Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my 700p yesterday and have been playing with it since (with a couple hour time out to see X-Men with my son). I've had the 600 and 650. Early impressions:

The good:

1. Bluetooth. This phone finally works with my Infiniti. The 650 would pair up only once I initiated a call on the phone or a call came in. Even then, there was a delay and it would sometimes just not work. On top of that, I couldn't use any of the voice activation features of the car. The 700p works perfectly with the car.

2. Web surfing: Okay, EV-DO is not the same as cable broadband, but it finally makes real Web browsing possible. The old 1x was so slow, I would rarely use it for browsing.

3. Memory: Yeah! This thing has a lot of internal memory available. I have a 1 gig card, but haven't had to put any apps on it, yet. I'm sure I will, but it's nice having all of that space.

4. Other upgrades: Palm has added some other nice features, such as the ability to set the ringtone to escalate and a vibrate, then ring mode. It also has a voice recorder, pTunes and Docs to Go. These were previously available with add on apps, but now you have it out of the box.

5. Accessories: It uses the same accessories as the 650. This means I don't have to run out and by everything new.

6. Camera: Better, but I've never reallly used a phone camera for picture taking. After all, it's still just a phone with a bad digital camera.

The Bad (my only major complaint):

The Buttons: I'm sure the new button layout made sense to someone somewhere, but not to me. At first, I thought I had just gotten used to the 650's layout, but I now realize that (for me, ymmv) this layout is a step back. First, the green button is only good for answering calls and bringing up a phone centric list. (It also acts as a phone "flash" button when in a call.) But there are several ways to answer calls, so the dedicated button is not needed. Also, the OS does not allow you to reassign the Home button. As others have reported, this makes using a separate launcher more difficult. It also means that two of the hardware buttons are of limited utility. Bad move. I assume someone will come up with a fix, but until then, it is annoying.

The Same:

1. Phone: As far as I can tell, the phone strength is about the same as the 650. It may be slightly better, but if it is, it is not a great improvement.

2. Speakerphone: Still pretty bad.

3. Screen: The same as the 650; much better than the 700w.

Bottom line: So far, I really like the 700p and am happy I did the upgrade from the 650. They had me at EV-DO and increased memory. The new button layout is a pain, but I can live with it until someone comes up with a fix.

Of course, as many have said before, this is all a very personal and subjective view. I'm on VZW and like it and the Treo 700p, while not perfect, works best for me. You may feel very differenlty and, of course, you would also be right.
    Keyguard has the time and date on it.
    Still trying to get used to the button placement. Have to retrain my brain, menu is on the bottom right.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Keyguard has the time and date on it.
    Still trying to get used to the button placement. Have to retrain my brain, menu is on the bottom right.
    You're right. Nice addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    You're right. Nice addition.
    Saves from entering the password to check the time.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    How about the problem with button presses answering the phone or silencing the ringer? Do we still have that problem?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    How about the problem with button presses answering the phone or silencing the ringer? Do we still have that problem?
    Be more specific. The ringer slider is still on top.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

Don't remember if there's a setting for this.
    On my 650, if the last thing I did was make a call, and the screen turns off after non-use, when I turned it back on, it took me to back to the last screen used. I like it like that.
    On the 700, it always defaults to the main Palm home page. Sorry, not correct terminology. The screen with all the Palm icons. Have to push the phone button to go back.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

The phone vibrates when you slide the ringer switch to off. Not earth shattering, but new.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

On my 650, if the last thing I did was make a call, and the screen turns off after non-use, when I turned it back on, it took me to back to the last screen used. I like it like that.
    On the 700, it always defaults to the main Palm home page. Sorry, not correct terminology. The screen with all the Palm icons. Have to push the phone button to go back.
    I wonder if you can change this in Preferences.
    Any issues with resetting that first plagued the 650 when it first came out?
  11.    #11  
    So far, no resets. I've been adding apps on one by one, as opposed to just using the 650 backup. It seems more stable than the 650, but I never had as many resets with the 650 as a lot of people seemed to have had.
    could it be that you're using the 4th button to turn it back on, which was the power on the 650 but is now the 'home' key?
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    The power button better not always bring you to the home/apps screen. That would be really stupid.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The phone vibrates when you slide the ringer switch to off. Not earth shattering, but new.
    Hmm. My 650 (GSM unbranded) does this now, with the factory firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    word, my Sprint 650 does too. Not new.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    That was already used on the Treo 600 (which I am still using). One of the best features IMHO. Also like the power switch on top of my 600 ....
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    word, my Sprint 650 does too. Not new.
    Mine didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    It now vibrates immediately upon activating the silent mode.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    The power button better not always bring you to the home/apps screen. That would be really stupid.
    The power button brings you back to where you shut it off.The home button turns it on and brings you to the home screen.
  20.    #20  
    I just found out how strong the Bluetooth is on the 700. My phone was paired with my car when I brought the car to the car wash. I got out of the car and walked through the building while my car was at least 15 ft away and beyond a glass wall. The phone was with me and when it rang and I answered, the car Bluetooth took over. The 650 barely worked when I was sitting in the car.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast