Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Ok I did my homework and leanred about AAC now.. i just figured I'd convert the tones I wanna use for ringers to AAC so theyre supported without a ring manager.now to get a 700p and find out....
    Ringo Pro works (ver 4.25) on the 700P.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I agree that Palm is definately wrong in this. Anything else that requires third party options or optional accessories lists it as such. However, there is no evidence anywhere on Palm's website that you need a third-party option. It isn't until you dig into the manual located on the device that you find that it does, in fact, require third-party software. It isn't false advertising, per se. However, Palm could certainly get into trouble for not putting a diclaimer that it requires third-party software. I think if someone does want to raise the legal issue on this, then they should wait until after the product has been released. If Palm makes the change now, they might be able to get away with it because the product hasn't been released. As I have said before, bad Palm, go to your room!

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Be very wary of Ringo. Version 4.451 works but is a bit flacky and unstable. Yes, the ringtones do work, but you will notice that any numbers or contacts that are not listed in Ringo will show up as "Unknown Contact." I have already let Electricpocket know about the various problems that are arising. The "Unknown Contact" error as well as the Picture button being dead. You can uninstall it or Disable it and it will work like it is suppose to minus the MP3 ringtones.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    What version of Lightwav Pro do u have?
    Ver 1.6
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Im sick of using 3rd party programs. bought 3 now. only mring works well for me and its not working.
    not cool.
    I do not have a 700p and I will NOT upgrade from my year and a half old 650 if MP3 and wavs aren't supported (period!)

So I contacted tech support at Palm and was advised that the 700p has Pockettunes included in the ROM. In order to use files other than midis, you will need to use that program.

Can anyone with a 700p, confirm or deny this claim?

Thanks
    K
    Has anyone tried Phone Technician yet? I am using that for my ringtone manager on my 650. I believe the latest version does not require an MP3 player, but I never upgraded since I already have pTunes (and still will on the 700p if it ever arrives).
    The Treo 650 supports WAVs as ringtones.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Can someone please just convert an MP3 to AAC and see if it will work? If so, then that's all we will need to do instead of using third party apps.

Someone please test and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Can someone please just convert an MP3 to AAC and see if it will work? If so, then that's all we will need to do instead of using third party apps.

Someone please test and report back.
    If Pockettunes in included in the ROM, then is it really using a "third" party app?

K
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    If Pockettunes in included in the ROM, then is it really using a "third" party app?

K
    Pockettunes is only for MP3 playing, not ringtones, though, right? This is an entirely different issue. Yes, because of Pockettunes we can use the 700p as an MP3 player out of box, but the specs sheet specifically says MP3 and video ringtones.

I get the feeling someone in marketing really screwed up this time.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    The count is right.

Now can someone please, please, please test AACs as ringtones???
    Here is a link to an AAC ringtone if someone with a 700p would be so kind to test:

http://rapidshare.de/files/8695005/Cartoons.aac.html

It's an annoying ringtone, but its the first one I found on a google search. It's 123k.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I do have to say that if there really isn't a way to set MP3s as ringtones, Palm will be getting a very nasty letter from me with words like "False advertising" very prominently featured. One of the reasons I am upgrading from my 650 is because the 3rd party ringtone software out there tends to make my 650 unstable, and I"m sick of dealing with it. That text on the specification page led me to believe that hte 700 would support MP3 rings natively so that I wouldn't be at the mercy of Ringo any more (don't even get me STARTED on how bad Lightwav was).
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trager
    (don't even get me STARTED on how bad Lightwav was).
    Lightwav Pro is working fine on my 700p. Keeping fingers crossed
    Keep us posted on your Lightwave. I have tried RingoPro with less than steller results. I like the 700P. There are some downfalls to the device, but aside from a couple quirks, it works very well. EVDO is fantastic. Pockettunes is for MP3 playback not ringtones. I have Ringo still on the phone because it doesn't create other problems, but it has been disabled. I am currently using Modernlo as ringtone. Can't wait to get a real ringtone program that works. I guess that is what happens to people the early adopters. Everyone keep us posted.

Chris
    If it's true that native mp3 ringer support isn't there, you should all call palm and file a case regarding this. They can't falsely advertise and get away with it. I smell a lawsuit
    Even if for some odd reason pTunes was able to be used for MP3 ringtones (it's not), they would still be telling fibs about the video ringtones. If someone wants to file a complaint, I am all for it. As I have said before, though, they should wait until after it's released for two reasons. One, it may (though not likely as we haven't heard anything from the people who have already received them) include something on the included CD. And second, if there isn't, then it would be best to wait so that Palm cannot change the specs before the big release. As long as it doesn't say "requires third-party software" or something similar, it's false advertising. There are people who actually would buy this phone because of things like video ringtone. I can't say I'm personally one of them, but there are people like that.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Wow, sometimes simple questions on this forums are hard to find answers to... does anyone with a 700p know whether AAC ringtones are supported? It would be nice if we could find this out. Although it wouldn't excuse Palm from their false advertising, it would certainly be more convenient for users...no more messing with unstable third party programs...

FYI, dbpoweramp (plus the AAC codec) and mptrim are great programs for making AAC ringtones...use mptrim to trim your mp3 to the desired length (I usually do 30 seconds for my A900) and then use dbpoweramp to convert to AAC.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast