1.    #1  
    First of all let me give a bit of background.. I love mobile phones and most of all PDAs. Between May of 2005 and today I have tried every phone Cingular offers from the flip phones to the PDAs. The Treo 650 is the best phone Cingular offers in my opinion. The 700P is almost too great a temptation to resist and if Cingular was releasing it I would already have plans to camp out in front of their store to get the first one.

Having come to terms with my addiction I am seriously considering the 700P, but I still have a few concerns.

I tested Sprint's service awhile back using one of their very cheap flip phones that only costs about $22. Lets just say the signal at my home leaves something to be desired (Cingular's signal isn't great either).

So here are my questions:

1) Would the 700P's signal be any better (using standard CDMA data/voice.. we don't have EVDO where I live yet) than the small flip phone?

2) Is it possible to use the SERO plan with EVDO and what plan/options do I need to make EVDO work? (I travel quite a bit and will be able to use EVDO quite a bit when I travel.)

3) The phone supposedly costs $399.99, but the charge is for $549.99. Is the rebate a mail in rebate or is the $150 credited to the Sprint account towards the bill?

4) Would having tried Sprint's service and then canceled it (within the 14 days) have any effect on my ability to sign up for SERO or get a 700P?

5) How usable is Sprint's CDMA data at 1/2 bars of signal/weak signal?

6) Do you have any recommendations of things to consider or things I might need/want to know when switching to Sprint? (Please note: this when answering that.)

Thank you very much for your help... I need my fix!
    Last edited by LP-Trel; 05/26/2006 at 03:08 AM.
    Zach Roberts
    Director - Lifeless People Networks Ltd.
    http://www.lifelesspeople.com/ - Pay by Post™ Webhosting
    1. My 650 gets better reception than a cheap Nokia on Cingular. You would really need to check with other Sprint users in your area for a more definitive answer.

2. Yes, you need Power Vision for the 700p

3. Credit toward Sprint bill according to Palm's website (look at the note on the left side as you are ordering).

4. If you did this in the past, it should not matter. You followed their rules and should not have a negative mark against you.

5. I am not sure, but it would probably depend on the phone.

6. Coverage in your area, CDMA limits you to the US and limits your carriers you can switch to with the phone, and phone resale value is not as high as an unlocked GSM model (generally) because you have a smaller buying audience.

The opinions stated here do not necessarily reflect those of this station http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I didn't bother to read your entire lengthy post, but I just want to add my 2 cents.

For me, I too switched from Cingular to Sprint.

Cingular's coverage is unbelieavably incredible where I am at, and get full bars almost everywhere I go.

With Sprint, I barely get 1 bar in my room.

HOWEVER, it seems that even though there is only 1 bar with CDMA Sprint, the call quality is much clearer than my T650 on Cingular.

To be frankly honest- I do not care which provider is better than the other, nor do I care which provider I use... I am looking out for my wallet first. If it works, and if the price is cheaper, I am (did) willing to jump ship.

I have to admit though. Sprint does give me lots of drop calls in many places (as compared to Cingular). But I am not making million dollar business deals, so my calls can wait.

PS. I live in a metropolitan area so all carriers work around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    I do not care which provider is better than the other, nor do I care which provider I use... I am looking out for my wallet first.
    I bet you're a quantity over quality person also. I have learned, sometimes the hard way, that you get what you pay for and will now take quality almost every time.
    I didn't bother to read your entire lengthy post, but I just want to add my 2 cents.

Cingular's coverage is unbelieavably incredible where I am at, and get full bars almost everywhere I go.

HOWEVER, it seems that even though there is only 1 bar with CDMA Sprint, the call quality is much clearer than my T650 on Cingular.

To be frankly honest- I do not care which provider is better than the other, nor do I care which provider I use... I am looking out for my wallet first. If it works, and if the price is cheaper, I am (did) willing to jump ship.

I have to admit though. Sprint does give me lots of drop calls in many places (as compared to Cingular). But I am not making million dollar business deals, so my calls can wait.

I agree. Tried Sprint for a few days, the signal is terrible. No signal at all in most building of Stanford while T-mobile has 4 bars.

I think the key that Sprint can survive is because the very high price of Verizon. The plans of Sprint are really cheap and flexiable, also the phones in Sprint network are almost latest. But the signal is ....
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.

Which metro area?
    Last time I checked, my suburban area had horrible T-Mobile coverage and quite good Sprint coverage. Point being: there is no one "best" carrier (in terms of signal coverage) for everyone. For me, Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular are all pretty comparable, so I decide based on other factors like price and phone selection.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Doesn't Sprint roam on Verizon anyways? If so, coverage should be as good as Verizon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer