Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    650 owners got so used to pressing the center 5-way button to complete a call. It seems like a waste of valuable real estate to have an unmappable button there. I keep pressing it when I'm in applications to get back to the telephone screen and nothing happens.
    It does seem like a real waste. Why have that button when there is still another button to go to the phone application. I wonder if anyone could hack a remap for that button or the phone app button.
    It should hopefully be remappable. Yes, I agree it's stupid. I can't believe they moved the useful Menu button to make room for this.

Question (I don't have my 700p yet): Does the Green phone button turn on the screen if the screen is off? Or is it still like the Home button was on the 650 which doesn't do anything when the device/screen is off?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The green phone button does not turn on the screen. I agree that so far it's useless...
    I think I'm going to remap the menu button to it.
    Can you remap buttons the the green and red buttons?
    Jimmie Geddes
    I know Tyler Faux, maker of ludustech.com is making an app called shark700fix to let you remap the green and red buttons to apps, or home and menu like the 650.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I know Tyler Faux, maker of ludustech.com is making an app called shark700fix to let you remap the green and red buttons to apps, or home and menu like the 650.
    Wow, he's getting to work fast! But don't we need the red button to turn off (and on) the 700p?
    Yeah, I think the red button will stay as-is on mine. I'll probably remap the green button to the menu button. Then, I'll remap the Calendar to web (like I do on my 650) and the Home button to something else (pTunes maybe?). At the end of the day, too many of my buttons won't match the labels, which will suck.

I've posted before that I think that the Phone, Home, and Calendar buttons all had overlapping functionality and that Palm should merge those into one higher-powered Today-style screen, giving us a couple of extra buttons that could be remapped to other often-used things (web, music, or just a more generic star/favorites button). But no. Instead they've added yet more overlapping functionality with this green button and moved a useful button (Menu) down to the bottom. Meh.
    i need someone who owns a 700p to send me an email... i know jimmie mentioned he'll have one early next week, but i can't write this app unless i know keycodes

cheers, tyler
    I wonder if I'll be able to remap the side button near the volume rocker to menu?
    Jimmie Geddes
  12.    #12  
    I used to have an app on my 600 and 650 called Vol Keys that allowed the side (formerly called) rocker buttons to serve as up & down scrollers. Anyone know if it's still out there & if it'll work on the 700?
    Quote Originally Posted by LudusAdmin
    i need someone who owns a 700p to send me an email... i know jimmie mentioned he'll have one early next week, but i can't write this app unless i know keycodes

cheers, tyler
    I (and probably most of us who have ordered) won't have mine until Tuesday. But couldn't you just use the simulator to get the info you need?
    >I wonder if I'll be able to remap the side button near the volume rocker to menu?

sure why not

>Anyone know if it's still out there & if it'll work on the 700?

i'm not sure but my app will ave the same functionality...

>But couldn't you just use the simulator to get the info you need?

Nope, the simulator throws normal ASCII values when you type and standard hardkey enums for the main keys. What I need is the keyboard values from the actual treo device.

for anyone who has a treo and sees this and is afraid of doing testing on your brand new device, please know that it's VERY easy. i just send you an app (KeyTest.prc) you run it, push the buttons on your Treo, and send me back the numbers it spits out.

best regards, tyler
    Tyler, if no one else beats me to it, I'll definitely help you out when I get mine (Tues or Wed). I'm anxious to get cracking with HB++ and start making some 700p apps of my own.
    hi, you'll want to definitely check out the new version of hb++ coming a bit later this summer i think (or at least jpa has led us to believe on the forums!) should have lots of amazing new stuff...

thanks for the offer! it seems like tuesday or wednesday is the date everyone is looking at for delivery of their brand new 700p.

cheers, tyler
    red button is needed, but the green button seems a little useless. Can somebody tell me how they will use the green (stock) not remapped?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    It should hopefully be remappable. Yes, I agree it's stupid. I can't believe they moved the useful Menu button to make room for this.

Question (I don't have my 700p yet): Does the Green phone button turn on the screen if the screen is off? Or is it still like the Home button was on the 650 which doesn't do anything when the device/screen is off?
    I thought it was like the Treo300 where certain parts of the radio is not seen my the Palm OS. In other words, there are no hooks...
    I forgot where I read that about the 700P, I'll have to look! Sure hope I am wrong!

Regards, matt

EDIT: Found it...

Keyboard Layout Changes

One visible button hardware change from the Treo 700w is the transformation of the soft-menu keys (which PalmOS does not support) into dedicated send/end keys. This was done to increase the number of direct application keys (now Dialer, Calendar, Mail, and Home) and to limit the confusion for beginners.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/814-1.htm
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 05/27/2006 at 08:48 PM.
    hi,

i'm 99.9% sure i'll be able to change it.... but we won't know until someone emails me upon receiving a device

regards, tyler
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    I used to have an app on my 600 and 650 called Vol Keys that allowed the side (formerly called) rocker buttons to serve as up & down scrollers. Anyone know if it's still out there & if it'll work on the 700?
    Why not use Butler? Unless it doesn't work on the 700p....since I don't have a friggin' 700p I wouldn't know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast