Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Following on the it's success with the 600 and 650, the 700p (4.5*) again takes home the Editor's Choice award at PC magazine. Tho the competition was closer than before, the Treo 700p edged out the PPC-6700 and BB 8700g

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp

    "
    The Treo 700p's competition is stiff. High-end Microsoft-powered handhelds such as the Sprint PPC-6700 combine Wi-Fi and EV-DO for the ultimate in networking, while new-generation BlackBerrys such as the 8700g are starting to offer media players and Microsoft Office document readers as options. At $399 with a two-year contract, the Treo 700p is cheaper than top-end Pocket PCs, but it costs more than BlackBerrys. And the old Treo 650 still isn't that shabby. Upgrading will be a tough sell to Treo 650 owners, who already have most of the 700p's functionality, but the 700p is a good value if you don't have a PDA/phone yet.

    The Treo 700p offers an excellent balance of phone functions, PIM, media, and high-speed Internet access. It's a joy to use and will satisfy all but the geekiest feature hounds. For that, it's a worthy Editors' Choice. "
    For reference, PC Mag's 700w (3.0*) review here:

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911100,00.asp
  2. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #2  
    Palm's new Treo 700p may look like older Treos, but it is loaded with internal improvements that Treo fans have been waiting for.
    You'd never know it by reading the forums here!
  3. #3  
    There's a difference between an objective review and that of fanatics like us. We take it too personally. We are whiney be-atches
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  4. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    There's a difference between an objective review and that of fanatics like us. We take it too personally. We are whiney be-atches
    Yes, you are.

    Sascha Segan did a great review there...my guess is that Sascha has been reading many of the Treo forums to see what kinds of questions we have -- many of the geek questions were answered in that review which is something I rarely see.
  5. #5  
    Editors' Choice award? *yawn* How many of those do they dole in a year? 500? 1000?
  6. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYravefever
    Editors' Choice award? *yawn* How many of those do they dole in a year? 500? 1000?
    Hmmmmm....I think ONE per CATEGORY?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYravefever
    Editors' Choice award? *yawn* How many of those do they dole in a year? 500? 1000?
    Generally...one. That is one PDA/Phone. Most EC's are given in three subcategories such as one budget laptop, one medium, one desktop replacement ... one pro camera, one medium, one budget ... and so on.

    Tho if something comes out to top the 700p, they will re-award it....like when the GSM 650 came out, they gave it the edge over the Sprint model.
  8. #8  
    That was the FUNNIEST review I have ever read. Most 650 users will find barely any good reason to upgrade and the processor was barely faster than other units (years old.) So the PC Magazine Editor's Choice is for the following category:

    BEST PALM OS MOBILE PHONE

    Yes, it deserves the gold, silver and bronze medals. PC Mag is a joke.
  9. #9  
    Read the review and HOW can it get 900-1100 kbps attached to a computer and only 200 kbps via Blazer? The kbps should be the same for EVDO receiver regardless of where it goes. Maybe Blazer stops downloading when it can't keep up. I will be a little disappointed if that is true. If so, hopefully ReqWireless will speed it up.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Yes, it deserves the gold, silver and bronze medals. PC Mag is a joke.
    I guess these too:

    Washington Times -
    "Palm has won, hands-down, no questions asked, the race for smart-phone supremacy. "
    USA Today -
    "The summa *** laude of smartphones has just gotten smarter. That's haughty praise for the new 700p Palm Treo model I've been testing, considering the high honors bestowed on previous Treos."
  11. #11  
    Yes Jack, unfortunately the value of the press has gone to the craphole. Just like in the other thread where I was accused of being slinky, his great joke proves that there is very little value in journalism. It is called parroted BS taken from marketing materials and other individuals just prior to deadline. There is no honor amongst journalists so if you find one that is reliable, stick with him and be happy.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Yes Jack, unfortunately the value of the press has gone to the craphole. Just like in the other thread where I was accused of being slinky, his great joke proves that there is very little value in journalism. It is called parroted BS taken from marketing materials and other individuals just prior to deadline. There is no honor amongst journalists so if you find one that is reliable, stick with him and be happy.
    You're a bit more harsh than I would be (as funny as that sounds,) but still correct. These things are "Editors Choice." Hey, I have a website, if I said a 10 year old Moto StarTAC was my Editors Choice, would that make it the best?

    You Palm 'Droids would be the first to bash the article if it gave the 6700, or Q it's Editors Choice.

    I have no problem with the Treo line, or Palm for that matter. But it's hardly state of the art. And because some writer says its his/her favorite, doesn't make it the best. Only in their OPINION.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You're a bit more harsh than I would be (as funny as that sounds,) but still correct. These things are "Editors Choice." Hey, I have a website, if I said a 10 year old Moto StarTAC was my Editors Choice, would that make it the best?

    You Palm 'Droids would be the first to bash the article if it gave the 6700, or Q it's Editors Choice.

    I have no problem with the Treo line, or Palm for that matter. But it's hardly state of the art. And because some writer says its his/her favorite, doesn't make it the best. Only in their OPINION.
    And if someone happens to agree with the writer and not teh monk or dstrauss or geatches or ladytreo or any other person that is unimpressed with the P, they are entitled to their opinion and to talk about how great it is and how it is the best phone for them.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    And if someone happens to agree with the writer and not teh monk or dstrauss or geatches or ladytreo or any other person that is unimpressed with the P, they are entitled to their opinion and to talk about how great it is and how it is the best phone for them.
    Of course they are. Everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately some people seem to need spoon feeding, and take the word of some columnist as Gospel. Do you think if another phone was Editors Choice, these same 'Droids would be touting that phone?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Of course they are. Everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately some people seem to need spoon feeding, and take the word of some columnist as Gospel. Do you think if another phone was Editors Choice, these same 'Droids would be touting that phone?
    Caught your reference to Mac and Mossberg before you deleted it. I suspect Steve Jobs slicked you to the Mac before ol' father Walt ever did.

    And to counter something you said above -- I don't think any of these articles says point blank that this is "state of the art technology"; rather, these articles are saying that features, form factor and overall quality of experience is higher with the 700P than anything else. I would whole heartedly agree with that.

    If these same articles are saying that the 700P is "state-of-the-art" I'd be first in line for the laugh-a-thon...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Caught your reference to Mac and Mossberg before you deleted it. I suspect Steve Jobs slicked you to the Mac before ol' father Walt ever did.
    I deleted the WM reference...didn't think it was needed, but yes, since you caught it,

    I've used Mac computers for years, but NOT because WM says they're great.

    But the point I was trying to make is just because some Tech site or blog says one device is the greatest thing in the World, it is only an opinion. However, these opinions seem like undeniable truths to some, if it fits their arguement. If it doesn't...they shrug it off. Do you think Jack Naylor would suddenly run out and get a Q if it got the Editors Choice award? Give me a break...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17. #17  
    For instance,

    Cnet gives the Q an 8.0 rating
    the Sprint 700p gets a 7.7

    There you go everyone, since Cnet rates the Q higher, (as well as the BB 8700's and T-Mo SDA) better cancel your orders.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/...5.html?tag=dir
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I deleted the WM reference...didn't think it was needed, but yes, since you caught it,

    I've used Mac computers for years, but NOT because WM says they're great.

    But the point I was trying to make is just because some Tech site or blog says one device is the greatest thing in the World, it is only an opinion. However, these opinions seem like undeniable truths to some, if it fits their arguement. If it doesn't...they shrug it off. Do you think Jack Naylor would suddenly run out and get a Q if it got the Editors Choice award? Give me a break...
    I doubt Jack would...but I'm thinking (no offense) ScottR might! [Edit: Wait a second...maybe it is Jack who's been posting over on the MotoQ forum...maybe he would]

    I think you're looking at the world through monkey-turd colored glasses some times. You're assuming that just because some folks like the Treo more than the beloved WM (Windows Media, not Walt Mossberg) that they are some how mind-numbed robots.

    I don't mean to sound like I'm pissy or anything...cause I'm not...but your knee-jerk reactions to anything positive about the Treo seems to be just as mind-numb as the supossed Treo-bots you're describing. Am I wrong?

    PS - I love monkies and do not wish to ever the feel the wrath of monkies. Do not burn me, scratch me, or otherwise bring harm to me in a real or virtual sense. Please? Pretty please?
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    For instance,

    Cnet gives the Q an 8.0 rating
    the Sprint 700p gets a 7.7

    There you go everyone, since Cnet rates the Q higher, (as well as the BB 8700's and T-Mo SDA) better cancel your orders.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/...5.html?tag=dir
    I think your knee just jerked again...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I doubt Jack would...but I'm thinking (no offense) ScottR might! [Edit: Wait a second...maybe it is Jack who's been posting over on the MotoQ forum...maybe he would]

    I think you're looking at the world through monkey-turd colored glasses some times. You're assuming that just because some folks like the Treo more than the beloved WM (Windows Media, not Walt Mossberg) that they are some how mind-numbed robots.

    I don't mean to sound like I'm pissy or anything...cause I'm not...but your knee-jerk reactions to anything positive about the Treo seems to be just as mind-numb as the supossed Treo-bots you're describing. Am I wrong?

    PS - I love monkies and do not wish to ever the feel the wrath of monkies. Do not burn me, scratch me, or otherwise bring harm to me in a real or virtual sense. Please? Pretty please?
    Some are mind numbed robots, and that's my point. I'm actually platform agnostic. I have both Mac and PC's (and Linux on an old and now dead laptop). I have both Palm and PPC/WM devices. Each has it's good points. Each has flaws. I've defended Palm devices many times when I used to hang out on Brighthand, from the PPC fanboys.

    But Palm is playing catch-up. The 700 as an upgrade to the 600 works. As in upgrade to the 650, it's marginal. Not worth it to me, especially when I can get the 6700 cheaper. And if that day happens that I do get a 6700 (because I still may get the 700p) I'll ***** about it's flaws and shortcomings as well.

    And I won't need some "Editors Choice" award or an endorsement from a newsrag to tell me how much I want it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions