Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Well I'm out of town, went to use kmaps and all I'm getting is java errors.......

With mapopolis how do you just search for resturant in Podunk Missouri?

Do I have to go to their website and download the map first?
    I believe you do need the map installed in the treo, all of the information is contained in the map its self, I use Maopoplis and I love it, but have you tried earthcomber, I used it and liked it, once you have your favorites set up on the web and have all of that information downloaded it has a pretty complete search function.
    Terry
    Well I tried mapopolis, vindigo, handmark, rand McNally,,,,, and looked at a bunch others,,,,,,,, All of them are lousy compared to kmaps.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Where did you find the price of 24 bucks a year? Marc from Express "On Demand" That the subscription is 6.95 a month or 69 a year. He told me you cannot have partial subs anymore.
    I'm paying $6.99 a yr, but I thought I saw $24 for a yr deal, but evertime I look for the download stuff it only offered the $6.99 plan.
    I also do not get a map that covers the full screen. Depending on how the map gets renders usually there is a 1cm blank border of 2 of the edges. I can scroll, it will fill in, but then I lose the edges on the other side of the map.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Well I tried mapopolis, vindigo, handmark, rand McNally,,,,, and looked at a bunch others,,,,,,,, All of them are lousy compared to kmaps.

And Kmaps is great...unless your out of your service area.
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair
    And Kmaps is great...unless your out of your service area.
    Terry
    Are you talking about if you cant get a data connection? Because when you view maps in KMaps the maps are permanently stored on your card for offline viewing. So I guess you would need to view the areas you were going to travel before leaving a coverage area. I guess the major difference is that it might take quite a while to DL all the maps you need. But Ivan does have a desktop counter part that does a mass download and storage on the card for kmaps. But he hasn't publicly shared it with us.

The awesome thing about Kmaps it the fact that you can scroll the map which is just as good a dragging it just like on the desktop or with the midlet on PPC.

Java has thrown cr@ps 2 times on me causing kmaps to crash. But I found I can just delete java and re-download it on the treo from fastmail.fm file store.
  7.    #47  
    Are you talking about if you cant get a data connection? Because when you view maps in KMaps the maps are permanently stored on your card for offline viewing. So I guess you would need to view the areas you were going to travel before leaving a coverage area. I guess the major difference is that it might take quite a while to DL all the maps you need. But Ivan does have a desktop counter part that does a mass download and storage on the card for kmaps. But he hasn't publicly shared it with us.

The awesome thing about Kmaps it the fact that you can scroll the map which is just as good a dragging it just like on the desktop or with the midlet on PPC.

Java has thrown cr@ps 2 times on me causing kmaps to crash. But I found I can just delete java and re-download it on the treo from fastmail.fm file store.
    They more I play with Kmaps the more I like it. There are just a few very anoying features. 1-The maps only display on about a 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen unless I scroll around to get it to show the full screen. 2-Everytime you scroll you've got to wait while it connects and resets the screen. The same thing happens when you want to zoom in. I'm sure there are some techinical reasons for this, but it's still a pain. It would be nice if there were a way to have some of the maps (just the streets) on an sd card and any other info you needed could be downloaded from the net-i.e., location names, stores, landmarks, etc.

I thought once we got EVDO one could fly through Kmaps, but I guess EVDO is still not cable modem or T1 speeds? Maybe one day....
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54
    They more I play with Kmaps the more I like it. There are just a few very anoying features. 1-The maps only display on about a 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen unless I scroll around to get it to show the full screen. 2-Everytime you scroll you've got to wait while it connects and resets the screen. The same thing happens when you want to zoom in. I'm sure there are some techinical reasons for this, but it's still a pain. It would be nice if there were a way to have some of the maps (just the streets) on an sd card and any other info you needed could be downloaded from the net-i.e., location names, stores, landmarks, etc.

I thought once we got EVDO one could fly through Kmaps, but I guess EVDO is still not cable modem or T1 speeds? Maybe one day....
    Just wondering, have you tried Earthcomber? This is a great aplication, the worst part is you do have to do all of the work on your home computer then download the information either to your device or to your card, but it does store all of the maps that you download, it will give you driving directions, and you can build lists of information that you want it to download and store such as restaurants, gas stations hotels and such, when you do a search it will even give you gas stations based on price, the only real problem, if you can call it a problem is it will not display a route on the map for your driving directions, but I understand they are working on this.
    Terry
    They more I play with Kmaps the more I like it. There are just a few very annoying features. 1-The maps only display on about a 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen unless I scroll around to get it to show the full screen. 2-Every time you scroll you've got to wait while it connects and resets the screen. The same thing happens when you want to zoom in. I'm sure there are some techinical reasons for this, but it's still a pain. It would be nice if there were a way to have some of the maps (just the streets) on an sd card and any other info you needed could be downloaded from the net-i.e., location names, stores, landmarks, etc.
    Kmaps works the same as the other map programs. With the other programs you download and view the maps you want. With KMaps you download and do the same. The difference is you download them a little piece at a time. After you have downloaded them then it is the same as the other programs, the maps come up quickly. The differences is you can't download a map of the city in one shot and for new searches you will download new data but then if it is in a area you have previously viewed on kmaps the maps come up quickly without downloading new data.

Also I found out that Textras was causing Kmaps to reset if I pressed the space bar while the cursor was blinking in the where text field.

##377 is a pretty useful tool
  10.    #50  
    Maybe this is the future of mobile map phones:
    http://www.geovector.com/

Really cool stuff. Don't see were it's for sale yet.
    Maybe this is the future of mobile map phones:
    http://www.geovector.com/
    Really cool stuff. Don't see were it's for sale yet.
    Have looked at the current owners of KMaps ----> http://www.ulocate.com/
    [QUOTE=wilson54]They more I play with Kmaps the more I like it. There are just a few very anoying features. 1-The maps only display on about a 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen unless I scroll around to get it to show the full screen.

Hi - if you change you configuration to load 9 tiles you will get a full screen rather than partial.

Andy
    I 2nd and 3rd and 4th that. I loked at the map with On Demand and Kmaps is actually a better implimentation. Ben
    I installed K maps to SD card - It won't let me adjust settings form menu-help -settings
    (to get the maps full screen size) - when I click settings - nothing happens. Is this because I have it on the SD card ???
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Re: Maps filling the screen - I found this:

Set the marker from the menu - then - move the marker to blank areas of the screen and it will connect and fill in the missing part of the map to fill the page - Cool!
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
  16.    #56  
    [QUOTE=Grundig]
    They more I play with Kmaps the more I like it. There are just a few very anoying features. 1-The maps only display on about a 1/3 to 1/2 of my screen unless I scroll around to get it to show the full screen.

Hi - if you change you configuration to load 9 tiles you will get a full screen rather than partial.

Andy
    Thanks, it works! With EVDO it loads pretty fast.

Another problem I have is when I bring up the Menu screen you can't scroll down the list with the 5 way button. You have to tap the item you want. When driving down the street it ain't easy. Any suggestions?
    While I await the next Kmaps update, I found that Switchboard.com provides a solid alternative.
    KMaps does allow use of the standard palm menu but java limitations won't let you scroll the menu with the 5way. That is a normal java limitation and should be true for all java applications that even use the standard palm menu. Don't quote me on that I may be full of it ;-)

Sorry I didn't know there were new post in this thread.

I keep mine set to DL only 1 tile initially and I jog in the needed direction 1 tile at a time since there in no EV in NOWHERE MISSOURI but this is where KMaps Is 10 times better than any other map program because you jog the map continousley filling the screen as you go (no loosing your place). Other map programs download a whole new screen which sux.
    Interesting - using switchboard.com - doesn't show a map link with opera mini browser but does with blazer browser.
    Hi Notjpr,

where is the option to do this "stored on your card for offline viewing."? I usually checkout the area I am travling anyhow... it'll probabaly load "fast" if it's on my SD, but I didn't see that option.

I currently use Eathercomber it's pretty much offline mode unless you want driving direction. just download the area you want onto SD and you are off.

Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast