1.    #1  
    Hi..

This particular problem has been bugging me for quite some time and I've searched a lot but can't find an answer as to why this is happening.

The problem:
    1. I use AlwaysOn, but the settings aren't restore after a reset. After a reset it always foes back to the defauls 30sec timer.

2. I use BDicty a lot as well, my fav dictionary for a very long time.. and I use the feature of invoking it through the command bar, that way it acts more or less like a DA and doesn't leave the current app I'm working on. Now the problem is that I have to change the settings to start it from the command bar manually after every reset.

Both these problems are something I never faced with my Tungsten T3.. I could reset it as many times as I wished but the settings were never lost.

There are a couple of other apps that show this strange behaviour as well. Just to be clear this is not a case of "lost preferences".. I've tried restoring from the saved n unsaved prefs and have done quite a bit of testing but nothing seems to work !!

Why this is such a big problem is b'coz I use these apps quite a bit... and I also have the automated "LookAtMe<Reset<Backup<LootAtMe<Reset" routine setup for every morning, which has given me a rock solid treo and I really don't remember when was the last time it crashed on it's own. So I can't change this.. and manually doing the Bdicty and AlwaysOn settings is proving a huge pain in the you know where

Kind of a long post, but thanks for looking into it and reading all of it.. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any info on the problem and help me out here!

Thanks in Advance.
  2.    #2  
    nobody????
    I use Menu-Backspace to pop-up BDicty. It works even after resets. I have no idea why you are losing the settings after reset. Maybe re-install Bdicty?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I use Menu-Backspace to pop-up BDicty.
    Thanks.. glad atleast somebody replied!!

And you're right, the settings aren't lost if triggered via the 'Menu+Backspace' hotkey, but are lost if the resident setting is set for the 'command bar'. Could you pls check if the settings are retained for you if triggering via the command bar.

Did a lot of testing, re-installed a couple of times, tried installing an older version.. heck i even hard reset my treo and installed just bdicty to check if there was a clash of any sort with any other app... but all in vain

I could trigger it via the menu-backspace combination just like u but it shows just the minutest of minute difference in palminternal's speed test (command bar trigger shows none)... and moreover, if somebody could find the cause then it would solve the problem with "AlwaysOn" as well.

Thanks.
    I don't think Always On leaves a preference or any kind of footprint or database at all, thus why you can't restore it back the way you've previously set it.

I also use Always On and sometimes find it a bit annoying too that it doesn't restore back to what I've previously set it. But it's such a small app (which I love) and I can forgive it for that alone so I try not to let it bother me. It would be nice to have some kind app that can set it every time it resets. But that's wishful thinking.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by maceyr
    I don't think Always On leaves a preference or any kind of footprint or database at all, thus why you can't restore it back the way you've previously set it.
    I was on a Tungsten T3 for quite some while before I got the Treo (carrying two devices was getting just too cumbersome!), and I've been using AlwaysOn almost from the time I bought the T3 and have never seen this behaviour. As mentioned in my first post, no matter how many times you reset the T3, the AlwaysOn setting would not change i.e. it would remain what u have set it and not revert to the default 30secs.

Ditto for BDicty... no matter how many resets, it would always show up in the command bar. I wish someone could atleast shed some light as to why is this happening.. even if there is no solution. One thing which I can say for sure is that it is due NVFS [...], what's exactly happening is what I'd like t know.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    alright, so I thought it'd be worth a shot putting it in the rom... but still no go

so any ideas wise guys... anybody?
    Hmm. I had it on my Zire 71 and it didn't retain the settings so I'm surprised that you were able to do it on your T3.

Tried to lock it with Resco Locker and no. Still doesn't retain the settings.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  9.    #9  
    vice-versa.... i'm surprised it didn't retain settings for you on your zire. I still have my T3 and checked it again by resetting the T3, no settings lost! and as for resco locker... that's the first thing i tried as well

right now i have set it up as a favorite button and assigned the letter 'A' to it. i also use butler's KLaunch so that I can launch it from no matter where i am by just pressing (and holding) 'A'. but i guess i'm just too finnicky and still find doing it manually a nuisance, only 'coz i never had to touch it again after installing it once on my T3

anyways... i hope somebody who could really tell us what's happening takes a look at this thread and cares to share some info abt it.
    Last edited by viper_; 06/03/2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    And you're right, the settings aren't lost if triggered via the 'Menu+Backspace' hotkey, but are lost if the resident setting is set for the 'command bar'. Could you pls check if the settings are retained for you if triggering via the command bar.
    I hardly ever use the Command Bar. In fact, I have forgotten how to invoke the Command Bar !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    If BDicty is based on the same code as SlovoEd, and I get the feeling it is, then I lose my settings if I only have one of the two resident settings ticked. As long as I tick both the settings will survive a reset.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  12.    #12  
    I too thought it was the same as SlovoEd, but I guess there is some difference after all.. as I can have only one resident setting, not two

One more thing, I think I forgot to thank you for the overlay file to change the position of the shortcut symbol. That was something that had been bothering me as well.. and it's cool how after complaining so much you finally took things into your own hands, and not only came up with a solution but graciously shared it on TC as well. Thanks a lot once again... and apologies for not thanking u earlier

Just out of curiosity... is there any way to have a full wallpaper in the main phone app. No matter what I try,it leaves me with a blank white bar at the bottom and the space isn't covered (both favorites and calendar events have been unchecked). Could it be done via some overlay file or something... 'coz that's one thing that's been irritating me for quite some time as well.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the thanks!
    Not sure about the phone screen thing.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Not sure about the phone screen thing.
    dang! i guess i'll just have to take it with a pinch of salt... just like quite a few other ludicrous things abt the treo

i'd love to go for the 700p when it's out in gsm, but since the country i live in doesn't have umts yet, i don't know how much of a difference the upgrade is gonna make. and am i the only one who doesn't like the shape of the 700p?

coming back to topic... if anyone has any suggestions, do let me know!

thanks.
  15.    #15  
    just to go a little off-topic one more time... i finally indulged in 'skinning/theming' my treo. i've finally given up on trying to get rid of the blank wite bar i get at the bottom of the screen when i uncheck both calendar events and favorite buttons, and the wallpaper just doesn't cover the whole screen.

this is the best i could come up with at present... and i do find it kinda cool so had it show it to somebody. it really is pretty sharp n vibrant on my treo and though the screenshot doesn't do complete justice to it.. here it is:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3...hot00128us.jpg

coming back to the topic.. somebody help me with the bdicty/alwayson situation
    Last edited by viper_; 06/05/2006 at 05:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper_
    Just out of curiosity... is there any way to have a full wallpaper in the main phone app.
    Maybe this allows it? You can ask the author ...
    http://www.79bmedia.com/skinner650
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM