Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Did you have to pay full price? Were you able to use the developers coupon?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Yep, full price. I'm not a developer so I didn't feel good about going that way but I admire people who do develop. I live right by the GW bridge so newark is 25 min and jfk is 35 min drive. Not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaw1515
    Bought mine this morning at Palm store in Century City - I activated mine just fine - phone is working - still waiting for EVDO to kick in...
    I got mine from the same store Sunday afternoon (I got my 650 there in 11/04 - it doesn't look anything like I remember and the Palm store moved!). Fortunately I called first to ask if they were in stock because when I got there and was checking out the display unit, I overheard the sales guy tell a customer next to me that his manager said they couldn't sell them until Monday. I told him about my call and was about to rage, but he said he could sell one to me because I'd called. Got two free accessories too.

When I got outside the parking structure I pulled off the road, called *2 on my 650 and did an ESN swap over the phone. Both voice and Power Vision came online within minutes. I did have to upgrade to Power Vision and was glad I asked because I would have been charged per kilobyte if I didn't have a plan in place.

So far so good. No spontaneous resets that I'm aware of - only those caused by reinstalling software.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariog7
    When I took it to the Sprint store, the guys was like "Wow, that's a hot phone - where did you get the new700p?" I was like, not from you idiots, obviously.
    /rant mode: on
    This is exactly why you guys feel you get crappy service from Sprint reps. You show up in a bad mood or call, and they cant help but feel that you're somehow blaming or insulting them. Speaking from personal experience, even while I'm trying to help a customer if they're saying "Man you guys suck (referring to customer care or some other department)" or "Man has Sprint's customer service fallen downhill" is hard to ignore because we all feel like we are part of a family, and talking down about my family is the same thing as talking down about me.

I cant speak universally about each and every associate at Sprint, but at our store that is how we feel.

And dont blame the reps for something they didn't do. They're really trying to help. Its the same as yelling at the gas pump clerk for the high gas prices. He didn't cause them. He just sells the gas. We dont get the info months before you guys do. Believe it or not, it all comes out about maybe 1-2 weeks before the launch of the phone. If even that fast.

We got the launch date the same exact date that it showed up here in the forums when someone illegally posted our playbook here. We don't get told about future phones except in vague forms if we just so happen to get to talk to a phone vendor who may be nice enough to come around the stores and check on products.

Phonescoop.com doesnt get pre-launch info from the Sprint Stores or from Customer Care. They get it from the FCC who gets it from Sprint's Corporate. We (The Stores and Customer Care)get the pre-Sprint info from Phonescoop.com. Why? Because Sprint has tons of phones to sell, and the last thing they want is to have older, obsolete phones in the stores for months that are not getting sold because customers want to wait for the next best thing (Not that my Treo 650 is obsolete by any means).

There is a tremendous information gap between Sprint Corporate, Sprint Customer Care, and the Sprint Stores. In many respects we act like competing companies. So dont get pissed at John Customer Care Rep or Jane Sales Rep because they dont know about your flavor of the month. There are tremendous amounts of things getting pushed to the reps, and there is always quota hanging on your shoulder.

The reps are going to be focused on making money. We all are. If talking to you on the phone for 20 minutes is not going to make them money, it will be time wasted and then don't expect them to bend over backwards, because sadly if they did that all the time, they'd be gone in about 3-4 months. Because not signing up new activations = write ups, then it leads to bye-bye Jane Sales Rep.

The smart devices only make up about 2-5% of Sprint's phone sales. Treo's probably take up about a 3rd of that equalled out by blackberries and PPCs. So if the average sales rep sells 1 or 2 Treo's a month at the most. Dont get pissed if they know way more about the regular phones that make up the other 100-200 phones they sell.

The reps are going to have general info training on each device (like reading the info off the box). Its only if you find an enthusiast about something where you will get some more detailed info, and even then they may not know enough to satisfy your curiosity. For the love, I had a man ask me "What was the radio frequency expanse rate of the Treo 700's EVDO data processor" or something like that (obviously an electrical engineer). He may as well have asked me to explain how to make a nuclear reactor. We don't know everything. Ask the maker of the phone.

Why is the phone so expensive? Palm has to make money & Sprint has to make money. You guys complain as if they're somehow evil because they want to make money. Its just not the case. If the prices were pushed as low as you guys would like. The companies would then be out of business. and you would have pretty paperweights.

My point is this. You guys have to relax on this. So Sprint didn't launch it when it originally planned. Big whoop. So my store got literally 12 calls about the 700 on Sunday (the original launch date). Big Whoop. So we aren't getting 12 in stock when they arrive. Big whoop. Its all coming. Just relax. If you dont qualify for the full discount on the phone in the store, dont yell at the rep. We can only follow what sprintrebates.com says you get. Call retentions. See if they can do any better for you. But quit bashing the poor reps for something they cannot fix.

/rant mode: off
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    This is exactly why you guys feel you get crappy service from Sprint reps. You show up in a bad mood or call, and they cant help but feel that you're somehow blaming or insulting them. Speaking from personal experience, even while I'm trying to help a customer if they're saying "Man you guys suck (referring to customer care or some other department)" or "Man has Sprint's customer service fallen downhill" is hard to ignore because we all feel like we are part of a family, and talking down about my family is the same thing as talking down about me.

I cant speak universally about each and every associate at Sprint, but at our store that is how we feel.

Vector,

Thanks for the time & thought that went into your post.
    Speaking only for myself, and my experience with Sprint, the quality of service and knowledge varies greatly from store to store, and csr to csr.
    I'm only speaking of corporate stores, not authorized dealers.

These's a big store near me, that I refuse to go to any longer. Attitude & service really suck. Virtually all employees, from management on down all act as if they are about to be fired. They just don't care. Worse than the DMV.

My last dealings with that store involved replacing my 650 under warranty last Summer. They had none in stock, refurb or new. Said they ordered one, and it would be in after the weekend. Called 3 days later, they had no record of one being ordered for me. He blamed someone else in the store. He ordered one. 3 days later I called, they said it was shipped to the wrong store. I asked which store, and said I was willing to drive there. He couldn't (or wouldn't?) tell me, and blamed someone else in the store. Said they ordered another. Got the refurb, and it was bad out of the box. At least I caught it before leaving the store. They had another, and that one worked.

Opposite side of things, found a GREAT Sprint store that now gets all my business, and plenty of referrals from me. I even wrote a letter to the regional mgr praising the store & mgmnt.

Long story short, I am not a negative person, not even close, but when confronted with lousy service from one location, it's easy for someone to generalize it to all locations.

I will say this, based only on my experience, 90% of the calls I have with your India outsourced call centers do not end well, and usually end up with a followup call to fix what the first call could not.

All cell phone companies suck in their own way, Sprint's difficulties lie in their customer service. I only stay because of the hardware. Once my stuff gets setup correctly, my equipment & the network works great.

Glad your store is one of the better ones. And taking pride in that, is a good thing.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Vector,

Thanks for the time & thought that went into your post.
    Speaking only for myself, and my experience with Sprint, the quality of service and knowledge varies greatly from store to store, and csr to csr.
    I'm only speaking of corporate stores, not authorized dealers.

These's a big store near me, that I refuse to go to any longer. Attitude & service really suck. Virtually all employees, from management on down all act as if they are about to be fired. They just don't care. Worse than the DMV.

My last dealings with that store involved replacing my 650 under warranty last Summer. They had none in stock, refurb or new. Said they ordered one, and it would be in after the weekend. Called 3 days later, they had no record of one being ordered for me. He blamed someone else in the store. He ordered one. 3 days later I called, they said it was shipped to the wrong store. I asked which store, and said I was willing to drive there. He couldn't (or wouldn't?) tell me, and blamed someone else in the store. Said they ordered another. Got the refurb, and it was bad out of the box. At least I caught it before leaving the store. They had another, and that one worked.

Opposite side of things, found a GREAT Sprint store that now gets all my business, and plenty of referrals from me. I even wrote a letter to the regional mgr praising the store & mgmnt.

Long story short, I am not a negative person, not even close, but when confronted with lousy service from one location, it's easy for someone to generalize it to all locations.

I will say this, based only on my experience, 90% of the calls I have with your India outsourced call centers do not end well, and usually end up with a followup call to fix what the first call could not.

All cell phone companies suck in their own way, Sprint's difficulties lie in their customer service. I only stay because of the hardware. Once my stuff gets setup correctly, my equipment & the network works great.

Glad your store is one of the better ones. And taking pride in that, is a good thing.
    ScaryHumor, Thank you for your well presented post. I really appreciate the explanation of a particular store sucking and a particular store doing really well by your standards.

The whole Sprint Sucks as a whole is what is bothering me. I know many managers in the Houston area. Some are exceptional, some marginal, and some on their way out. It can vary from store to store absolutely. Our store constantly gets people from other Sprint stores that were unwilling to help them, whereas our store is more than willing.

As for the Indian call centers.... That obviously was not my decision, nor do I agree with it. I think we should only have US based call centers. Why? Because you can't use CDMA in India! How would they know what our service is like?

It just irks me when I and my store, who are trying really hard to turn this concept of Sprint Sucks around and the people here constantly are saying it.

Why isn't there a Verizon Sucks thread? Aren't people outraged at their data costs? I mean $50 for unlimited EVDO right? I would be bothered by that.

Oh and as for everyone who does get a 700. Get Either Sprint's Total Equipment Protection Program (TEP) on it or at the least the Equipement Service and Repair Program (ESRP) on it. The last thing you want is to drop your phone, crack your screen and pay $55 for repairs or replacement.
  7.    #67  
    FYI - I went to the Newark, NJ airport store (terminal 1) and they swapped out my 700p that I originally bought from JFK and it is activated, no problem.
    Glad to hear that Mariog, it sounded like it was a bad batch at JFK. Glad Newark took care of you. I am waiting for mine to be delivered today
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Call up and complain to the Sprint CS, make sure you get in touch with a manager who knows what customer service is about.....
    Will either one of them do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    ...Worse than the DMV....
    One should not generalize about the DMV either. I am a DMV hater from way back but mine in Norwalk, CT is excellent. The attitude is good. There are signs to help one avoid getting in the wrong line. There are ushers to tell one where to go, to provide the right forms, and inform one of the procedures. The waiting area is clean and comfortable. People are served in turn; there is a count-down clock to tell you how long one will wait and how many are ahead of one. There is a news ticker to keep one informed/amused during any waits. There is even a canteen with good coffee. I cannot say that I look forward to going to the DMV but I no longer dread it or, worse, put it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    My point is this. You guys have to relax on this. So Sprint didn't launch it when it originally planned. Big whoop. ........
    This is a pattern. Every Treo launch since the death of handspring has been screwed up. That is why I tell people that announcements do not count. Taking orders does not count. Schedules do not count. The only thing that counts is shipments. If one has a tracking number from the carrier, the product is "available." Nothing that Palm or the carriers say may be relied upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Will either one of them do?
    First line CSR normally follows the internal procedures with regards to new product announcements, i.e.: if they have new products to be rolled out and corporate HQ says, don't sell until xx/xx/xx date, these guys follow procedures. Not all first line CSR have the authority.

However, if a store manager authorized the sale, I don't think the consumer should be left holding the line with a product that's not working for whatever reason. You the consumer are entitled to complain as the sale was authorized regardless of what HQ says.

If you complain nicely (as these are people, too) and requested for a higher level management assistance, depending on how their day is going, they may take the call and see what they could do for you without any guarantees as some events are still in the works for which they have no control. This is assuming you are courteous and not yelling. YMMV.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234