Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read that the 700p now supports synching contacts along with calendar and email via Exchange Active Sync which is really cool. However I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it supports the PUSH technology instead of having to schedule a synch?

I am guessing not since the 700w just now supports it via a firmware upgrade. Anyone know of any rumors of this happening.

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, no. The Versamail application that comes bundled with the phone is an improved version of what has been seen previously. The push functionality on the stock 700W is the result of Microsoft's software combination of Exchange, their Mobile OS and an MSFP (Messaging & Security Features Pack if I remember correctly).

You can get PUSH on the cheap from a couple of different sources. If you have an IMAP ready account, you can download Chatteremail. It's a very good program. It's e-mail only. It doesn't push anything else (contacts, calendar, tasks or memos).

Additionally, the developer of Chattermail (who is VERY active on these boards) has developed a new plugin for Chatteremail where you can get PUSH e-mail from an Exchange server. In this case, while it is currently limited to e-mail alone, the developer has publicly stated that he is developing the capability to push other data (I believe that calendar info is next). This will definately be a software package to watch.

I have used both the 700W and the 700P and while the native Exchange functionality in the 700W is fantastic, I still believe that the 700P offers a much easier user interface as well as an overall better user experience. It will cost you a few dollars to get that PUSH MS Exchange e-mail on your 700P as compared to a 700W, but its worth it in the end.

Good luck!
    I would have to agree with Steve, Dataviz has licenced Directpush from microsoft but they do not have a directpush client for the 700p or any palm device only the sybian devices, I beleave it is coming and if that is the case you will have a directpush for the 700p that would be a great for everyone ...
    Good point gibby, I completely overlooked DataViz's RoadSync application. Hopefully they will be able to come up with their 2.0 version for the Palm OS.

I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that there are other offerings that will do PUSH, but are more cumbersome. Verizon bundles their Wireless Sync application (rebranded Intellisync app) and Sprint bundles their Business Connect application (rebranded Seven app). Both of these require the use of an always-on desktop to act as a redirector for your data, which is inconvenient, but they are available.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    Good point gibby, I completely overlooked DataViz's RoadSync application. Hopefully they will be able to come up with their 2.0 version for the Palm OS.

I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that there are other offerings that will do PUSH, but are more cumbersome. Verizon bundles their Wireless Sync application (rebranded Intellisync app) and Sprint bundles their Business Connect application (rebranded Seven app). Both of these require the use of an always-on desktop to act as a redirector for your data, which is inconvenient, but they are available.
    Are you saying that Sprint's Business Connect application can push to Versamail if you have an always-on computer? I have always-on computers at home but they are Linux machines. I wonder if anyone has tried to reverse engineer the protocol used by this application so that a version could be written to run on Linux IMAP servers?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Are you saying that Sprint's Business Connect application can push to Versamail if you have an always-on computer? I have always-on computers at home but they are Linux machines. I wonder if anyone has tried to reverse engineer the protocol used by this application so that a version could be written to run on Linux IMAP servers?
    You might consider VMWare server for one of your Linux boxes if they have the resources. It would be overkill though IMO. If your IMAP server supports IDLE, you could use Chatter for push mail on your Treo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Oh what a pleasure this thread is!
    At last a thread which stayed right on topic had fluent use of the language, excellent replies.
    Sorry, the last few WEEKS on TC have been chaos at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Oh what a pleasure this thread is!
    At last a thread which stayed right on topic had fluent use of the language, excellent replies.
    Sorry, the last few WEEKS on TC have been chaos at best.
    Well, I don't know about burritos but the best fish tacos I ever had were at a place in San Diego. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    He He here we go
    Now that I think about it VBWare might work better (Virtual Burrito). The only problem is that it won't interface with tacomail on the Treo without the chalupe adapter.
    Rubio's is a good large chain for fish tacos. Here in Long Beach there is a place called Hole Mole. They have fish tacos for $1.50 each or 12 for $11.99 (and they are good)!!! Del Taco even has some decent fish tacos. As you can see I am a big fish taco fan. Rubio's fish burrito is very good also. It used to come with pinto beans inside but you could opt for black beans. Now they make it with black beans by default but to me it's not as good. I would opt for the pinto beans if I were you. Has anyone tried any of these places? Know of any better places?
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    You might consider VMWare server for one of your Linux boxes if they have the resources. It would be overkill though IMO. If your IMAP server supports IDLE, you could use Chatter for push mail on your Treo.
    Yeah, definitely VMWare would be overkill. And now that I think of it, I really do want it to automatically sync contacts with work so I guess I'll stick with Versamail and Exchange ActiveSync. Would it actually work to use EA with versamail to automatically sync contacts but to use Chatter w/IDLE for actual email? I'm assuming EA syncs the Treo's contact database so any changes it makes would be usable in Chatter?

I've never used Chatter before. Is it as full featured as Snapper (my current favorite)? Does Snapper do IDLE?
    I currently use a program called nexchange corp lite ($29) that syncs my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with my Exchange server on my 650. This program uses the actual palm database rather than its own, which is nice.

I then use Chatter for my mail, since Exchange's IMAP implementation supports IDLE. Combined with nexchange, I get push mail and OTA sync for calendar, notes, etc.

If you choose nexchange, I would suggest turning off the outlook syncing on your local HotSync. This helps prevent duplicates.

I don't have my 700p yet, so I don't know how well the activesync works on it. The version for the 650 doesn't sync the calendar, but I believe the 700 version does.
    Last edited by stroths; 05/27/2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC

Ture Sprints Business connect does do push but the last time I used that it works with sms messaging and the products you talk about have monthy fees invloved, that is why I like microsofts directpush, no monthly fees and 0 cost if you have a windows mobile 5 device, as for dataviz its a onetime fee of 49 dollars, well worth "live email" with no sms charges and it does not drain the battery of you treo. I wish I know other products that have licenced the directpush technology.
    Can you guys stay on topic here. Anyone else know of good fish taco or burrito places?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Can you guys stay on topic here. Anyone else know of good fish taco or burrito places?
    To be honest with you, I thought a fish taco was slang for a female body part until I was a teenager . Here in North Texas, you don't here much about real fish tacos.
    what ever happened with the software "Blackberry Connect"? I thought they had this for the 650?
    stroths - ROFLMAO!!! Wow! I like those too though.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I currently use a program called nexchange corp lite ($29) that syncs my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes with my Exchange server on my 650. This program uses the actual palm database rather than its own, which is nice.

I then use Chatter for my mail, since Exchange's IMAP implementation supports IDLE. Combined with nexchange, I get push mail and OTA sync for calendar, notes, etc.

I don't have my 700p yet, so I don't know how well the activesync works on it. The version for the 650 doesn't sync the calendar, but I believe the 700 version does.
    Thanks for the good info. I'll check out Nexchange and also the new Chatter. The only gotcha is they both seem to want unfettered access to the OWA server. My organization puts our OWA server behind an application level proxy that handles authentication in a different way so I'm sure it won't work directly. But I can probably set up some sort of VPN deal to make it work.
    For Chatter to work with Exchange server, they must have IMAP enabled. It is not enabled by default in Exchange server.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast