Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipster
    Regarding Java can the 700p use the 650 version on palm.com? If not where should I look? Thanks.
    Indeed, the 700p seems to run the 650 Java files from IBM just fine. Available via Palm's website. Although the 700p isn't on the list of devices, choosing the 650 works (no SN verification).

Another vote for Kmaps, here.
    it works fine on my Treo 700p. Ben
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I haven't tried Kmaps, but I use OnDemand's maps because they are integrated with the 411 search capabilities. I can search for a business or residence, add the contact info from search results into my palm phonebook, get directions and view an area map all within one app. Its great when I'm on the road and want to find the nearest Dunkin' Donuts for an iced coffee
    So I finally installed Kmaps. I was quite disappointed to find that the Kmaps implimentation of local search is not the same as google maps.

I need to be able to find a bussiness (say Pizza) and see all the pizza stores (well at least the closest 3) on the screen in relation to me, in order to make any decision. If it can only show one at a time, I might as well use DA.

Plus scrolling on screen is way too slow. My finger move from left to right, and Kmaps will take 3 sceonds to respond, and then another 7-10 seconds to download the maps. Much slower than TomTom's map. Of course TomTom won't do direction calculation if your GPS is off; plus it's local interest is very out of date. But then I can't show more then one location on the Kmaps either. maps.google.com has spoiled me!

Also I don't think it can do "search business in the current map position" either can it?
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    So I finally installed Kmaps. I was quite disappointed to find that the Kmaps implimentation of local search is not the same as google maps.

I need to be able to find a bussiness (say Pizza) and see all the pizza stores (well at least the closest 3) on the screen in relation to me, in order to make any decision. If it can only show one at a time, I might as well use DA.

Plus scrolling on screen is way too slow. My finger move from left to right, and Kmaps will take 3 sceonds to respond, and then another 7-10 seconds to download the maps. Much slower than TomTom's map. Of course TomTom won't do direction calculation if your GPS is off; plus it's local interest is very out of date. But then I can't show more then one location on the Kmaps either. maps.google.com has spoiled me!

Also I don't think it can do "search business in the current map position" either can it?
    Couldn't agree more. Way to slow and I have EVDO. I'm also spoiled by Google maps. I sure wish google would have a mobile maps for palms. It odd that they have mobile maps that work on the cheap phones, but the most expensive phones around like the Treo, no google maps. Is it really that hard to get google maps on palm??? Kmaps does a good job, but it's got a long way to go. I'd be willing to pay to have a good, fast mapping program that does what google maps does.
    Does anyone know if Kmaps will support gps in the future? I tried to email them, I didn't get a response. I have been using wm 5 for awhile and I want to switch to the 700p. I found a map program for wm 5 from www.mapforpda.com which downloads the maps ota (from google, yahoo, etc) as your go like kmaps, and also has gps support. It works great for being free. I might just have to spend the money and get tomtom.
    My Kmaps doesn't seem to use the saved map data at all. There is a gmaps folder on my card but every time I go back to the same zip code it downloads the maps again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair
    Just wondering, have you tried Earthcomber? This is a great aplication, the worst part is you do have to do all of the work on your home computer then download the information either to your device or to your card, but it does store all of the maps that you download, it will give you driving directions, and you can build lists of information that you want it to download and store such as restaurants, gas stations hotels and such, when you do a search it will even give you gas stations based on price, the only real problem, if you can call it a problem is it will not display a route on the map for your driving directions, but I understand they are working on this.
    Terry
    The version of EarthComber coming very soon has Over the Air map downloads. It's not quite the way I would personally like it to be, but you can download maps directly within the program. If it's more convenient than http://earthcomber.com/mobile/ I'm not sure, but it does work pretty well.

Visual routes are still not coming soon, however.. Hopefully next release
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234