1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the Treo 700p has push support?

I currently just use the client version of Outlook with POP e-mail, but I'd like to change over to using a hosted Exchange service and having my Treo 700p sync e-mail/contacts/calendar/etc wirelessly (blackberry-style). And ideas on how to make this happen?
    The search "before you post" hounds are going to jump all over this one

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115143

Last edited by imageone; 05/27/2006 at 02:17 PM.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Versamail for the 700P is supposed to support ActiveSync, which should allow you to sync your various Outlook data, however I don't believe it's push. Goodlink may be push, but I don't know enough about it to say. ChatterEmail of course is push, but only does email - I use it with my hosted exchange account for that purpose, but have to sync my other data via a manual sync processs...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I think Chatter has an Exchange plug-in now. Chatter has become a great product. Try the 30 day trial.
    http://www.chatteremail.com/
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I think Chatter has an Exchange plug-in now. Chatter has become a great product. Try the 30 day trial.
    http://www.chatteremail.com/

Chatter has an EX plug-in which only provides push to mail. The developer is working on sync of contacts and calendar.
    I have been using Snapper mail Enterprise ed. for a couple of years now, i always wondered what the big deal about Chatter Mail was until i tried it a few days ago. WoW its like night and day i dont think i can ever use Versamail or Snappermail again. Great product. Hopefully they will come up with a solution to sync contacts and calendar
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys! Anyone know of a hosted Exchange service that's good for small shops (1 to 5 users) and is Treo-friendly?
    1and1 gives you 1gb for $6.99/mo and it is supposed to support IDLE if you go the Chatter IMAP route. It's about the lowest price I have found from a large vendor.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/MailExchange

I use my own Exchange server, but setting up and maintaining one is not for everyone.
    Last edited by stroths; 05/27/2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I did lots of homework on hosted Exchange back in November. I couldn't be more pleased with the personalized service from Frank Zidar (zidar.com). For $10/month, I get 200 MB, server-side spam filtering, and IMAP with IDLE (so it's Chatter friendly). There's been virtually no down time.

(If you do eventually choose him as your host, please let him know that I referred you.)
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoInCollege
    Thanks guys! Anyone know of a hosted Exchange service that's good for small shops (1 to 5 users) and is Treo-friendly?
    www.themessagecenter.com
    I use chatter and love it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    I have been using Snapper mail Enterprise ed. for a couple of years now, i always wondered what the big deal about Chatter Mail was until i tried it a few days ago. WoW its like night and day i dont think i can ever use Versamail or Snappermail again. Great product. Hopefully they will come up with a solution to sync contacts and calendar

Snapper had years - it seems - to catch up and they just can't seem to get it done. I wish we had a developer like Marc for every category of PalmOS software.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    1and1 gives you 1gb for $6.99/mo and it is supposed to support IDLE if you go the Chatter IMAP route. It's about the lowest price I have found from a large vendor.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/MailExchange

I use my own Exchange server, but setting up and maintaining one is not for everyone.
    I've been using 1and1 for a while now, and it works great. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is that if you have your own domain name like I do, you have to host it with their registrar, you can't just point your m-records or whatever to their servers. Other than that, everything has worked great, and I've been using it with Chatter for almost 2 years now.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I use hosted exchange server: 4smartphone.com. $6.99 a month. 1 gig storeage. Works without a hitch.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I just talked to these guys and they seem really on top of things. They have the latest version of GoodLink and are already doing push for some 700p users.

Has anyone here used these guys or GoodLink with any service for their 700p? Does it work well?
    The ChatterEmail developer has promised two-way "push" sync for most Exchange functions for a while now. Hopefully, we will see something soon and our Palm OS wireless sync issues will be history.
    One thing to note about the hosted Exchange providors that are reeeally cheap (i.e. under $7)...they are known as "budget hosters" in the industry and are definitely not the ones you turn to for an "always up" connection. In other words, larger companies could not rely on budget hosting companies for misssion critical performance.
    Regardless...the 700P works great with GoodLink. Just make sure that you find a good hosting companies to use the service. And you should have to pay an activation fee either!

- Thanks for the nice comment about The Message CEnter TreoInCollege. I will tell the sales guys (I assume that is who you spoke with) and pump their ego
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
  18.    #18  
    I've finally taken the advice on this forum and signed up for hosted Exchange with The Message Center (which is excellent) and Good Mail (which has made me even more obsessive about checking my e-mail than I used to be).

I'm going crazy over the Time Zone translation though since going on my first trip since getting Good setup.

My setup is:
    Desktop w/ Outlook
    iBook for travel w/ Entourage
    Treo 700p w/ Good

I'm based in NY and just enter my appointments into Outlook at whatever the local time would be (e.g. if a appointment on the West Coast is at 1 pm PST, I enter it in for 1 pm). Now that I'm on the West Coast, I see the Treo's started translating those times (e.g. that 1 pm PST appointment would show up for 11 am). I then set Good to stick on EST and not use the Treo's local time, and that seems to have fixed it. Is that the best strategy for time zone manage?
    Unfortunately you will need to always be "based" in one area with mobile devices. The reason is that although your Treo syncs with the local cellular system to retrieve the local time, the Treo is synching with Exchange...which is also synching with Outlook - which is on your local time of the location on the east coast (in your case). Make sense?

We always advize business travellers to schedule events as though they are in the home town where Outlook is synched with. I hope this helps.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
  20.    #20  
    I've found it works well to schedule events wherever the local time is of where I'll be, and set the Time Zone in Good to match my hometown. That way the alerts come at the right time. It's working great, but is totally screwing up Entourage on my laptop, which makes the adjustment. Any ideas?