1.    #1  
    I use a Sprint Treo 600 that recently started resetting (no new software to blame it on). I plan to take it to a Sprint store for service. I have been paying the replacement insurance fee and am past my contract limit. I understand that some people in similar situations are now being offered a 650 as a replacment rather than another 600. If this happens to me, what additional stuff will I need and/or should I ask them for to support a 650? I'm thinking about things like a charger, sync cable, manual, CD or anything that I might find out later I really need if I can't go back to a 600. Is there any convenient source to tell me whether commercial Palm software I have for the 600 will or will not run on a 650?

As a possibly related issue, I have been pondering the 700p. Would getting a 650 as a replacement now affect my being able to get the Sprint promo deals for upgrading to a 700 in the near future? It has occurred to me that having a 650 in hand might put me in a better position for an upgrade, either through the Palm/Powertrade trade-in program or selling on eBay.

Any comments or suggestions before I visit the store? Thanks.
    i still got a third 600 couple weeks ago
  3.    #3  
    Understand, and that would be fine with me. I got mine replaced twice about a year ago, both times for screens that were failing. I just want to be prepared if they offer a 650. For example, should I turn that down if they can't/don't provide the things that come in the box with a new 650 and which didn't come with a 600? I just don't know what those items are and what the differences are between the units that might mean I need something else to support a 650.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, Perry! Read both of your links and consider them excellent references. I feel a little lame-brained for having looked in the T600 discussions before posting rather than in T650 discussions.

If I read your suggestions correctly, it seems it would be a bad idea to accept a replacement 650 (if one were actually offered) if it didn't come with the 650 CD with the matching software. Is that correct?

The other part of my question relates to matching supporting hardware that I would need. Any comments or suggestions on that? (Yes, I may be anyl-retintuv in pushing this topic so far before even talking to Sprint, but that miss-spelled characteristic might be common to many Treo-nerds.)

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J
    Thanks, Perry! Read both of your links and consider them excellent references. I feel a little lame-brained for having looked in the T600 discussions before posting rather than in T650 discussions.

If I read your suggestions correctly, it seems it would be a bad idea to accept a replacement 650 (if one were actually offered) if it didn't come with the 650 CD with the matching software. Is that correct?

The other part of my question relates to matching supporting hardware that I would need. Any comments or suggestions on that? (Yes, I may be anyl-retintuv in pushing this topic so far before even talking to Sprint, but that miss-spelled characteristic might be common to many Treo-nerds.)

Thanks again.

Hi Dr J !!

Yes -- if they offer a replacement 650 - it must come with the all of the original equipment in the box -- you will need the CD and manual and cable.

The connect and charging port changed from the 600 to the 650 -- so any car charger or other connectors you bought will not go up to the 650. However, 650 up to 700P did remain the same -- so if you decide to go with the 650 for awhile -- any cable/chargers you buy for that will go up to the 700P.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/29/2006 at 07:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Mine came with the CD, a bible of an owners manuel, a wall charger, an ear bud, a nifty little adaptor that made it so I could use my old samsung phone, cant remember the model number but it used a little round prong for the charger.
    Also when I upgraded I came from a samsung I500 (not the same phone as mentioned above) when I did the first hot sync with the 650 it told me there where programs that might give me problems and did not sync them over, I have nad no problems, but this is not to say I would not have followed the instructions from this site had I known about them.
    Any way I love my 650 and have no plans of going to the 700, just thought I mention it.
    Terry
  8.    #8  
    First of all, thanks for the responses and suggestions. And now for the rest of the story....

I took the T600 to a Sprint store three days ago. They said they would replace it but didn't have any in stock and would have to order me another T600 that should arrive in a few days. The next day, I decided to go ahead and buy a Treo 700p, and I have posted my negotiations with the retentions department in a 700p discussion thread. The new unit is supposedly on its way to me now.

This evening I went back to the Sprint store to pick up the replacement T600, and they gave me a T650! They provided the charger and sync cable, and after I pointed out that I needed more they gave me a manual and software CD.

I had planned to put the T600 on eBay this week, but it turns out I will be selling a T650. This unit looks brand new -- is there any way to tell a new 650 from a reconditioned 650?

I haven't completely decided, but my initial feeling is that I won't do the installation of the T650 desktop software and sync. I think I'll just use the T650 as a phone without software and personal data for a few days and do the installation/sync after I receive the T700p. Does that sound reasonable?

I am a happy camper -- good deal on the T700p and a better unit than expected to offer on eBay.
  9.    #9  
    Whooops! Let's rewind that a bit -- things are not always as they appear.

I have posted my follow-up under the Treo650 discussions, since that now appears to be the appropriate place. Please take a look.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=116223

(hope that is the right way to post a link to another thread -- never tried it before)