Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr
    Well,,,sigh... no... the question was whether the original problem was solved natively or not.... I don't want to have to use TreoGuard or Butler or any other app to fix this problem if I don't have to.
    Well, there is still a problem, but if I remember correctly, it is not as bad as the 650. If the phone rings and you hit any key, the ringer and vibrate is silenced, but it doesn't answer the phone.
    Please disregard my previos posts about not being able to charge the 700P from a usb port.

I was wrong. Sorry for the confusion. I apparently did not have it plugged into a "powered" usb port.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Mine seems to have more lag than the 650. PalmInternals gave a reading of 55xx ticks in 52 seconds. That's really slow compared to my old 650.
    EVDO is fantastic (good bye XM, hello Kexp at 128k), and the newest small feature I love is the "Add to contact" after you hang up. On the 650, you could only add as a new contact, which severely hindered this feature.
    Does anyone else notice the SD card doesn't stick out as much, which makes it more difficult to remove unless you have fingernails? More like the 600, if my mind recalls correctly..
    <br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    I just found out how strong the Bluetooth is on the 700. My phone was paired with my car when I brought the car to the car wash. I got out of the car and walked through the building while my car was at least 15 ft away and beyond a glass wall. The phone was with me and when it rang and I answered, the car Bluetooth took over. The 650 barely worked when I was sitting in the car.
    I routinely get 20 or more feet away with my 650 with no issues. I think the early (Sprint) models have otehr hardware differences other than the speaker volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    yeah my bad, i misunderstood. ehcruzan cleared it up, I think you meant that immediately upon flicking the switch it vibrates, which is actually pretty cool, I never know (after all these years) which way is which.
    I read on this very forum years and years ago: "Left is Loud". That's how I remember.

-jd
    So VZW charges more for service, but give you less with the phone. they do make it hard to like them, but I do.
    I've been a Verizon customer for about 8 hours now (Treo 700p on Verizon, previously Treo 650 on Sprint) but I can already say they have:
    * superior coverage
    * inferior pricing

I can't believe the nickel and diming Verizon has; $20/mo for 500 off-network SMSs? On Sprint this was included in my $105/mo plan.

What a joke.

-jd
    Well, there is still a problem, but if I remember correctly, it is not as bad as the 650. If the phone rings and you hit any key, the ringer and vibrate is silenced, but it doesn't answer the phone.
    This is still a problem on the 650 as well, since the space bar can answer the phone. When I pull the 650 out of my holster, I have to be careful I dont answer the call in doing so. Very annoying. I agree, I shouldn't have to buy an app to prevent this, but I suppose I will since it drives me nuts.
    Sprint Treos 300->600->650->700p
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    ATT Galaxy Skyrocket (current)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    ...and the newest small feature I love is the "Add to contact" after you hang up. On the 650, you could only add as a new contact, which severely hindered this feature.
    I don't understand the difference. Please explain.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    The 650 would always create a new contact when you called or received a call from an unknown number. Now, you can add the number to an already existing contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    You can add more info for an existing contact. Email address, home phone, whatever.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Using the new 700p camera at night.. is awful. The 650's low-light handling is far superior. That's a bit disappointing.
    <br>
    LPJ runs great without the memory hack. Running Final Fantasy II with no problems
    <br>
    LPJ?
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrfresh
    LPJ?
    Actually, it's LJP (Little John Palm): http://yoyofr92.free.fr/ljp/

It's a free NES/SNES/Genesis/TG16/lots of other game emulators that I never even heard of!
    <br>
    Just doing some more testing and playing..

One nice improvement I've noticed is that most of the menus now allow you to press the up button to wrap around to the bottom of the menu. It was always annoying to have to hit down 8 times.
    <br>
    TG16! that's pretty cool, I had one back in my day.

I did have a NES emulator running on the 600, but I never bothered much with it. The ROMs were too much of a pain to find, and not all of them worked very well.
    Sprint Pre
    Virgin Optimus V
    Phone preferences is causing soft reset, any suggestions? Sprint 700p
    Received my 700P today and overall I'm happy I did the upgrade. I can listen to XM radio, I like the built in pocket tunes (although its only basic version), and of course EVDO is a big plus and my main reason for upgrading.

Here's my problem: having a couple of years to work on this I expected Palm to do better. They seem to lack the "vision" thing. This is at best an incremental upgrade and for the vast majority of Treo 650 users there's no good reason to upgrade. No wifi, same form factor, no voice dialing over bluetooth, no multitasking ability... I could go on and on.

Palm gets away with this because their main competition is Microsoft who hasn't had an original idea in years (if ever) and moves slower than a slug. But as we all know eventually microsoft gets it right or more correctly the hardware speeds improve enough to run the code morass they develop. If this is the best they can do then I dare say Palm will be in deep trouble.

Palm used to be innovative (years ago). Why can't Palm hire away some of the apple design team and actually produce a sleek swiss army knife that people are excited to use rather than something that still looks like an unfinished engineering project. I'm an engineer ... I've produced these before but have the good sense to recognize it. If apple can reinvent themselves with a new OS and new sleek highly usable designs (even if they aren't necessarily state of the art always) then Palm should be able to do the same.

I'll stay in the Palm camp for now (been there since the IIIe) because its still better than anything out there, but at the rate they are going I can seem myself jumping ship at some point.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast