Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While AAC is nice and all, the files tend to be larger than MP3 and it's not really the point. The point is, Palm seems to have lied about the out-of-the-box capabilities of this phone. If they lied about this, there might be other things that they lied about too that we have yet to figure out since the majority of users on here don't have the device yet.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    return it already, no mp3 ringtone support !!!
    Some people are long on identifying problems but short on fixing them. Let's stop whining and see if there is a solution to this problem. I am not going to send my device back over this inconvenience. Especially not if AAC works. I will know in a couple of days and will report back.
    Last edited by BigTreo; 05/28/2006 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    While AAC is nice and all, the files tend to be larger than MP3 and it's not really the point. The point is, Palm seems to have lied about the out-of-the-box capabilities of this phone. If they lied about this, there might be other things that they lied about too that we have yet to figure out since the majority of users on here don't have the device yet.
    I'm well aware of what the point is, I already discussed it earlier in the thread... my question was simply whether or not AAC works for ringtones...

As far as the size issue, it depends on what bitrate you encode it at... I took a 30 second MP3 that was 128kbps...I converted it to 128kbps AAC and the difference in size was 2KB. I don't think many people will really be worrying about the size issue at all, especially considering you can usually decrease the bitrate and get a smaller size with little noticable difference in quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I'm well aware of what the point is, I already discussed it earlier in the thread... my question was simply whether or not AAC works for ringtones...

As far as the size issue, it depends on what bitrate you encode it at... I took a 30 second MP3 that was 128kbps...I converted it to 128kbps AAC and the difference in size was 2KB. I don't think many people will really be worrying about the size issue at all, especially considering you can usually decrease the bitrate and get a smaller size with little noticable difference in quality.
    I couldn't find a way to get aac to work either. MP3 will at least hotsync over to the card, the hotsync app won't copy the aac files over - says no app supports that file type. Copying the files around with a card reader didn't let me use them.
    Thanks delrey. This just goes to further emphasize Palm's laziness...it seriouly makes me think that Palm thinks we don't care if the software changes or not, they just know they can do whatever since no other company makes Palm smartphones.....
    I have a theory on this ... so where does Palm say that the 700p supports mp3 ringtones? Just on the website, not in the manual that I can find ...

As far as I can see it's on the 700p specs web page and no where else. So I think that someone made a really bozo cut and paste/failure to copy edit error. If you look at the 700 *W* specs under audio, it lists the exact same ringtone support. But if you look at the 700W manual, it tells you how to save a video as a ringtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    I have a theory on this ... so where does Palm say that the 700p supports mp3 ringtones? Just on the website, not in the manual that I can find ...

As far as I can see it's on the 700p specs web page and no where else. So I think that someone made a really bozo cut and paste/failure to copy edit error. If you look at the 700 *W* specs under audio, it lists the exact same ringtone support. But if you look at the 700W manual, it tells you how to save a video as a ringtone.
    It could be true, but in the business world, you have to make up for those mistakes. For example, if a flyer for a store goes out listing the wrong price, they have to honor it, and usually will without giving you too much trouble. I remember a mistake in a flyer for a computer that we bought for my grandmother. The store actually ended up paying us after rebates, so we made $300 for buying a computer. So even if this is a mistake, Palm has to do something about it. Hell, even if it were a $5 off an accessory at the Palm store for people who purchased, it is still a kind of compensation for their error.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  9.    #49  
    Hell, even if it were a $5 off an accessory at the Palm store for people who purchased, it is still a kind of compensation for their error.
    1. Don't hold your breath.
    2. Then you could be paying only 25% more than the comparable product from a competitively priced accessory store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante

You're both wrong here. Think about it. If you have a file encoded at 128kbps, think of what that means. It means that 128kb are dedicated to each second of that song, thus a 30 second song will be the same size for each of those files. The difference between MP3 and AAC is quality. MP3 is MPEG layer 3, AAC is actually MPEG layer 4. AAC is more compressed, and roughly speaking, a 128kbps AAC will yield the same quality as a 192kbps MP3. Thus, for the same quality you're actually using a SMALLER file size by going with AAC. It would definitely be nice if AAC support was on the treo.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    so does it? we need some folks to really try this
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    so does it? we need some folks to really try this
    Nope. Wav and midi work.

mp3 and aac (as aac or as m4a) don't work.

I'm all for others trying this as well, I'm just one tester, but I really think I tried all the different ways it might work and none of them do.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    Nope. Wav and midi work.

mp3 and aac (as aac or as m4a) don't work.

I'm all for others trying this as well, I'm just one tester, but I really think I tried all the different ways it might work and none of them do.
    this is crap
    I'll def be testing this when I get mine in. As far as it being a type-o, that's possible. However in the manual it shows that it supports AAC and AAC+ ringtones.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    regardless of right or wrong, unless you're an ipod person, you don't use AAC. So now you have to waste time converting. And when you're converting a compressed file, it's not going to sound as good as if you had the original to work off of (be it the cd or something lossless). So if you're going from your compressed 192kb mp3 to 128kb AAC you're not getting comparable quality. Not that the Treo's speaker is going to do it justice either way. So, great if you're an ipud person, but the rest of us would like the ease of use of using what we already have. And when mp3 ringtones seem to be used on many other phones, I'd think a fourth generation phone would finally get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    You're both wrong here. Think about it. If you have a file encoded at 128kbps, think of what that means. It means that 128kb are dedicated to each second of that song, thus a 30 second song will be the same size for each of those files. The difference between MP3 and AAC is quality. MP3 is MPEG layer 3, AAC is actually MPEG layer 4. AAC is more compressed, and roughly speaking, a 128kbps AAC will yield the same quality as a 192kbps MP3. Thus, for the same quality you're actually using a SMALLER file size by going with AAC. It would definitely be nice if AAC support was on the treo.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/29/2006 at 08:10 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well said... it's just time (past the time, actually) that this is inherent... they've made all these mods to make it "more like a cell phone" for beginners...

I'd think that one stood at the front of the line... ???? apparently not
    uh... This is a business device first. They've thrown in alot of entertainment features this time around but mostly so they can make more money. I surely don't place this as the #1 reason to but a 700p. Not anywhere near that.

As for AAC vs. MP3 either will do fine if we can get one to work. The fact that you don't want to convert your mp3s is a pretty weak argument. Most times I actually trim my ringtones so that the specific part of the song plays that I want to play. What good is an Mp3 ringtone that plays 30 seconds of a part of a song no one recognizes? So adding a couple of minutes to convert the song is no headache because you will spend more time getting the trim just right!

Also, your argument for quality loss from converting from Mp3 to AAC is way off also. You could convert from MP3 to AAC back to Mp3 and then burn a cd and sell it to someone and they wouldn't hear the difference on there home stereo or car stereo. So why would we care about doing this on a treo speaker? Now if you have one of those $30,000 audiophile systems at home this may not work for you, but who cares?

I find it promising that the manual says it supports AAC and AAC+ ringtones!!! Let's get it to work!
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    It's an annoying ringtone
    That's an understatement!

My head hurts!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    It could be true, but in the business world, you have to make up for those mistakes. For example, if a flyer for a store goes out listing the wrong price, they have to honor it, and usually will without giving you too much trouble. <snip>
    No, not if the error was inadvertent and there was no intent to deceive. They just have to be reasonable and diligent in correcting the error. That is why WorstBuy/CrapUSA/CircuitousCity and virtually every other store post corrections to their errant advertisements at the store's entrance. They may choose to make some special accommodation for you to "keep the customer happy," but they don't have to if the advertisement is in error.

And now, back to our thread . . .
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    as a business first device, I use various ringtones to identify my customers and differentiate between hospital OR's calling, doctor's offices, coworkers, distributors, friends and family.

Makes my life a lot easier as I can gauge the importance of a call from emergencies to hit silent and check vm later. I like to spend as little time as possible on the computer doing workarounds to make a product work. MP3 ringtones are standard on many many phones today, and this is the 4th generation of this device that still can't play them. To me it falls in line with the no wifi issue. This is a 4th generation pda & phone. Most pda's now have wifi built in or as an option with a wifi card. You don't need hacks, workarounds or what not to make it work. I've been doing workarounds and suffering through old tech with my i500 because it does the basics extremely well and is the smallest palm phone around. So if I'm upgrading to a 4th generation brick, I'd like to not deal with workarounds for things I'd expect to be basic at this point.

And I can hear the difference of recompressed/reconverted music on my shure e3's, M&K speakers and cheap *** 10yr old AR Partners. But I doubt I'd hear it on the treo. But I shouldn't have to, especially if the spec sheet says I shouldn't.

I think the majority of people are just tired of having to workaround issues that don't seem to be issues elsewhere. And seriously, outside of Apple, who uses AAC?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    uh... This is a business device first. They've thrown in alot of entertainment features this time around but mostly so they can make more money. I surely don't place this as the #1 reason to but a 700p. Not anywhere near that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast