Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I like the fact that I can stream XM on my phone but WOW does it drain the battery fast. I started with around 3/4 of a charge and within an hour dead! There does not seem to be a way to turn off the screen while streaming and it is at full brightness, keyboard lights are off thanks to "KB lights off".
    I wish you could stream XM thru P-Tunes as that allows background playback and does allow you to turn off the screen.
    Anyone else notice problems with there battery draining fast?
    Li-Ion batteries need to be cycled a few times before their full capacity can be withheld. I would try charging and discharging completely around 5 times, before making a call on the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodiumlake
    Ok so I like the fact that I can stream XM on my phone but WOW does it drain the battery fast. I started with around 3/4 of a charge and within an hour dead! There does not seem to be a way to turn off the screen while streaming and it is at full brightness, keyboard lights are off thanks to "KB lights off".
    I wish you could stream XM thru P-Tunes as that allows background playback and does allow you to turn off the screen.
    Anyone else notice problems with there battery draining fast?
    Yeah, just mentioned it in another thread. Lost half just in standby overnight.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by camhabib
    Li-Ion batteries need to be cycled a few times before their full capacity can be withheld. I would try charging and discharging completely around 5 times, before making a call on the battery life.
    Are you sure of that? I thought they only need be fully charged once.
    I do not think this is correct. Draining a Li-Ion battery all the way down is not good. A full charge should be maintained as often as possible. I suggest doing a search here since this has been discussed a lot.
    Here goes the idea of the battery life being better. That and no MP3 ringtones. So you charge $600 for the 700P and they take AWAY features!

Niiiiiccceeeee.....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Here goes the idea of the battery life being better. That and no MP3 ringtones. So you charge $600 for the 700P and they take AWAY features!

Niiiiiccceeeee.....
    I think that in this instance it is the fact that you can not turn off the screen that drained it so fast not that it is an inherant problem. I am going to try streaming just internet radio with P-Tunes and see if that is better.
    Li-Ion batteries definitely need be cycled. While it is correct that draining a Li-Ion all the way on a regular basis is not good for the battery, a new Li-Ion battery does need to be cycled a few times before it can hold its full charge.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Li-Ion batteries definitely need be cycled. While it is correct that draining a Li-Ion all the way on a regular basis is not good for the battery, a new Li-Ion battery does need to be cycled a few times before it can hold its full charge.
    Wow... someone has no idea how Lithium Ion batteries work. Li-Ion batteries have no memory, meaning you can charge and recharge your battery at any point in the charge cycle. There are a finite number of cycles that a battery will maintain the original charge, but there is no memory that is associated with them like Nickel Metal Hydride batteries of old. Try googling Li-Ion batteries and learning something.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I thought that was the case akukla, Camhabib, listen to him, he is right.
    ... but you can damage your battery by discharging it too deeply.

Surur
    Akula, you are correct, there is no memory associated with Li-Ion, meaning that it won't "remember" its mAh capacity, stopping charge at that point (why its so important to charge NiMH full first time). However, due to the nature of the Li-Ion compound, it does need to be broken in. The best analogy I can think of is with a car, it is recommended that you drive it so many miles at a certain speed before using it for high performance purposes. Lithium Ion batteries do need to be cycled a few times to be broken in, not to set a "memory."

I find a site here (http://is.med.ohio-state.edu/policies/battery.htm), if you go to it you’ll notice under the “Do’s” they suggest 4 cycles, I suggest 5. It's just the property of ALL charge holding material to need to be broken in to some degree. This is something that is often done for you at the factory but should always be done again. If you don't believe me, go ask a Chemist (I'm personally a Biochemist) and get their take on it.
    Last edited by camhabib; 05/27/2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodiumlake
    There does not seem to be a way to turn off the screen while streaming and it is at full brightness, keyboard lights are off thanks to "KB lights off".
    You are correct... you cannot turn the screen off, but you can lower the brightness... just hit the option key on the lower left hand side of the keyboard, then hit "P" and adjust the brightness to what you desire...
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Wow... someone has no idea how Lithium Ion batteries work. Li-Ion batteries have no memory, meaning you can charge and recharge your battery at any point in the charge cycle. There are a finite number of cycles that a battery will maintain the original charge, but there is no memory that is associated with them like Nickel Metal Hydride batteries of old. Try googling Li-Ion batteries and learning something.
    ...SNAP! Guess Camhabib told you. Mmmm-hmmm!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    oh man Kinoma rules!!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...SNAP! Guess Camhabib told you. Mmmm-hmmm!
    lol
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    What I have, for stubborn apps that don't allow you to power the screen off, is a screen 'off' icon on my hi-launcher that you can execute while running other apps.

perhaps that will work in the mean time?
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    Demonstration:
    http://tinyurl.com/nkof4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Li-Ion (Lithium-Ion). Li-Ion batteries provide the highest energy density available, nearly double the energy available from Ni-Cds. They are also low maintenance. They don’t require a deep discharge, they don’t require a break-in period, and they don’t suffer from battery memory. You can charge a Li-Ion at any time without affecting battery performance, but because Li-Ions generally have a charge/discharge life of 300 to 500 cycles, you can shorten a battery’s life by topping it off too often.
    Guess it depends on your source, looking at some more reputable pages, they say you should not break in Li-Ion batteries. The one you linked says to break them in after talking about two different kinds of batteries. Did they mean the first type, the second type, or both types?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    What launcher is that you are using? Looks nice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast