the Treo 700P. You just have to find thw right person to help you out. There is no special codes really. Basically there are many ways to skin this cat. My rep chose one way. Good luck & don't give up!
  7.    #7  
    I think I might get forced into Power Vision. I did ask the retention person and they did seem to think it would work with the data plan I have. I have to wonder if she really knew what she was talking about. I don't need and of the TV stuff, so the $15 basic plan would be all I'd need (Pic mail would be nice, but I don't use it often).

I would hope they'd give me some kind of deal for having been a customer for so long.
    You will be forced into a power vision plan. I have a Samsung EVDO phone and when I did the esn swap, they told me that my regular vision plan wouldn't work with the phone.
    Well if you just want web/data the current plan does work. You get EVDO speeds for web and like. If you want the rest (TV and stuff) you will need to upgrade the plan. This is the feeling over at sprintusers.com
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I'm not too excited by the TV and would rather not pay for it. If the TV were real copies of real channels live (I hear that ESPN is a mash-up and no real games) and carried things Red Sox and Patriots games, well then they have something of value to me. I suppose I'll just keep praying to the Slingbox Gods they make a Palm version.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    If the TV were real copies of real channels live =[...] [live] games, well then they have something of value to me. I suppose I'll just keep praying to the Slingbox Gods they make a Palm version.
    That's my beef with it exactly. I want to be able to watch live sporting events when I am nowhere near a TV set. I am willing to pay per view for the college football and basketball games I need to watch.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Did any of you guys read my post above? You do not have to get forced into Power Vision!

I was lucky. I called & in to find out if I could keep my $10 vision (unlimited text, picture/ video mail) grandfathered plan when I get the Treo 700P. He said no as my plan was not compatible with Powervision. I had to "upgrade" to the higher priced plan. I complained & was put on hold. He came back & said as of June 1st I would have Powervision for same price & he would have to add unlimited txt for $8 BUT he would also add a reocurring $8 credit on my bill. I am so happy! Normally it takes a few reps to get what I want but I was lucky with this guy. Bottom line is you CAN keep your current vision plan with the Treo 700P. You just have to find thw right person to help you out. There is no special codes really. Basically there are many ways to skin this cat. My rep chose one way. Good luck & don't give up!