Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    my sentiments EXACTLY. Palm does not innovate, they perpetrate! Handspring were the true innovators. Bottom line is if the competition is not... well there is no competition to motivate Palm to really create a cutting edge "WOW" device. Palm is one step behind the competiton in fact. Lazy & greedy bastards is what I say. The Treo 300 & 600 were "WOW" devices to me. True innovation. Well coincidentally the innovations stopped after the 600. Well guess who started making the Treos starting with the 650. Palm!! Suck azz...
    Here are some observations I have after about 8 hours use. First, I really like my 700p, don't get me wrong; but if I had to do it over again I'd probably just keep my 650. EVDO Blazer is faster than on my 650 but not enough that I say wow and jump up and down. Sprint TV is a neat feature to show off to your family and friends but I could do the same thing with MobiTV on my 650. I don't see myself keeping the higher level of PV after the free month. It's just not something I would use to warrant the monthly cost. I had already purchased pTunes Deluxe so having it in rom did nothing for me. Docs to Go is Docs to Go.

I guess the main thing I've noticed that I really do like much more than on my 650 is navigation within Blazer. Being able to back up a page and it not reloading and also having it position itself where the previously selected link is on a page is a big advance. Now whether this is worth upgrading I don't know. Also, you have to throw in the whole question of tethering. I am just hoping June Fabrics can come out with a new PDANet. I didn't tether often with my 650, but when I did do it I really needed it.

I know I've rambled here, but to summarize I'd say I'm just a little let down this morning after all the anticipation. If I could do it over, I would not have sold my 650 and bought the 700. I do have to say - Palm has a 30 day return policy; I may be keeping my eye on the status of the 700W for Sprint. If it looks like it is coming sooner than later, I may return my P within the 30 days and give the W a try. We'll see.
    Last edited by WolfpackFan; 05/31/2006 at 07:08 AM.
    wolfpack:

I think you summed it up for me also.

too bad blazer cannot take full advantage of the EVDO speeds.

the only cool factor i've seen from this upgrade is the ability to receieve phone calls while on the net.

I am sure however that there is potential for the 700P as more programs will be developed.
    I have the 700w and 700p right now and so far I'm not convinced the 700p is winning. Each has some pros and cons. I was really hoping that the 700p would blow the 700w out of the water but so far it hasn't happened! I like both but I may swap my 700p for a Sprint 700w once it's available later in June. Now that I have the SERO plan I definitely want Sprint over Verizon. Plus the TV on Sprint seems cool but I'm not convinced about the pricing structure for the tv stations. We shall see.
    Im absolutely loving the 700p. While the upgrades may look minor, they make the whole experience that much better.

EVDO Speeds are fantastic. Blazer speeds are good, not great, but much better than the 650. Other features, such as streaming internet radio at the gym this morning at 128k (used ~`15% of battery for 40 mins+) or downloading an audio book from audible on the device (~6 min for 40 MB).
    I just know a few killer apps will be making their way to use this new data pipe (i.e. Yahoo Music Engine or Rhapsody). To me, this is the reason to get the 700p. Better Bluetooth and camera are just gravy.

Negatives: The interface does feel a bit sluggish when entering or leaving some apps (Web Pro is the biggest offender), and I cant get used to the new button layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    wolfpack:
    the only cool factor i've seen from this upgrade is the ability to receieve phone calls while on the net.
    This alone for me is huge. I will not have to worry about missing calls if I leave Chatter online. I get true push functionality and can still get my calls.

Now I hope that when I get my 700P it really does work this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    my sentiments EXACTLY. Palm does not innovate, they perpetrate! Handspring were the true innovators. Bottom line is if the competition is not... well there is no competition to motivate Palm to really create a cutting edge "WOW" device. Palm is one step behind the competiton in fact. Lazy & greedy bastards is what I say. The Treo 300 & 600 were "WOW" devices to me. True innovation. Well coincidentally the innovations stopped after the 600. Well guess who started making the Treos starting with the 650. Palm!! Suck azz...
    What he said.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I notice that when I press the phone button to go to the dial pad, there's a slight lag.

Also, I really like how all four of the application buttons now power on the the Treo as well. I missed that "feature" from my Sony CLIEs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    This alone for me is huge. I will not have to worry about missing calls if I leave Chatter online. I get true push functionality and can still get my calls.

Now I hope that when I get my 700P it really does work this way.
    this works. I was surfing as I read your post above and my wife called. after I was done, restarted blazer and went to the post I was reading. Very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    this works. I was surfing as I read your post above and my wife called. after I was done, restarted blazer and went to the post I was reading. Very cool
    You poor souls - GSM has been doing that since the first 650
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Worth the upgrade. Faster browsing, NO crashes, Using Facer Launcher just waiting for Ludas to upload the button re-mapper, Sprint TV is cool, On demand works extremely fast, DA is much much faster with EVDO. Google maps is outstanding on this device. Form and color are better looking and seem less likely to smudge or scratch as the 650. Using Plantronics Discovery 645 BT headset and it is loud and very clear. All in All I think is is a very good upgrade and by far better than the 700w and somewhat better than the 650. After seeing my 700P a friend is selling is W for the P.
    franklane - do you have a 700w?
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    mixed feelings for me on my verizon 700p. App switching seems slower and the main issue is locking while using blazer. I had to soft reset 4 times today.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456