1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

I have been using wordsmith for a few weeks and have been having nothing but problems with it. I've been talking with WS tech support and for the most part, they have been unable to solve any of the probs I have. They've told me they've never heard of these probs before. I'm curious if any of you have had any of these problems and

1. if you've found a solution or
    2. if WS has told you the same things.

probs i've had/am having:

a. for a long time ws was saving each new doc (not memo) as an application on the launcher. there was no icon for these documents, but the title of the doc was there. clicking on it did nothing. of course, this cluttered my desktop up like crazy. out of the blue, WS stopped doing this, which is how it started in the first place (i was using it for a week before this started happening). i installed no other software that could have made it behave this eradically.

b. when i try and copy/cut text out of a doc and paste it into another app (doesn't matter what app), WS only copies the first paragraph (doesn't matter how short/long the doc or paragraph is). this is a royal pain in the **** and is the reason i am giving up on this software.

c. saves all new docs as "apps" or databases. so when i go into app|info, all my docs are listed there. however, the docs i wrote prior to this bug appearing (for no particular reason) are not on the list.

d. very sporadic as to what it will allow to be hotsynced to or from it. i'll hotsync, and it'll put an error in the log. i hotsync again and the doc that gave an error transfers without problem.

i am using the latest version of wordsmith (i've downloaded the thing uncountable times at the request of their tech support) and am running a platinum with plenty of memory free and windows 98.

any feedback appreciated, especially regarding the cut and paste problem.

thanks,

mc.
    Haven't experienced A,B, or D and have not tried C.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Howdy,

Originally posted by mensachicken
    Hi Folks,

probs i've had/am having:

a. for a long time ws was saving each new doc (not memo) as an application on the launcher. there was no icon for these documents, but the title of the doc was there. clicking on it did nothing. of course, this cluttered my desktop up like crazy. out of the blue, WS stopped doing this, which is how it started in the first place (i was using it for a week before this started happening). i installed no other software that could have made it behave this eradically.

d. very sporadic as to what it will allow to be hotsynced to or from it. i'll hotsync, and it'll put an error in the log. i hotsync again and the doc that gave an error transfers without problem.

mc.
    a. Had the same problem - same M.O. Started for no apparent, stopped the same way.

d. Same here - it stopped syncing at all (right after I installed Palm Desktop 4.0 - though nothing else was effected). After reinstalling the hotsync portion only from my Handspring disk, it started syncing properly again. Don't know what started or stopped it for sure.

I am having a similar problem with the syncing stuff. It keeps giving me errors about the sync.

Their tech support has been really good, I must say, I am very impressed with how fast their responses, and how well they understood what I was trying to do. It is refreshing to have such good support, even if problems can't get solved, it is nice to know someone is trying. (Odd that good tech support for a product is now praised... isn't that part of the purchase... off subject).

My problem is that files which I update in my Prism do not get copied to my PC. I hit the sync check box, and it doesn't sync, and then next time I look at it, it gets unchecked.

Perhaps the new update that their site says is coming will fix some of this.
    -Russ
    I have only noticed (c).
    Hello WordSmith users,

I'm Bobby from Blue Nomad Support,

I haven't had many issues like "a" where the docs are saved to the desktop. If you are having this issue or any other with WordSmith, please don't hesitate to contact our support department. You can contact us by going to http://www.bluenomad.com and clicking on support.

Issue "b" May be related to cliphack or other text input programs. Make sure you have all the hacks turned off. I wasn't able to reproduce this problem when contacted by the user. If anyone has experienced this, let us know.

Issue "c" I couldn't reproduce this here.

Issue "d" Depending on your settings, there are many ways that the syncing process can be hosed. WordSmith has to be in RAM for the conduit to work. If you have a copy of a doc on springboard, this may cause a problem. Try removing the s.b. and see if the sync still won't work. If you don't have "sync" selected in the doc's details this will be an obvious problem. If you rename the document on your handheld, WS will look for the same name on your desktop. If you haven't renamed on the desktop too, it won't find it. Please feel free to contact us at support for any of these issues and any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Bobby
    Blue Nomad Sales & Support Team
    http://www.bluenomad.com
    Hi Bobby,

>I'm Bobby from Blue Nomad Support,
    >I haven't had many issues like "a" where the docs are >saved to the desktop.

The same thing happened again to me today. The .doc I was creating turned up as an iconless app on my desktop. Using a GREAT program by the name of filez, I looked at the file properties. I found that for some reason it was saved as a tEXT file (rather than BDOC) and the creator was not WordSmith. I edited both properties using filez, and the app disappeared from my desktop, and the MSWord logo - which had been absent - appeared next to the doc file as with the rest of my docs. I did nothing different in the creation of this doc file than I had any other. I would bet it will happen again - as it has happened 2 other times before. Hope that gives you something to look into.

David
    Hello David,

Thanks for the information! That's very helpful indeed. Could you tell me what other doc programs you have on your device? One of them may be interacting and causing this problem.

Thanks,

Bobby
    www.bluenomad.com
  9.    #9  
    Hi,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate Bobby posting here. He was also very helpful via email, even though we couldn't find the source of my problems.

I was simply feeling silly that I was having these probs and was wondering if I was alone, which is why I posted here in the first place. I won't say I think it's great others are experiencing the same bugs, but at least I now know it was just stupid user issues, a thought that had crossed my mind cause most of the comments on VC were very positive.

Once again, thanks for your help Bobby!

mc.
    Hi Bobby,

Originally posted by Blue Nomad

Thanks for the information! That's very helpful indeed. Could you tell me what other doc programs you have on your device? One of them may be interacting and causing this problem.
    Bobby
    I don't have any other doc programs on my device. When I first installed WS, I did have MegaDoc, but deleted that as soon as I took a look at WS.

David
    Hello David and MC,

Thanks for the messages, I'll meet with the developer and and get back to your about this issue as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience!

Russ emailed me about this issue that he resolved:

"My problem is that files which I update in my Prism do not get copied to my PC. I hit the sync check box, and it doesn't sync, and then next time I look at it, it gets unchecked."

-Russ

He did a complete reinstall and this seemed to get everything syncing again.

Bobby
    www.bluenomad.com
    A similar problem for me.

Wordsmith DOCs edited on my Visor Pl does not sync to my PC when "Synchronize the files" is selected in HotSync Manager - only syncs when "Handheld overwrites Desktop" is selected. This is a recent problem for me. I re-installed the Wordsmith conduit, but not Wordsmith on my Visor yet, with no luck.
    Hello Observer,

I replied to you by email as well, first I suggest doing a complete reinstall in case you don't have the latest version. Also, some users have noticed that reinstalling after disabling any hacks has helped them. Please let us know if you need any more help at support@bluenomad.com.

Thanks,

Bobby
    www.bluenomad.com
    Hey--

Anybody notice that WordSmith has trouble dealing with really long doc files? I was trying to read an E-book with it (really long), and had immense trouble scrolling through it accurately. Wordsmith kept jumping too far. I tried to do a search through the document for the chapter number (using word search), and it just crashed my Visor! Anybody had this problem.

And I must say that having Blue Nomad here is a tribute to the company. Despite these bugs, with user support like this, its a company I support (especially if you added support for right-justified languages like Hebrew and compatibility with TealDoc and iSilo bookmarks :-) ).

JakeBlues
    JakeBlues2
    "the BAND!"
    Hello Jake,

Thanks for the kind words, I apologize for any problems you are having with these files. Please make sure you have the latest version on your visor. The latest is 1.0d and is available from our website;

http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wor..._download.html

You can install this over the version you have now.
    If your reinstall doesn't help please let me know by sending email to support@bluenomad.com.

This may be an inherent problem with large files and memory. WordSmith has to make a "copy" of the whole doc for features like select all and infinite undo/redo. This causes a large file to get even larger. You could try breaking down the larger file into smaller pieces as a workaround.

Thanks,

Bobby
    www.bluenomad.com