Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'd like to be the 5th to say kmaps is an awesome free mapping program that works great on my 700p.

But does anyone know how to install a google jad?

On my PPC 6700 I'd browse to google.com/gmm but there google says "This doesn't work for your treo", Opera, Xiino, webpro, nor blazer can DL the jad.

I also opened IBM and put in file:\\\palm/Launcher/1.jad but is came up "No midlet there".

Any ideas.
    I got the files here... did not try em yet. Java is needed.

-CK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Here are the PRCs

-CK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by ckonkel
    Here are the PRCs

-CK

Hey good stuff. But what do I do with the 2 PRCs? One "installs" fine, but when i go to install the other it asks if I want to overwrite the first. What's the correct answer here. Doesn't seem to work so far on the 700p, but I'm going to give it another shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by K_FleXXX
    I tried an Vindigo 2.x version and the 700 resets everytime I select it.

I may need to verify if there is a current version. Vindigo does not list version info prior to downloading and installing.
    OK, since I had a subscription, I wanted to try Vindigo one more time before I gave up on it. So, I went to site, logged in and followed the steps via site to doa clean install via the site with the current updates and afterwards, Vindigo (same version as before) is now working great.

For those that wants Maps Vindigo is great and I use it more than mapquest of google when away from a PC.

I believe you can still use the free version and only get info for one city at a time.
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
    What I mean to say is that I can't install the google midlet into the java micro environment.

When you DL from google.com/gmm with a handheld it is automatically installed into the micro environment but I can't do that with any browser on the treo. I can place the jad on the device by other means but that doesn't install the midlet into the micro environment.

In the IBM prc you can call up a directory for installation from the URL field but IBM tells me there is no jar, jad, midlet at that directory.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will DL the massive 60 meg java environment from SunJava to the desktop Tuesday and see if there are any clues in an instruction pdf.

Thanks treo comrades
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome
    Hey good stuff. But what do I do with the 2 PRCs? One "installs" fine, but when i go to install the other it asks if I want to overwrite the first. What's the correct answer here. Doesn't seem to work so far on the 700p, but I'm going to give it another shot.

There were two JAD files, so I included both... Try one ore the other and see what luck you have. It freezes mine at the point where you accept or decline.

-CK
    Quote Originally Posted by ckonkel
    There were two JAD files, so I included both... Try one ore the other and see what luck you have. It freezes mine at the point where you accept or decline.-CK
    yup, same here. Shame, looks like it almost works too.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  9.    #29  
    I downloaded KMaps and while it looks good, I have to admit the Handmark Express is better. It loads faster and has a clearer map. Also, the driving instructions are easier to read. Yep, I know it's $24 a yr, but for the difference, I think its worth it. Just my opionion..

Anybody tried getting Google Earth to work on a Treo? Now that would be cool.
    Regarding Java can the 700p use the 650 version on palm.com? If not where should I look? Thanks.
    Im using Java 5.7.1
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Have you tried KMaps on the 700p? It's not giving me full screen maps.
    I had the same problem too initially. According to the developer of the application, to get the full screen, go to help->settings and increase the number of horizontal and vertical tiles to 3x3. I tried it and the result is great.
    I am currently using Mapopolis. Version 2.35 works well on the Treo700P . It cost $35.00 a year but youcan download all the maps you want on to your SD card! It does NOT use the net for directions! Awesome program with Awesome tech support!

Go to www.mapopolis.com

Kev
    SprintPCS has awesome retention plans! I am currently on a retention over a retention plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    On demand is included on the sprint 700P and is free.
    for 30 days it is free! Then if you want extra's it is 6.95 or close to that. Try Dir Assistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson54
    I downloaded KMaps and while it looks good, I have to admit the Handmark Express is better. It loads faster and has a clearer map. Also, the driving instructions are easier to read. Yep, I know it's $24 a yr, but for the difference, I think its worth it. Just my opionion..

Anybody tried getting Google Earth to work on a Treo? Now that would be cool.

Where did you find the price of 24 bucks a year? Marc from Express "On Demand" That the subscription is 6.95 a month or 69 a year. He told me you cannot have partial subs anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    for 30 days it is free! Then if you want extra's it is 6.95 or close to that. Try Dir Assistant.
    The Pay option that I get offers me a package of the On Demand Channels for $4.95/mo. The Channels that I'm offered in the package are TV Guide, Maps and Directions, Directory Asst. and Dictionary.

I think its worth it not to have a bunch of 3rd party apps potentially causing chaos on my handheld. And if I have issues with anything Sprint offers support.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    So, does the phone or sprint prompt you to sign up? I'm using it and I'm in the first 30 days. Will they automatically start charging or is there a warning?

thanks...
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klow
    I am currently using Mapopolis. Version 2.35 works well on the Treo700P . It cost $35.00 a year but youcan download all the maps you want on to your SD card! It does NOT use the net for directions! Awesome program with Awesome tech support!

Go to www.mapopolis.com

Kev
    Just wondering how did you get Mapopolis for $35.00?
    Thanks
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by gene
    So, does the phone or sprint prompt you to sign up? I'm using it and I'm in the first 30 days. Will they automatically start charging or is there a warning?

thanks...
    No, the channels that require a subscription will stop working and offer you the option to purchase. I am still within the 30 days, but periodically, when I try to access a channel I get the message that my trial will soon expire and it offers me the opportunity to "go ahead and purchase".

K
    Well I'm out of town, went to use kmaps and all I'm getting is java errors.......

With mapopolis how do you just search for resturant in Podunk Missouri?

Do I have to go to their website and download the map first?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast