Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As best as I can tell, the option to edit ringtones for individual contacts to use a MP3 is NOT THERE!

We wuz lied to by Palm-

Audio- 2.5mm headset jack is stereo headset compatible-requires a stereo headset adapter, sold separately, for use with standard stereo headphones

Speaker

Polyphonic MIDI, MP3, WAV & video ringtones

External ringer on/off switch w/ vibrate mode
    I wonder if the headset jack will have the same issues the 650 had?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    According to the manual it supports AAC ringtones as well. Have you tried any of those?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    what is AAC?
    Its an audio codec most famously used by apple Itunes when you rip your own music. When you buy Itunes music its also aac, but its encrypted.

Surur
    Are we really surprised that there is no native mp3 ringtone support? Palm is notorious for keeping the software on their devices simple, and stripped down. Why would you buy Ringo if you were already able to have mp3 ringtones? And how would Palm get its licensing fees from Ringo if no one bought it?

By the way, I do use Ringo, and its great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    Are we really surprised that there is no native mp3 ringtone support? Palm is notorious for keeping the software on their devices simple, and stripped down. Why would you buy Ringo if you were already able to have mp3 ringtones? And how would Palm get its licensing fees from Ringo if no one bought it?

By the way, I do use Ringo, and its great.
    I think the main concern here is that Palm specifically says in the product description that it would support MP3 ringtones out of box. I have no problem adding 3rd party software to my palm when it's something extra I'm trying to do with the phone, but not for something that's supposed to be included for free.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    I think the main concern here is that Palm specifically says in the product description that it would support MP3 ringtones out of box. I have no problem adding 3rd party software to my palm when it's something extra I'm trying to do with the phone, but not for something that's supposed to be included for free.
    Oh.... I didn't realize that. Must have missed that on the product description. I was too busy scanning for other things.
  9. kiz
    Try that ringtone, its in aac format.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    Oh.... I didn't realize that. Must have missed that on the product description. I was too busy scanning for other things.
    That's why I quoted it in my orig post.

LightWav seems to be working fine on my 700p so far.
  11. jjd
    Which version of LightWav are you using? 5.7? LightWav Pro?
    Last edited by jjd; 05/26/2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: correction
    yea this makes no sense that Palm would advertise MP3 support when it's absent from the device

I don't mind adding 3rd party software, but christ I just paid $650 for a phone in the year 2006...get with it Palm
    1 | 2
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjd
    Which version of LightWav are you using? 5.7? LightWav Pro?
    LightWav Pro works flawlesly on my 700p. No resets. I have thirteen different ringtone MP3s set up and every one that has called thus far rings as it should.

Lightwav has been spotty with prior versions and earlier Treos. It looks like Danny at Toysoft got it figured out with this version. I'm a happy camper...
    That's still crap. The palm specs sheet clearly says video ringtones, and I want video ringtones on my Treo! I know I'm really dorky for wanting it but I was gonna put Anime Music Videos on the thing to play when people called. But, no....
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    What version of Lightwav Pro do u have?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    You guys think if people make enough noise about the 700P not having video ringtones or mp3 ringtones built in, Palm will do anything?
    I'm starting to wonder how many tech support calls are going to go like this:

"Hi I can't get my MP3 ringtones to work"
    "The Treo 700p only supports midi ringtones. You can add MP3 funtionality with 3rd party software, though, which I'd be happy to sell you for only twice the retail value!"
    "Uh, no thanks what about video ringtones?"
    "What video ringtones?"
    "..."
    "Would you like to purchace a docking cradle or car charger?"
    <click>
    From the Palm Support site:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(19349),ts=Palm_External2001#mp3

"Use MP3 files as ringtones

Your Treo smartphone doesn't include built-in software to allow MP3 files to be used as ringtones.

But you may be able to add this capability to your smartphone through a third-party ringtone manager."
    Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy
    From the Palm Support site:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(19349),ts=Palm_External2001#mp3

"Use MP3 files as ringtones

Your Treo smartphone doesn't include built-in software to allow MP3 files to be used as ringtones.

But you may be able to add this capability to your smartphone through a third-party ringtone manager."
    Yea that's been around for a while... but on the 700p specs page, it clearly says:

Polyphonic MIDI, MP3, WAV, and video ringontes

under the audio section. Now if the 700p doesn't support MP3 ringotnes, but it is advertised as being able to do so on the Palm website, that's false advertising. What if someone bought the 700p because they thought it support MP3 ringtones, when it doesn't? I'm not too familiar with law suits and suing and stuff, but Palm could probably get in trouble for this.
    I'm sure if enough people email Palm about this FALSE ADVERTISING, they'll add this capability in a firmware update...anyone wanna post their email for us lazy people?
    1 | 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast