Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Has anyone signed up for MobiTv? and if so, have you installed the 700p client (different from the 650)... does this give you better quality??

I had it on my 650 & I found it to be just "OK". It seemed like more like a "look at what my phone can do" type of thing... it was NOT on the same lines as Pocket Tunes Deluxe, where I found the streaming quality to be useful. I had MobiTV through Sprint on my 650... & it only had cost me $5 a month after my Vison $5/month softward discount... can you see why Sprint no longer offers it for the 700p? MobiTV's interface is soooooooo much better & all the channels work.

And don't get me started on Sprint's way of selling you channels (I specifically bought a better satellite receiver for Directv so that I could filter out all the channels that I don't subscribe to... Sprint take notice!)
    Orb works perfectly on the 700p. If you have a TV Tuner Card installed on your pc, then you can stream any tv station you can watch at home, on the 700p. You can also stream your entire MP3 collection, photos, and videos. This is even SUPPORTED by Sprint. Sprint is one of the advertisers on Orb's website. IMO video quality is superior to Sprint and MobiTV's offering.

www.orb.com

I have been playing with this for several months now and it is the BEST. Only requirment is to have a always on connection at home, and there may be some tweaking required on your firewall.
    Last edited by boboone; 06/11/2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add title
    Bo
    FWIW, I found "Live" here on the SprintPCS web site:
    Content Catalog > Applications: 09 Sprint TV Live
    Sprint TV LIVE is over 20 channels of LIVE TV including: FOX News, ABC News Now, FOX Sports, NFL Network, Discovery, TLC, Weather, Music Videos, Comedy, and more! Powered by MobiTV.
    Subscription $9.99/mo
  4. edp
    I am thinking of upgrading from the Treo 600(I have MobiTV on this) to the new Treo 700p with EVDO. Why would I want to get SprintTV Access Plan ($15/mo) which only has ABC and Sirius Hits, when I can get the MobiTV and many stations for the price ($9/mo) that I am paying now? Doesnt make since unless MobiTV says it is not compatible with the Treo 700p(I have not asked them yet)!

The only real reason I would want the SprintTV is for the Unlimited Picture & Video Mail(included in the SprintTV Plus & Ultimate Pkgs). Unless of course, MobiTV does not work with the Treo 700p with EVDO...

1) Any comments on MobiTV vs SprintTV Pricing and what you get in packages?
    2) Does the MobiTV work on the new Treo 700p?
    EzEDP
    slingbox needs a palm client! can you use orb on the palm to control your satellite TV?

Quote Originally Posted by boboone
    Orb works perfectly on the 700p. If you have a TV Tuner Card installed on your pc, then you can stream any tv station you can watch at home, on the 700p. You can also stream your entire MP3 collection, photos, and videos. This is even SUPPORTED by Sprint. Sprint is one of the advertisers on Orb's website. IMO video quality is superior to Sprint and MobiTV's offering.

www.orb.com

I have been playing with this for several months now and it is the BEST. Only requirment is to have a always on connection at home, and there may be some tweaking required on your firewall.
    Quote Originally Posted by edp
    I am thinking of upgrading from the Treo 600(I have MobiTV on this) to the new Treo 700p with EVDO. Why would I want to get SprintTV Access Plan ($15/mo) which only has ABC and Sirius Hits, when I can get the MobiTV and many stations for the price ($9/mo) that I am paying now? Doesnt make since unless MobiTV says it is not compatible with the Treo 700p(I have not asked them yet)!

The only real reason I would want the SprintTV is for the Unlimited Picture & Video Mail(included in the SprintTV Plus & Ultimate Pkgs). Unless of course, MobiTV does not work with the Treo 700p with EVDO...

1) Any comments on MobiTV vs SprintTV Pricing and what you get in packages?
    2) Does the MobiTV work on the new Treo 700p?
    Well you need the Power Vision Access Plan for $15/month or else you'll be charged per KB everytime you use the web. Somewhere on here and on SprintUsers is a list of what comes with each level of Sprint TV (from the basic one to Ultimate).
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I am pissed that you can not order mobitv through sprint on the 700p since it is evdo and they want you to use crappy sprint TV. I like having it charged to my bill rather than a seperate bill on my credit card. GRRRRRR....
    Quote Originally Posted by headgeek
    Has anyone signed up for MobiTv? and if so, have you installed the 700p client (different from the 650)... does this give you better quality??

I had it on my 650 & I found it to be just "OK". It seemed like more like a "look at what my phone can do" type of thing... it was NOT on the same lines as Pocket Tunes Deluxe, where I found the streaming quality to be useful. I had MobiTV through Sprint on my 650... & it only had cost me $5 a month after my Vison $5/month softward discount... can you see why Sprint no longer offers it for the 700p? MobiTV's interface is soooooooo much better & all the channels work.

And don't get me started on Sprint's way of selling you channels (I specifically bought a better satellite receiver for Directv so that I could filter out all the channels that I don't subscribe to... Sprint take notice!)
    I used MobiTV on the 650 from the beginning, and agree that the picture was not very good. On the 700p, the picture is definitely improved. The picture comes up a lot faster. Also, a lot more stable than SprintTV. I've been testing them both, and MobiTV definitely wins. All of MobiTV channels are constantly streaming - none of this 1 or 2 minute clip nonsense that Sprint has. Since I'm a news junkie, I'm only really interested in streaming live news. MobiTV has MSNBC, SprintTV has FoxNews. That could sway your decision either way. I happen to love CNET TV on Mobi - shows latest gadgets and reviews.

The one nail in the coffin for SprintTV is that after about 2 minutes, SprintTV prompts you to press the center button to continue the stream. I guess they want to conserve bandwidth. If you're not staring at the screen at that particular moment, you lose the stream. MobiTV just stays on.

Oh, and when you spend your $10/month for MobiTV, you get the entire offering - no a la carte. One thing I did notice is that I think I used to get Animal Planet. Not anymore. Sprint probably had them remove it so they could sell it separately on SprintTV.

Still, MobiTV definitely wins for me.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz
    So I signed up for Power Vision Ultimate for $25, figuring I'd give the SprintTV channels a try for a month and see if I used it; if not, I'd switch to just the "access" plan. When I didn't see anything but the "ads" under "my channels", I called Support back and asked why not. The answer I got after the group huddle on the other end of the phone was, "Having Power Vision Ultimate just gives you the *right* to buy the Ultimate channels, you don't get them in the price". I start laughing and say that can't be right, that's not how its listed on the website, and they insist that's the way it is, one guy even comes on and says that's how he does it, $25 for Power Vision Ultimate and then $7.95/month extra for the "ultimate" TV channel #50.

Sounds stupid but they won't budge, so I actually try it; I subscribe to channel 50 for $7.95 and lo and behold it atually works.

I sleep on it and wake up pissed. So I call support back and ask for Treo 700p technical support. It takes ***49 minutes*** but I finally get a true tech support person on the line. I start with asking about the bluetooth DUN, he says yeah, you have to have the PAM plan (so I make a mental note to load the hack later, which I do and works brilliantly!), and then I ask him, "what's the difference between the three Power Vision plans? Is it the channels that are included?" Absolutly, he says. I explain what the front line support people told me and he can't believe it. He says, "we know we've been having problems with a lot of folks accounts showing the channels they are supposed to get with the package they pick, but the solution isn't to resell the channel again!!". He takes down a bunch of info and says he'll put a network ticket in. I tell him that most of the channels are getting a timeout as well, which he also notes. He tells me someone will get back to me, I thank him and hang up.

I was really surprised when an hour later I got a call from someone in network support saying the have recoded my account and it should be correct now. I go into "manage my content" and sure enough, it now says under Sprint TV Ultimate that "these channels are included in your plan, you may now download the content". Gone is the indication that I have to pay another $7.95/month. The tech also said they are seeing the same timeouts that I am on their lab phone and they're working on it (best guess is it has something to do with the system upgrade that happened late Friday night). So far a couple of channels have started working but most still time out.

So, if you're not seeing the channels you should for your Power Vision plan when you go into Sprint TV, then block out an hour or so to be on hold and get transfered to 700p tech support so they can fix it for you!

JT
    I know what you mean. I signed up for the middle-tier service of Power Vision, which I thought included the TV channels. When I discovered that I had to pay a monthly fee for each channel, I was like WTF!!!!
    If anyone is interested, I just went to handmark.com and signed up for MobiTV for my 700p. A quick Google search found a promotion code of "cb25online" that I used at checkout and I saved $2.00 off the $9.99 price. I am hoping that this will result in a recurring $2.00 off as it is a monthly subscription. If not, no big deal. If it is, great! $7.99 for MobiTV is quite a deal I think.

By the way, I think you can sign up for MobiTV straight from their web site and their billing FAQs state that it will bill to your Sprint account. When I signed up via Handmark it bills to my credit card seperately.
    What channels do you get form MobiTV?
    Hi there - I've been really bad about reading the boards lately, but I can shed some light on this:

-MobiTV for 700p sold via Sprint is in final testing, and should be ready any day now. I'll post here when it's passed certification, but for all I know, it already has. Sorry for the wait! In the meantime, as has been said, you can buy it from Handmark.

-MobiTV provides the video feeds for Sprint TV, but Sprint provides the user interface. The bandwidth is capped to protect Sprint's network; one reason Orb looks a little better sometimes is that they have no cap. But it's really dependent on the content and the network conditions; time of day has a lot to do with it.

-We just launched MobiTV for Windows Mobile, so now you 700w people can get in the game. It looks fantastic on EV-DO, and we've got our full cable-box style channel guide in there as well. You can buy it from our website (http://www.mobitv.com) or from Handango. I'll post a top level thread announcing this, but please do try it out and let us know what you think!

Cheers --
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv
    Hi there - I've been really bad about reading the boards lately, but I can shed some light on this:

-MobiTV for 700p sold via Sprint is in final testing, and should be ready any day now. I'll post here when it's passed certification, but for all I know, it already has. Sorry for the wait! In the meantime, as has been said, you can buy it from Handmark.

-MobiTV provides the video feeds for Sprint TV, but Sprint provides the user interface. The bandwidth is capped to protect Sprint's network; one reason Orb looks a little better sometimes is that they have no cap. But it's really dependent on the content and the network conditions; time of day has a lot to do with it.

-We just launched MobiTV for Windows Mobile, so now you 700w people can get in the game. It looks fantastic on EV-DO, and we've got our full cable-box style channel guide in there as well. You can buy it from our website (http://www.mobitv.com) or from Handango. I'll post a top level thread announcing this, but please do try it out and let us know what you think!

Cheers --

Thanks for getting on our board. When are we going to see us entertainment channels like nbc, cbs, etc.?
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv

Cheers --
    Is the video quality improved any from the 650 to the 700p?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I actually signed up and downloaded MobiTV off of Handmark's site last night. It works really well, but the interface is not at all like SprintTV, which looks mostly like Blazer. I don't have screenshot software, but if someone can recommend one that I can quickly install via an email (as opposed to hotsync, since I'm at work), then I'd be happy to make one.

In any case, the image quality is much better than SprintTV, at least on some of the channels as far as I can tell. Their channel numbers go up to 50, but only 30 of them are listed in the "guide." I'm not sure how many of these are actual live feeds, but probably most are? It's a very simple and straightforward interface, which is good in some ways, but I also feel like it could use some more custimization features (favorite channels, hotkeys to get to a given channel. For navigation, you either can channel up/down, or go to the "guide" and scroll till you get to the channel you want. Also, bringing MobiTV up for the first time takes a good 10-15 seconds, and exiting it take probably 5 seconds or so...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

The image quality is much improved in EV-DO areas on the 700p, yes, and it scales back to the 650 levels in 1xRTT coverage. Content, all I can tell you is that we're working on it, and we'd already have it if it were up to us .
    is orb free?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddieg
    is orb free?
    Yes. Currently -- as some are fond of pointing out.

Orb has been working great for me -- being able to access all 74 of my non-digital cable stations (but that includes a bunch of crap channels), pre-recorded programs, audio collection, etc. Haven't played with it outside of EvDO, however. ymmv
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    I'm on a "fringe" area for EVDO. 10 miles up the road - no problem. Here ... dial up. (I'm told before the end of the year for EVDO, we'll see) ... Anywho - what kind of quality can I expect with either MobiTV or SprintTV on my 700p. Are the demo channels and the commercial for MobiTV indicative of my quality until EVDO gets to me?
    - Oh - and I'm assuming this stuff sucks the life out of a battery at a pretty good pace?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast