Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    it would be an interesting answer to hear. It's the same OS. What's really different? What change could Palm have made that makes it incompatible? Is it something that Seidio could fix or could've forseen and addressed? Or is it strictly Palm's fault?

Just another blunder on Palm's side with a lackluster 4th generation device (well third in this design).
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J
    I have posted versions of this question in two other threads (and it is on-topic for this thread), but I have not received any responses. I am hoping that someone following this thread has the answer and will post it: Does anyone know whether this is a Seidio-specific issue or something we should expect from accessories supplied by other vendors? In alternate wording, what is the difference between the 650 and the 700p that required Seidio to make a change in their product, and is this something that is likely to affect a wide range of accessories?
    I suspect that there were changes in the dimensions of the 700p and the position of the contacts that would cause a problem with most 'cradle' type accessories.
    Well considering the charging cradles for the 650 seem to work for the 700, I don't think that's the culprit.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This issue came up for me because I am considering the GPS bundle offered by buygpsnow.com and posted a question about an Arkon car mount they offer. A reply from johnhboyd noted the 650 vs 700p compatibility issue on the Seidio units.

I submitted a question to the sales support team at buygpsnow.com over the weekend and received this response this morning:

Actually, the CM775 works on the Treo 650/700w and the new 700p as well because they all uses the same stereo and power charging plugs.

No, we think the Seidio issue is strictly on their product line and Arkon CM775 does not have any issue to work with the 700w or p at all.
    Now that response could be sales talk for "buy ours, not theirs", but it sounds like a clear claim that I shouldn't have a problem with that Arkon unit. Any opinions on this? (I am particularly interested in opinions that are based on actual knowledge of the Arkon and/or Seidio car mounts or knowledge of Treo issues that affected the Seidio product.)
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    I don't think the Seidio compatibility issue is related to form factor of the 700P. In fact, I know it isn't. I took my G4850M car cradle apart and attached the connector directly to the 700P to make sure that all pins were in contact. Same problem. Only the charging worked. No sound or GPS.
    I grabbed the Seidio G2200S Charging Vechicle Mount last week for my 700p specifically because it was listed in the Treocentral Store as being compatible with the 700p. Problem is, audio doesn't work (through the treo's own speaker) when it's in this cradle and plugged in and charging. I can unplug the power cord and get audio, but as soon as I plug it back in the sound cuts out. Funny thing is I got a docking cradle and a USB charging/sync cord and sound works with both of them plugged in, it's just the Seido mount (and the only one I actually need to hear sound with to recieve GPS instructions). For now I just unplug the power cord while I'm navigating somewhere but I'm rather dissapointed.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    From these comments, I have a growing belief that it is a Seidio-only issue (of unknown origin, for now) and that I might be OK to go ahead with the Arkon mount. Is that what others are reading, or am I just being delusional in thinking that there is a solution for those of us who have not yet made a purchase?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    I grabbed the Seidio G2200S Charging Vechicle Mount last week for my 700p specifically because it was listed in the Treocentral Store as being compatible with the 700p. Problem is, audio doesn't work (through the treo's own speaker) when it's in this cradle and plugged in and charging. I can unplug the power cord and get audio, but as soon as I plug it back in the sound cuts out. Funny thing is I got a docking cradle and a USB charging/sync cord and sound works with both of them plugged in, it's just the Seido mount (and the only one I actually need to hear sound with to recieve GPS instructions). For now I just unplug the power cord while I'm navigating somewhere but I'm rather dissapointed.
    Our product group is looking into this. Will post the response this afternoon.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    I don't think the Seidio compatibility issue is related to form factor of the 700P. In fact, I know it isn't. I took my G4850M car cradle apart and attached the connector directly to the 700P to make sure that all pins were in contact. Same problem. Only the charging worked. No sound or GPS.
    Unlike Treo 650, 700P design will not allow the audio out through the connector. This is the reason you can not get the audio out when you use Treo 650 cradle on 700P.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    Last edited by seidioseidio; 06/13/2006 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Unlike Treo 650, 700P design will not allow the audio out through the connector. This is the reson you can not get the audio out when you use Treo 650 cradle on 700P.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com

I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for the cradle with built in speaker then. Thanks for the quick response though, and I hope we're able to get a solution working soon.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    That seidio cradle (G4850M) looked attractive, but pricey. I jumped on the telenav deal though, $60 for 6 months and they'll send you a free bluetooth gps, supposed to be SiRF III too!
    I opted for the Telenav deal too after being burned by the incompatibility issue of my G4850M that I just bought in January. I did have to buy a new 4100 cradle but next time I'm not going to have to buy the GPS receiver again. The Bluetooth Telenav/Globalsat 339 receiver works very well for me. My only gripe is that it has a single off/on(soft) power switch so it can't be left on for auto power up when you get in your car. You have to manually turn it on. It also shuts off after 10 minutes without a bluetooth link up to save power. Overall, it's a good alternative.
  13.    #33  
    But, I don't want a Bluetooth GPS unit because then I can't use my BT headset to receive or make calls while I am driving. And, I don't want the added cord for a wired unit. However, the market gives us each alternatives, so we can buy what we need.
    so if that's the truth, then the question is why would Palm change something like that? Seems like a rather critical change, but it doesn't seem like there's an apparent reason for it.

Unlike Treo 650, 700P design will not allow the audio out through the connector. This is the reason you can not get the audio out when you use Treo 650 cradle on 700P.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
    I don't know whether to expect a timely reply or not, but I forwarded Mr. Chang's comment to Palm customer support and asked (1) whether it is true and (2) if it is true will this impact the performance of similar products from all vendors. If I get a reply, I will post it here.
    Dr J

Well, I got a reply from Palm, but not a very useful one:

we cannot make a comment about the statement made by Seidio rep. Any updates about Treo 700p will be posted officially announced on our website at <http://www.palm.com/us>www.palm.com/us Keep yourself updated to any updates by visiting our website regularly.
    It seems that Palm is not willing to make a statement about compatibility or lack thereof between the 650 and the 700p. I sent a reply asking whether I had interpreted that correctly.
    Dr J

Here's ya answer:

I took a chance, and called [Seidio's] offices. I was put through to an excellent gentleman, named Anthony. He was kind enough to treat me as if any of this was actually my business (believe it or not, many people just aren't impressed that I am a deputy blog editor...philistines!). Anthony then took the time to explain that in order for their products to work with the 700p, developers have to rigorously follow the classification routes specified by Palm; whereas with the 650 they did not. That, he told me, is why these devices fail to work with the 700p.

I still don't know what-the-hell a classification route is. However, I now have an answer, I have sent it onto Palm, and I have a lot of respect for the type of people who represent Seidio. Next time you are looking for a good company to deal with, keep that in mind.
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...you_seidi.html
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Is the output from the Treo speaker loud enuf to still justify the 4850m? There are some on ebay really cheap now... Does the GPS work tho???
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys
    Is the output from the Treo speaker loud enuf to still justify the 4850m? There are some on ebay really cheap now... Does the GPS work tho???
    Speaker isn't too bad, but I use the cassette adapter for audio and TomTom Voice, and my bluetooth headset for telephone.

GPS is fantastic, although I have a couple of glitches in specific places in the maps. I would feel lost without it, and I can read a map and find my way very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys
    If ya read the reviews on TC Reviews pages, the author notes a) that teh GSM model has no speaker and b) ya don't miss it......Using one for 14 months or so, I agree.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast