1.    #1  
    Bright comparison between the P and the W from an owner of both.

I had a 650 and loved everything but the stability of the unit. I went with the 700w and i really think that it got a bad rap. Since the update, memory HAS NEVER been an issue. its more of a psychological thing, i think.

as far as web browsing, i really got used to the PIE on the W, and blazer still kind of sucks, IMHO. i cant scroll links on a page with Blazer, so i need the stylus. PIE seems much faster than Blazer, almost by a factor of 2. Bluetooth sync works well on both units. i have chatter enabled on the P, which is fantastic. The P seems much more stable than the 650. no real freezes or anything, which has been my main prob with the W.

Also, phone app is good, but the W today screen is fantastic. the fact that i can begin typing a name from Today rather than being required to open the contacts app is a very helpful thing. once you get the today screen from WM, its tough to go back.

In all, im not sure whether ill keep the p or the w, i want to give it a few more days. any questions you might have, fire away, i will do my best.
    Can't you scroll links in blazer by using right and left on hte 5-way. that's what i've always done with the 650?
    Also, phone app is good, but the W today screen is fantastic. the fact that i can begin typing a name from Today rather than being required to open the contacts app is a very helpful thing. once you get the today screen from WM, its tough to go back.
    You can do this on the palm version of the phone. (At least on the 650). If you go into the general preferences of the dial pad, you can select an option to "Typing starts Contacts search." Then, as soon as you start typing, it looks up your contact. You do not need to go into the contact section. And if what you type is not a contact name, but rather an actual phone number, the treo is smart enough to recognize that fact, and dial the number rather than look up the contact. It works so well for me, that I removed the dial pad from my home screen altogether, because I never need to use it.

Micah
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo

as far as web browsing, i really got used to the PIE on the W, and blazer still kind of sucks, IMHO. i cant scroll links on a page with Blazer, so i need the stylus. PIE seems much faster than Blazer, almost by a factor of 2. Bluetooth sync works well on both units. i have chatter enabled on the P, which is fantastic.
    Does chatter support Microsoft exchange sync? I am surprised about the browser speed. I have always felt that PIE on my Treo 700W was very slow even with EVDO.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy
    Does chatter support Microsoft exchange sync? I am surprised about the browser speed. I have always felt that PIE on my Treo 700W was very slow even with EVDO.
    dont know, dont use exchange activesync only PC sync
    You say that you don't have memory problems with the W, but then later say that you have freezes. Aren't the two probably related?

See previous comments about contact searching. This was the default behavior on the 600. I was shocked when Palm changed this on the 650. Interesting that they didn't correct this error in judgment with the 700p. The menu option better still be there.

Ditto on the links reply as well. I've never had to use my stylus in Blazer on the 650.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy
    Does chatter support Microsoft exchange sync?
    Yes it does and it's an add-on (and part of a bundle). I use Chatter daily but not the Microsoft Exchange add-on. I love Chatter. Heard the add-on is awesome too. Remind you that Chatter only deals with emails. So don't expect it to sync your contacts.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    Here's another:

P (4.5*) - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp
    W (3.0*) - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911100,00.asp
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    You say that you don't have memory problems with the W, but then later say that you have freezes. Aren't the two probably related?

See previous comments about contact searching. This was the default behavior on the 600. I was shocked when Palm changed this on the 650. Interesting that they didn't correct this error in judgment with the 700p. The menu option better still be there.

Ditto on the links reply as well. I've never had to use my stylus in Blazer on the 650.
    im not convinced the freezing is due exclusively to the memory, because it happens sometimes with nothing open and 10+ mb free. I think its a windows thing, also because some 64 mb devices also freeze.
    Umm, nothing personal, but I don't think you know the 650 very well, which makes me question how well you really know the 700W, which makes me question the value of this comparison. If you don't know how to scroll through links in Blazer, or how to search for a contact without having to open the contacts app first, I can't help but wonder what else you've missed.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Umm, nothing personal, but I don't think you know the 650 very well, which makes me question how well you really know the 700W, which makes me question the value of this comparison. If you don't know how to scroll through links in Blazer, or how to search for a contact without having to open the contacts app first, I can't help but wonder what else you've missed.
    apologize if im not the super-nerd you are....below me
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Perhaps the most pathetic review I have ever read. 4.5 stars for... well... exactly what?

"adds high-speed EV-DO networking, a better camera, and updated software to our Editors' Choice Palm Treo 650."

That's IT? That's what you pay $400-600 for? Are you kidding me? Most of the article is decidedly negative...

"Yes, the Palm OS is getting old; most notably, it doesn't support multitasking, which is annoying when you're downloading e-mail and want to do something else. But it's still tremendously responsive..."

"The 700p is also the first smartphone to access Sprint TV streaming video service. The live TV channels look blocky on the 700p's high-res screen; they're transmitted in 176-by-132, and the 700p is 320-by-320. But they stream, and they work. Handmark's On Demand information service also comes with the Treo, delivering maps, weather, movie times, and news headlines."

Excuse me? The 700w and many other phones can access NUMEROUS streaming video sources, far more than the 700p. Does the reviewer know much about mobile phones or is he a vacuum cleaner salesman?

"But when I connected to a Mac using Bluetooth, speeds slowed down to about 200 to 300 Kbps. The problem is the Treo's Bluetooth 1.2 stack, which is just too slow to handle the full speed of EV-DO.

You won't get that full speed in Palm's Blazer browser, either. Blazer's not-so-fast rendering engine kept effective speeds on bandwidth-test Web sites down to about 200 Kbps. But the device as a whole feels very responsive, and it's fast enough to play music or stream video. (Streaming media appears in a customized version of Kinoma's media player, which can handle MP3, WMA, WMV, and MPEG4 streams.) In both processor and video benchmarking tests, the 700p came out slightly faster than both the Treo 650 and the Palm TX, the Editors' Choice standalone PDA."

Guys... THE 700P CAME OUT SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN THE OLD PDA IT REPLACED THAT CAME OUT SEVERAL YEARS AGO!!!! Now THAT is riveting news... How about comparing the speed to something recent you PC Mag bozos?

"As a phone, the Treo 700p is fine but not great. Sound through the earpiece in a noisy location was a little wobbly, and transmissions were clear but a bit tinny. There's no in-ear voice feedback or noise cancellation..."

"The Treo 700p's competition is stiff. High-end Microsoft-powered handhelds such as the Sprint PPC-6700 combine Wi-Fi and EV-DO for the ultimate in networking, while new-generation BlackBerrys such as the 8700g are starting to offer media players and Microsoft Office document readers as options. At $399 with a two-year contract, the Treo 700p is cheaper than top-end Pocket PCs, but it costs more than BlackBerrys. And the old Treo 650 still isn't that shabby. Upgrading will be a tough sell to Treo 650 owners, who already have most of the 700p's functionality, but the 700p is a good value if you don't have a PDA/phone yet."

So if you have an OLD 650 and you are telling me the 700p represents a marginal upgrade that people holding the ancient 650 wont be compelled, why is it an "Editor's Choice?" PC Mag is pathetic!
    The logic seems rather straightforward....the old Editor's Choice was the GSM Treo 650, huge points going to screen and one handed operation....the 700p came along and knocked it off the hill. The GSM 650 had 4.5 stars also....the 700w got 3.0* The Verizon Treo, BB 8700g and the 6700 got 4.0*

http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...pt=10&sid=1713