1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out how to get connected to a laptop? I was under the impression that you could connect OOB. I tried to pair in order to sync but got no where my Treo sees my computer but not the other way around.
    And I want to see if I can transfer files directly to the card and synch music and pictures.
    I installed the VZ Access software that came with the phone and got on the network; but I could not be authenticated. I called VZ and asked to have the tether feature added and they indicated it is not available yet on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarroz
    I installed the VZ Access software that came with the phone and got on the network; but I could not be authenticated. I called VZ and asked to have the tether feature added and they indicated it is not available yet on the 700p.
    Now we really know the truth. Verizon pulled a fast one on Palm and Sprint by shipping out the 700p EARLY. They can't even turn tethering on yet!
    If that's true, it's really despicable. But this could also be a case of the CSR not being clued in. Happens all the time with VZN, unfortunately. Sometimes you have to go up a level or two to get the real answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodiumlake
    Has anyone figured out how to get connected to a laptop? I was under the impression that you could connect OOB. I tried to pair in order to sync but got no where my Treo sees my computer but not the other way around.
    And I want to see if I can transfer files directly to the card and synch music and pictures.
    I was able to get my Powerbook (OSX) connected via Bluetooth, and then use the 700p as an EVDO modem. Paired the laptop & phone, then had to use the VZAccess software for one of their other PC cards, as the 700p isn't listed as a supported device. It worked almost instantly.

2wire.com reports 350 -420kbps throughput using this config.

FYI, the manual says the Mac doesn't support tethered (using an actual cable), only over Bluetooth. Windows is supposed to support both.

Haven't tried a Windows machine yet.
    this is a blatant ripoff of PDANET from Junefabrics!
    I'm very interested in getting faster connections with my MacBook Pro (currently using Treo 650 with T-Mobile).

What does VZAccess do? Shouldn't you just be able to set it up as a bluetooth modem?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm5
    I was able to get my Powerbook (OSX) connected via Bluetooth, and then use the 700p as an EVDO modem. Paired the laptop & phone, then had to use the VZAccess software for one of their other PC cards, as the 700p isn't listed as a supported device. It worked almost instantly.

FYI, the manual says the Mac doesn't support tethered (using an actual cable), only over Bluetooth. Windows is supposed to support both.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Junefabrics says they will have a PdeNet version for the 700p soon

Good news. Is that VZAccess software generally available?

jdm5 - I was able to connect a few times, but more often than not, the connection times out. It paired fine, used verizon setting (ie, mobile number@vzw3g.com, vxw), verizon modem script (5220 or whatever it is), but I can't get a consistent connection.

Also, not sure if you're a salling clicker person, but that doesn't seem to work. Do you use it? If so, any luck?
    Turns out the CSR was wrong. I emailed VZ and got this repsonse. Everything works now!

We apologize for the misinformation. The PalmOne Treo 700p can be used as a Broadband/National Access wireless modem. This device is one of Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess PDA devices. In order to use the PalmOne Treo 700p as a tethered modem you are required to have the following System Requirements:

1. VZAccess Manger v 5.7.2 - VZAccess must be installed and configured.
    2. Tethered access feature added to your account.

Using the Treo 700p as a tethered data connection requires that you have both the Unlimited Broadband/National Access and Unlimited Tethered BroadbandAccess on your account. For your convenience, we have listed the pricing options for these two features below:

For lines that have a voice-calling plan:
    - Unlimited Broadband/National Access per month
    - Unlimited Tethered BroadbandAccess for $15.00 per month

Please reply back to this email, if you would like to have the Unlimited Tethered BroadbandAccess for $15.00 per month added to your account. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I'm very interested in getting faster connections with my MacBook Pro (currently using Treo 650 with T-Mobile).

What does VZAccess do? Shouldn't you just be able to set it up as a bluetooth modem?
    VZAccess is Verizon's broadband access dialer. I agree you should see the 700p as a bluetooth modem, but I couldn't. The manual says to install the VZAccess software to use bluetooth to use the 700p as a modem, so that's what I did.

You can download VZAccess from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/download/index.html -- choose Mac as the OS, and I selected PC Card, and 5740 (I think that's what it was, not 100% sure) as the PC Card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccotnoir
    jdm5 - I was able to connect a few times, but more often than not, the connection times out. It paired fine, used verizon setting (ie, mobile number@vzw3g.com, vxw), verizon modem script (5220 or whatever it is), but I can't get a consistent connection.

Also, not sure if you're a salling clicker person, but that doesn't seem to work. Do you use it? If so, any luck?
    Not sure what to say; it did appear to timeout when I didn't use the connection for a while, but I did surf a proof of concept for 5-10 minutes with no problems.

Are you using VZAccess? I'm dialing from there and it's working.

I am not a salling clicker person (I assume that's some Palm software...link?) -- I am frustrated like everyone else with the home button not working in LauncherX!!!
    Not sure what to say; it did appear to timeout when I didn't use the connection for a while, but I did surf a proof of concept for 5-10 minutes with no problems.

Are you using VZAccess? I'm dialing from there and it's working.

I am not a salling clicker person (I assume that's some Palm software...link?) -- I am frustrated like everyone else with the home button not working in LauncherX!!!
    I did not install VZ Access. Going to try it.
    Salling clicker is an application that installs on your mac and palm that lets you use your device as a remove control for applications like Itunes, DVD player, presentations, you name it. It is fantastic - though as I said, it doesn't seem to work. Thanks for your help.
    Working great now. . .but, I had to call Verizon to activate. Was getting "can't authenticate" message and when I called to officially add the feature, he told me I was getting the message before I told him!

I'd be very interested to see if others are able to access without provisioning for tethering.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Can you clarify this a bit for Mac.... I have a 12" PB, so no PC card slot. I know I should be able to use BT, but understand that EVDO speeds are much slower with BT than a cable. When I went to the URL above to look at the VZAcces Manager Software, and choose Mac OS, then "Wireless handset", the 700P does not show up at all. Please let me know if you have any words of wisdom on this.... thanks.
    Not true....I have it working on my device as we speak with VZW. Call the Wireless Data Group instead of customer service and they should have a better understanding of using DUN. (866) 788-9387

Quote Originally Posted by ccotnoir
    I'd be very interested to see if others are able to access without provisioning for tethering.
    I doubt it's possible to tether without having subscribed with Verizon. When you dial up, it checks your subscription for the DUN service before you connect.
    Last edited by airoid; 05/27/2006 at 10:42 PM.